AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased this unit. Hard to find online, but local BB had several in stock. This unit was $50 cheaper than the LG-511. No info on Toshiba's website which was odd. I believe this is the same unit as the SD-5980 only that it will play mpeg 4/divx files and has no card slots. This was one of the reasons why I purchased this. The primary reason is that my wife finds turning on my HTPC and opening my DVD app a real hassle.

This unit is really slim, not only height but depth as well. Happy to note that all features are accesible thru the remote. Don't have to get up and walk to the player to change resolutions on the unit. I am using HDMI only to 50" plasma.

DVD PLAYBACK

Popped in the DVD with resultion to 480P. (Note - no option for 480i thru HDMI) No lip synch issues. Image is stunning, but not HD. I switched resolutions to 720P to 1080I but do not see much difference. Don't know how to test how good Deinterlacing is, but I don't notice any jaggies. Don't know how to test for Blacker than black. I watched Sin City which is a dark movie with no issues. Zoom feature neatly eliminates black bars for those non anamorphic widescreen movies. Display button shows DVD info as well as realtime Bitrate information as well as time remaining. Audio button easily switches from DD to DTS or any other Audio formats. Brightness and Edge enhancements were the only video adjustments.

DIVX PLAYBACK

Was able to play all my Divx movies with no issues as far as lip synch. Had the DVD set to 16X9 and with movies formated in letterbox were stretched automatically to fill the screen. This was cool but image look distorted with certain resolutions. I believe this is normal on Divx players. The only way around it was to set the dvd player back to 4X3 letterbox, then image is unstretched with black bars on top and bottom. Display button showed the source's resolution and audio information, which was very useful.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase because it serves my purpose. Overall, picture quality was better than expected

PROS

Ease of Use for the wife

All features accessible from remote

No lip synch issues

Very thin

Great picture via HDMI

CONS

To get to Dvd player's setup menu, you have to stop the movie

Blue light on the Dvd tray maybe annoying to some

No 480I thru HDMI

·
Registered
23 Posts
:( :(

Hello All,

I would like to inform all that are considering the purchase of this DVD player to *** BE WARNED ***. I was torn between this unit @ $100.00 vs the Sony unit +$50.00 @ $150.00. Both units were at the local BB. I fought myself for about 15 minutes between the two units. I have had several issues with DVD players in the past (Apex, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Zenith, etc.) but never an issue with Sony.

Both units have:

Up conversion

HDMI

Digital Audio

1080i

Sleek design

“Claim†to play DVD-/+R

So I watched Transporter 2 in Widescreen format. The player was amazing. Remote was not too complicated for the Mrs. The Blue Light on the front was a tad annoying / distracting but at the same time pretty cool-looking. I was digging it!

So what is my *** WARNING *** on this player, the claim that it plays all media formats. My CHEAP APEX and my Sony both play the “backup†DVDs that I currently have on DVD-R and DVD+R. But guess who won’t play these movies THE TOSHIBA SD-4980.

SO BUYERS BE WARNED > this unit does not play the formats that it says it will.

2 THUMBS DOWN IMO!!!

:( :(

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Just hooked this unit up to my Panasonic HDTV (CRT) via HDMI. My main reason for purchasing this player was for the DivX/XviD feature. I have been backing up my AVI's on Optodisc 2X DVD-RW discs. These play perfectly on this player! The first night, I watched 6 XviD movies in a row without a glitch! I played MP3's on a DVD-R disc (my 20 album Frank Sinatra archive) with no problems. And it does support "long file names".

When viewing DivX movies @1080i the picture is so close to a standard DVD it IS incredible!

My only real complaint...the HDMI output defaults to 480P, and I have to select 1080i every time I turn on the player. And yes, the blue LED's are bright!

If anyone is interested, I can post info on other disc/media compatability.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what your problem was, but all my backup DVD's play without issues on both DVD-R and DVD+R. What did you use to backup up those DVDs? Perhaps if you take those problematic DVDs and ran it thru DVD Shrink and burned it on a reputable blank DVD-R and DVD+R disc, it would playback.

On another note, the blue light can be disabled temporarily in the menus.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Want to hear something strange... Yes it would play the DivX files but not the other Images that I had. I went through about 10 movies that I knew played on my "El Cheapo" Apex and worked. I can't say that no movie on the DVD-R / DVD+R worked. I did find a few movies... don't ask me why... but on the same Media and burnt with the same software that did work.

Hey but now I don't have to worry about that anymore... I returned the player and I now have the Sony DVPNS70H. Now this does what I want.

*NO BLUE LINE - but does have a blue light... similiar to that on my other sony DVD player.

*720p/1080i Upscaling

*DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW, & DVD+R Playback

*HDMI connection :)

*GREAT IMAGE... But all units around this price point ($150.00) are pretty good.

IMO if you are having a hard time picking a player.... don't think too long just get the Sony DVPNS70H worth the $$$ :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
On my unit I have found that it has trouble playing DVD+R's made using a Sony (LiteON) DVD Recorder. If I use my Pioneer to burn the DVD+R's, the Toshiba will play them flawlessly. Both DVD Recorders (computer-based, not home units) have the latest firmwares.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.