AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tosh 5970 upconverting DVD player has been locking up recently. It will completely lock up and you hear a fairly loud clicking noise. The only way to get any response from it is to eject the disc or shut it off.


I bought this while it was on sale a couple years ago and I also bought the Best Buy Product service plan. I turned it in to be repaired/replaced but when I looked at their current selection of upconverting Toshiba DVD players the only thing that they carry now is the SD-4990 which is an inferior unit.


The Sale price for the 5970 that day was 109.00 instead of the normal 199.00 and the price for a 4990 is 99.00.


So if they can't repair the machine I can see them trying to stick me with a 4990. My Question is do I have a leg to stand on as far as demanding a comparable performance piece of equipment or since I got a deal on it 2 years ago am I stuck with a comporably priced machine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


I bought this while it was on sale a couple years ago and I also bought the Best Buy Product service plan. I turned it in to be repaired/replaced but when I looked at their current selection of upconverting Toshiba DVD players the only thing that they carry now is the SD-4990 which is an inferior unit.

What specifically is inferior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


The Sale price for the 5970 that day was 109.00 instead of the normal 199.00 and the price for a 4990 is 99.00.

What does a price from "a couple of years ago" have to do with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


So if they can't repair the machine I can see them trying to stick me with a 4990. My Question is do I have a leg to stand on as far as demanding a comparable performance piece of equipment or since I got a deal on it 2 years ago am I stuck with a comporably priced machine?

Is this a troll?


David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedorian /forum/post/0


What specifically is inferior?



What does a price from "a couple of years ago" have to do with this?



Is this a troll?


David

Wow, I certainly didn't see this type of reaction to my question. On Toshibas own website it is listed as a step down from what I bought.


The price from a couple years ago could be important because TODAYS MSRP for my unit is still $199.00 while I got it on sale with rebates for just over $100 and TODAYS MSRP for the 4990 is $99.


and wtf about the troll comment? What am I trolling? Did I in any way degrade the product and try to start a flame war over something?


Your post identifies you as a Troll more than my original post ever could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


Wow, I certainly didn't see this type of reaction to my question. On Toshibas own website it is listed as a step down from what I bought.

You didn't answer the question.

What specifically is inferior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


The price from a couple years ago could be important because TODAYS MSRP for my unit is still $199.00 while I got it on sale with rebates for just over $100 and TODAYS MSRP for the 4990 is $99.

You got it for $100. That's what it was worth to you at the time. This stuff does not increase in value. MSRP is a useless number to all but the novice. The processors in today's units are superior to the processors from two years ago. The processors two years from now will be superior to today's processors. So again, what specifically is inferior?


David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedorian /forum/post/0


You didn't answer the question.

What specifically is inferior?



You got it for $100. That's what it was worth to you at the time. This stuff does not increase in value. MSRP is a useless number to all but the novice. The processors in today's units are superior to the processors from two years ago. The processors two years from now will be superior to today's processors. So again, what specifically is inferior?


David

I understand your point about processors and agree with you. I never said that this equipment increases in value. The Value of the unit when I bought it was $199 no matter what I paid for it.


If you research the development of the Toshiba players you will see that the SD-6980 is what the 5970 was replaced with and not the 4990.


Does the 4990 do everything that my 5970 could? Yes plus some, however thats not the point. The point is that the 4990 is not the replacement for the 5970 the 6980 is.


If we just looked at things from your perspective you could have bought a middle of the road Pioneer receiver 2 years ago with a replacement plan and have to get it replaced this year. Would you be happy with a barebones Pioneer receiver as a replacement because it is technically superior to your old unit or would you want the unit that was produced to replace your old unit?

Dude I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes on this issue but whatever gets you through the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


I understand your point about processors and agree with you. I never said that this equipment increases in value. The Value of the unit when I bought it was $199 no matter what I paid for it.

You don't understand my point. The value of the unit was what you paid for it. MSRP is meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


If you research the development of the Toshiba players you will see that the SD-6980 is what the 5970 was replaced with and not the 4990.

So what? The SD 6980 has a Zoran 778 chip in it. That's as low budget as you can get today. It's not even in current production so you'll be getting a unit with a chip that's at least two years old. What chip is in the 4990?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


Does the 4990 do everything that my 5970 could? Yes plus some, however thats not the point. The point is that the 4990 is not the replacement for the 5970 the 6980 is.

Do you have a clue why the 6980 has a higher MSRP? It's the audio processing. It has 5.1 analog processing. Do you have the equipment that can take advantage of this and are you willing to spend the money (about $20. per CD) to utilize this feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


If we just looked at things from your perspective you could have bought a middle of the road Pioneer receiver 2 years ago with a replacement plan and have to get it replaced this year. Would you be happy with a barebones Pioneer receiver as a replacement because it is technically superior to your old unit or would you want the unit that was produced to replace your old unit?

I'd want the unit that best meets my needs. If the chip in the 4990 is superior to the 6980, that what I want. I haven't opened the 4990 so I can't say what's inside but I'm sure it's at least comparable to the 778.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


Dude I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes on this issue but whatever gets you through the day.

I could care less what you do. You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't like to hear about your lack of perspective, so be it. I could care less.


David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for helping me with my "Lack of perspective". You do have valid points about the technological differences between the units however you could have presented them with a little more tact instead of being an a $ $hole from post one.


Anyway back ontopic here I got a phone call from BB the Tosh would cost more to fix than buying a new one would cost. So they are going to give me store credit in the amount that I purchased the unit for towards a new player. So I figure Toshiba HD-A1 or A2 here I come.


Thanks for the laughs Bike, I always enjoy talking to the socially challenged of the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger /forum/post/0


Thanks for helping me with my "Lack of perspective". You do have valid points about the technological differences between the units however you could have presented them with a little more tact instead of being an a $ $hole from post one.


Anyway back ontopic here I got a phone call from BB the Tosh would cost more to fix than buying a new one would cost. So they are going to give me store credit in the amount that I purchased the unit for towards a new player. So I figure Toshiba HD-A1 or A2 here I come.


Thanks for the laughs Bike, I always enjoy talking to the socially challenged of the world.

I have seen some A-1s on clearance at BB with a nice discount plus a $60 gift card. Personally I would go with the A2 or the new A20 if it has the superior processing that the AX-2 has. I have not been able to determine if it does or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,562 Posts
im on my second 5970. the 1st kept locking up on -r discs(it played store bought ones ok) so i sent it back. the new one is a little bit better but after i got a pan s77 i now use the 5970 for its very clean s-video circuitry for making dvd backup copies.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top