AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone had any experience with this player and if so what are your impressions of it?

Quote:
DVD upconversion via HDMI Video Upconversion - 720p/1080i

Video D/A 14-Bit/108MHz

ColorStream Pro® Progressive Scan Component Video Output

Playback** DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW

Audio

Audio D/A 192 kHz/24 bit

Dolby® Digital and DTS® Compatible Output

Convenience

Parental Lock

New Super Slim (40mm) chassis with a high gloss black acrylic panel with attractive silver accents

Jackpacks

HDMI

ColorStream Pro® Component Video Output

S-Video

Coaxial Digital Audio Output
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/prod...?model=sd-5000

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Zoran chipset. Average player but nothing special. Go with Mediatek chipset for affordable, decent HDMI players.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wanted to add that there was some user reviews up at Amazon.com saying that this player pauses throughout movies. I can confirm this. It's just 3-5 second pauses, 1-3 times per movie.

Anyways going back possibly for a A2

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to add(not that this is a popular player lol) that I now watched 5 movies with this player. 3 had pauses and 1 wouldn't play. The one that didn't play did play in the 360 without a hitch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Regarding the pauses, the Teac DV-5120HD is also a Zoran 888 chipset DVD player and I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael on videohelp dot com /forum/post/0

To prevent the jittering, pixelating and locking up caused by the zoran chip overheating, a heat sink needs to be installed.

Is it possible that heat and lack of heatsink is the trouble with the Toshiba player as well? Perhaps early engineering samples of the Zoran 888 could stand greater levels of heat than current production chips. In any case, you would think there'd be a bit more field testing before production.

Can anyone verify whether the pauses become more frequent at higher environmental temperatures and if removing the cover and blowing cool air on the chip solves the problem with pauses?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Why bother when you can get a Mediatek player like Philips 5982 for $65 from BB locally (12% off for Rewards members or 10% off for non-Rewards members this weekend).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey /forum/post/0

Why bother when you can get a Mediatek player like Philips 5982 for $65 from BB locally (12% off for Rewards members or 10% off for non-Rewards members this weekend).

After trying this toshiba and the Sony 5 disk player, that phillips is the one I finally settled in on. For the price it just can't be beat and it won't feel bad if I decide in 3 months that I want to make the jump to HD.

Just to add The Sony was great it was just way to big and I couldn't fit it on my entertainment center. No sweat though, that phillips was half the cost of the Sony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.