AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe how Toshiba is treating me!...My HD-A1 plays every movie except King Kong and Miami Vice...So I finally called them and since it's under warranty they said, send it in, so I did. Well today I get a call from a Toshiba service Tech and he tells me that my unit is being bench tested and that he see's from reading my notes that the player won't play King Kong or Miami Vice...I said, yes, that is correct...Well, he said we are very familiar with this problem and the HD-A1 will not play these 2 movies!...He then tells me that there is nothing wrong with the player and that not all movies are going to play on this unit and that I would have to live with it!!!!!!...I of course said, "NO WAY! JOSE!!!!!"...I said DO NOT SEND THAT PLAYER BACK UNTIL IT PLAYS KING KONG AND MIAMI VICE all the way through without shutting the unit down!...So now I'm waiting to see if they are going to swap it out for a HD-A2...I basically told them I won't accept it until it plays those movies....I just can't believe these fools expected me to accept a player that won't play certain movies!!! WHAT NERVE!!!!!!....

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevideoman69 /forum/post/0

My XA1 had to have the firmware update to play Kong. I assume you had the 2.0 FW? It seems odd they would tell you to live with it. Maybe they will send you an A2. I know that plays Kong. Good luck.

Yeah, I updated it to 2.0 months ago...The problem is those 2 movies actually play for a few minutes but then something on those discs causes the player to shut down and go to stand by...It's weird.

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/0

Maybe your discs are defective. So far, I've had 4 defective ones that I had to have replaced, 2 Universals and 2 Weinsteins.

ss9001

No I tried 3 copies of KK and 2 copies of MV...Also Toshiba is telling me that the A1 will not play those discs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just sent my unit in for repair. Bottom line, the unit has issues that need to be resolved. If Toshiba expects us to back HD-DVD, they need to stand by their product. For $500, the player should work without flaws.

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricot /forum/post/0

I just sent my unit in for repair. Bottom line, the unit has issues that need to be resolved. If Toshiba expects us to back HD-DVD, they need to stand by their product. For $500, the player should work without flaws.

Amen...

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken /forum/post/0

Also Toshiba is telling me that the A1 will not play those discs.

I have watched KK on the A1 so that can't be true

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
yes i have watched king kong about 4 times and own it. same with miami vice. but my a1 started acting up today i dunno im gonna unplug it a day and if it doesnt stop acting up i guess best buy will have to give me an a2 now but what sucks im gonna have to buy a new receiver which i wasnt really thinking switched my mind about getting one, since i was gonna buy a ps3

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
My second gen1 player (first was an HDA1, second an RCA) took a dump last night. Both quit reading HD-DVDs after 4 months of relatively light use, conveniently out of warranty. Both played King Kong just fine prior to crapping out and both continued to play regular dvds just fine.

I just bought an HDA2 from Circuit City and it's working fine, much faster and more responsive than the gen1 players were. This time I popped for the 3 year extended wty from CC and am hoping not to have to use it.

I am half deaf in one ear with constant tinnitus in both, so will not miss the TruHD over analog audio too much.

I am concerned because my new player is made in China and I read somewhere that some of the Chinese ones had a defect, but so far it's ok.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Until a few days ago, I was still on 1.2 firmware. I upgraded to 2.0 to play King Kong and Lady in the Water. Both movies gave me an error code when I tried to watch them on 1.2.

Well, Lady in the Water played with zero glitches after the upgrade, but King Kong had many long audio dropouts during the first hour and made the player shut off at 1 hour 13 minutes. After I got back to that point, it was flawless to the end.

I've watched a couple more movies and it was flawless. But, if I start having major issues with other titles, I'll ship it back to Toshiba also.

My hunch is the U Control feature is tripping the player up somehow...even during regular playback.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I would NOT take that excuse myself.

My A1 (with FW2.0) plays KK just fine, as a matter of fact, it plays ALL the discs I have without issue.

ANYONE that has problems like these should wash the discs(even if new), and try again, IF the disc is deemed ok(he tried 3, I think the odds of 3 bad ones is very small) then call Tosh IMMEDIATELY!!

They have NP at all fixing the units, but if you go over the 90 day portion of the warranty(LABOR), they will try and make you pay for the labor.

Alot of folks have balked at the Labor bill, and have been given a waiver/extension on that portion of the warranty(free labor for repairs), but they WON'T offer to fix it for free UNLESS you tell them that it's NOT FAIR that a $500 player craps out in 4+months.

To the OP: I would tell them that KK MUST be able to be played(all discs-without issues), there is NO EXCUSE, and I would NOT accept that lame answer as a final solution.

"Sorry, but the unit has issues with KK" Bahahaha, NO DEAL- FIX IT!!!.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
chukken,

I have an HD-D1 (walmart version of HD A1) and had problematic playback issues with King Kong. Audio sync, freezing issues.

I got fed up with it. Sent it to Toshiba for repair finally. No charge after I told them that I had waited hoping that a firmware update would repair the defect.

Anyway, received it back last week. Plays Kong fine. No audio glitches. No video freeze ups.

The guy that said the HD A1 will not play KK is full of it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm finding this player is very picky. The night before last KK would loose sound and the picture got real slow. I would fast foward it alittle then it was ok, but soon it would do it again this had to happen 10 plus times. So last night I un plugged everything for about 30 minutes and I mean everthing TV as well. I read in the manual when plugging the player make sure TV and compents are off. So I plugged the player in first then the TV. I then cleaned the DVD its brand new and looked clean but I did it anyways. This worked for me the movie played flawless. I have 2.0 installed. I also had a problem before with Superman2 but just a simple swipe of the DVD fixed that you there was a small smudge that seemed to cause the problem.

·
Registered
15,503 Posts
I've had Kong for over a month and still can't play it. My player won't update it's software no matter how I try. I'm trying to talk to Toshiba about this and this thread isn't good for my confidence.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Rich

If you tried to DL AND use a KNOWN good disc(I've read you say that you have), and you can't get it to update no matter what, call Tosh and tell them that it won't update, which is unacceptable considering some HD DVDS REQUIRE 2.0

END OF STORY.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This thread is scaring the crap out of me. I Just bought a floor model A1 from BB dirt cheap with no remote, no documentation, no nothing. Just the player and the power cord. Can't upgrade the firmware from 1.2 to 2.0 until I get the new remote, so I have no clue what will happen with these discs until I upgrade. And if it won't read them in 2.0, then I'm screwed because I have no paperwork to go w/ the player except the sales receipt. Does anyone know if you need anything beyond the receipt and serial # to get service from Toshiba? If not all I can do is pray that a few months of use on the showroom floor hasn't screwed this thing up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
First I'm sorry anyone is having any problems with anything. That being said, realize that Toshiba (just like Sony or any other company) is bound to have some working for them that may be having an off day or just don't know what they're talking about. That can happen in any service environment (especially now, in the 21st century). I have heard countless stories about how bad Sony service is for example. So, does everyone get scared and abandon Sony when these incidents are revealed? I think not. I remember on Amazon that someone reviewing the HD-A2 said that a person at Toshiba told them that the A2 wouldn't upconvert DVDs - period; well, obviously it does. So, my point is, a second opinion (at least) might be advisable here too...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.