AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body have the above or has any comments about it in general.

I have the Infocus X1 FP and am wondering if this would be a good match.

Go easy on me boys, I'm just a girl who's getting her ears wet in the HT hobby!:p

Thanks; Jessica ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The SD-3800—and its DVD-Audio big brother the SD-4800—are reasonably good machines considering their everything-in-one-chip design.

The weakest point is that they do exhibit the Chroma Upsampling Error ("chroma bug") which is common to most of the lower-priced players (Panasonic being the biggest exception). The Toshiba does a much better job of covering up the error than other players, and the bug is said not to be observable on anything less than a 50" screen. In fact, early reports claimed that the Toshiba didn't have the bug at all.

The deinterlacing isn't Faroudja, but on the other hand, it's reportedly becoming very difficult to get a Faroudja-containing Panasonic since those units are now out of production. For a non-Faroudja player, the deinterlacing is said to be quite good.

Strong points for the Toshiba include a very flexible zoom feature, and the ability to display non-anamorphic (letterboxed) DVDs on 16:9 sets which lock into "full" mode when fed a progressive-scan signal. The user interface and remote control is reasonably well organized, at least in comparison with some brands (Panasonic's reputation in this regard is not exactly stellar); the SD-4800 has a universal remote.

If you're big on using the DVD player for music, you might want to consider something else. Both Toshiba models will play CDs, and the SD-4800 plays DVD-A but has no bass management (no inexpensive DVD-A players do). The Toshiba can play MP3s, but with some annoying limitations and a reportedly clunky user interface. They don't play SACD. The SD-3800 and SD-4800 can't play WMA, but the new SD-3900 supposedly can.

The Toshibas can play VCD but not SVCD, although I have read that SVCDs made with the header trick work.

I would be remiss not to point you to the Progressive Scan Shootout results for the SD-3800, but I caution that this is fairly detailed technical material, and definitely not in the category of "go easy on me" :) Keeping in mind that they only looked at the progressive scan video output under worst-case conditions, with no concern for audio, usability, durability, features, etc., or even for video performance under "ordinary conditions", their summary was:
Quote:
Overall, this is a good player in lots of areas. ... The biggest flaw in our opinion is the Chroma Upsampling Error.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Infocus X1 has Faroudja (DCDi) built-in so I would just get a good interlaced player and let the PJ do the deinterlacing and scaling. You can also use the Tosh SD3800 in interlaced mode.

You can still find Faroudja based progressive player for cheap: Sharp DV-S2U or DV-S25U for $100 or so. Panny XP30 can be bought for $200 and XP50 for $300. Even the RP82 can be bought if you look overseas or pay out the nose. The CP-67 (no DVD-Audio) and CP-72 are also DCDi based 5-disc changer players (same video guts of RP-62 and RP-82 respectively). The older RP-62 can still be found for $120 or so (build date of 8/02 or earlier). The newer RP-62 or S35 Pannys don't have DCDi any more.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doug & Huey for the great info, ;)

Huey, when you say "just get a good interlaced player", am I correct that your reccommending a Progressive (480p/480i) player?

Thanks; Jessica

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
No what I mean is one of the reason the X1 is so great is it has a good scaler/deinterlacer built-in (most Infocus PJs have good video processing). Thus, you don't necessarily need progressive (slightly more expensive) DVD player. For example most decent interlaced player are under $100 while progressive players will be over $100.

You may get slight improvement if you go with a DCDi progressive player as it process the image digitally and saving a step inside the player. I really doubt you'll notice, at least not at SVGA resolution of your X1 :D

Also, all progressive player has interlaced mode to be compatible with older TVs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Huey:

Does the X1 have the DCDi film mode detection (inverse telecine, 3:2 pulldown) enabled? If not, then it probably would still make sense to use a progressive scan DVD player that has good inverse telecine, at least for DVDs that are film transfers.

Jessica:

Sorry if this sounds like we're talking over your head. Faroudja DCDi is currently "The Best" way to convert interlaced video to progressive scan. If you want to try to figure out what this is all about, check out the DCDi Overview .

Most DVD players don't use Faroudja DCDi; Huey listed some that do. Your projector has DCDi built-in. The best result would definitely be to use a DCDi-equipped progressive-scan player. Barring that, the question is whether 'tis better to use the player's non-DCDi progressive scan, or to use the player's interlaced output to feed your projector's DCDi?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
 http://www.projectorcentral.com/infocus_x1.htm
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,887370,00.asp
http://www.avdeals.ca/infocusproject.../x1_manual.pdf (X1 manual)

I don't own one but from all that I've read. It does have Faroudja DCDi film mode detection. DCDi by definition has 3:2 pulldown.

Here is an older list of DCDi PJ (X1 is too new for this list but it too has DCDi): http://www.dcdi-video.com/products/pro/

Here is a review on DCDi by sspears, et al: http://www.dcdi-video.com/technology...-overview.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Seeking enlightenment ;)

What little I know comes from the Spears document that we both referenced. That document says, about the FLI2200 Faroudja DCDi chip:
Quote:
There is optional external memory that can be used ... If the memory is not used, then film mode detection is disabled and all deinterlacing is video mode. You would never want this in a DVD player, but it would be just fine in a display device (a projection TV).
and
Quote:
When we say Film mode, we are to the algorithm that will detect the 3-2 pulldown cadence and weave the two fields of video into one that would match the original frame of film.
From this I drew the inference that "3:2 pulldown" is not always enabled, and the place that it would most likely not be enabled is in a projector.

Did I misunderstand what Spears was saying?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I kinda disagree with Stacey, I don't think it would be OK to leave out film mode on a projector. I'm not sure he means what that says - I'll ask him and maybe he'll phrase that a slightly different way. In practice, I don't know of any implementation that does leave out the external memory. The X1 is no exception; it has film mode.

For what it's worth, DCDi is not film mode. It's a specific algorithm used to smooth edges in video mode. People have it confused with other parts of Faroudja's technology, which is understandable because Faroudja promotes it relentlessly. But DCDi doesn't really have anything to do with film mode detection.

Best,

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.