Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I purchased this player as a (i think it was one of the first) prog scan dvd players as part of a package which included my tosh 65h80 rptv in Oct 2000.

I noticed that it has the analog outs for dvd-a, but the specs in the owners manual mention 48 and 96 khz 20bit only.

My Panasonic RP82 mentions 4hz - 88khz (192 khz sampling) for dvd-a

Would someone care to shed some light on this for me?

When i purchased the 5109 i had never even heard of dvd-a and have been using the rp82 as my dvd-a player through the denon 5800/03.

I might think of throwing the 5109 into the mix due to it's dual tray and hdcd decoding if the specs are essentialy the same.

thanks

Peter m.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The 5109 is NOT DVD-A capable. It was out before the DVD-A spec was finalized. It has a built in DD decoder which is what the 5.1 analog outs are for.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Craig, and thanks,

Further inspection (fine print) of the owners manual indicate that you are right re dvd-a. I was still perplexed however since the 5109 has both coax and opt out so the analog jacks would seem superfluous.

Apparantly the 2ch are needed for HDCD and the 6 ch analog as well as 2ch HDCD allows you to incur a 3-D (n-2-2) spatializer from a company named Desper which is like a dolby prologic effect for 2 channel music. This feature has to be selected in the menu or the outputs do as you said. It's a 3rd way a playing DD5.1 and would showup on the faceplate as 6ch.

I guess the only advantage of moving this player to the media room would be the HDCD capability but i have since found out through the use of my PC as part of my HT that WindowsMedia 8 and 9 recognize and play HDCD's so the analog out of my sound card to my A/V reciever is handeling that so i guess the 5109 stays where it is.

Thanks again,

Peter m.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.