AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I think I have narrowed down my selection to these two players. I have had a toshiba interlaced player for a couple of years with no problems so I am a little partial to the Toshiba. They both are progressive scan, DVD-Audio, CD-R/RW playback, MP3 playback etc... The JVC is around $270.00 and the Toshiba around $240.00. I can even buy either of these at Best Buy which is good if I need to return one of these(although Best Buy only carries the ugly gold version of the JVC). I have heard the chipset for the JVC is a little better. Is this true? Does one have better audio processing capabilities? Is the on-screen text for MP3s better on one of them? Help I need to make a decision because I am tired of watching interlaced dvds on my HDTV!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had this player for 3 days now. I find the progressive video and DVD-audio output meet my expectations; though it should be noted this is the first progressive scan player I have owned. I am viewing on a Toshiba 50h81.

While I have never been into MP3's, I thought this may be a good way to use my stereo for casual mp3 listening. So far I have been unable to get the SD-4700 to play back a MP3 with any acceptable quality. I have tried 2 media types, Memorex silver CD-R and Verbatim blues (which seems to work best on just about any player.) I have encoded several tracks at several bit rates from 128, 160, 192, 256, and 320. They sound fine on 2 different PC's, but the 4700 plays all bit rates back with an artifact I find hard to describe.

I am torn with taking it back because aside from this I like this player. But Toshiba states this player can read mp3 discs, and even though the box has a disclaimer it may not read all MP3 media, it seems to be extremely picky.

Both CD-R's have been 80 minute CD-R's so I am thinking that a 74 minute CD-R may help the situation, but I am not holding my breath. Has anyone had a good experience with this player and MP3 audio? :(

millertime, the mp3 on screen display, if I remember correctly, is 8 characters and I believe uses the ~ notation to cut off the track name. 8 characters is not much, but I guess it gets the job done. Sub-directories are displayed one at a time by using the left/right arrows and up down navigated between mp3 files. I have been unable to scan FF or Rev while playing a file - disappointing...but all this is moot given my playback quality is so poor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
aem2112, thanks for the info about the mp3 support for this player. i had asked mp3-related questions about this player in another thread, but haven't gotten a response there so far. Then I stumbled upon your posting here in this thread.

If your mp3 experience with this player is what the average person is going to encounter with this player, this is very disappointing news. I can't believe the playback quality is poor like that, even with an mp3 encoded as high as 256 or 320. That's sad. Also, I just can't believe they only suport 8 characters! That's just plain pathetic. And no ff/rev during an mp3 song? Again, unacceptable.

I just really don't understand what is so hard about making a player that has DECENT mp3 support. All I want is a player that can play mp3s with acceptable quality sound, support random play of an mp3 disc, support playlists for an mp3 disc, support ff/rew through an mp3 song file, and support 64-character mp3 filenames/titles. That's what I want, and unfortunately, I know of no current player that delivers this basic level (IMO) of support. I just don't understand why? Is mp3 suport really THAT difficult?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.