AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any guides to accessing and using the service menus on newer Toshiba RPTVs. I have a 42H82 and I would like to do a more thorough calibration for myself. I will be moving in the next 2 months so I don't want to pay for a proper ISF calibration just yet (I'll do that after the move) but I would like to get as good a picture as possible until then.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Press mute with the r/c. Press and hold mute with the r/c and (at the same time) press "menu" on the front of the TV. You should see a small "S" appear towards the upper left of the screen. That means you are at the service level. Pressing "menu" from remote or TV will access all the parameters in the service mode.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The 82s have a 1/2 mute setting. Press mute once before following the above instructions.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This doesn't seem to be working for me. Any other ways to access the service level menu?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Press mute on the remote, 1/2 MUTE will display on the TV. Press mute on the remote again and MUTE will display on the TV. Press and hold mute on the remote. While pressing mute, press menu on the TV an s will appear. Release all buttons. Press menu on the TV. RCUT will appear. You are in the menu.

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...rvicemenu.html

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, got it now.

I have writen down all of the factory settings.

Does anyone know of any guides online to help lessen the trial and error aspect a bit?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help guys I found a lot of info at your link Greywolf.

Did a nice 60 point convergence this evening and will work on some more touch ups tomorrow.

Again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Toshiba 57H82 that has noticeable speedbumps that I would like to fix. Are there any options in the service menu that can be used to

straighten out these bumps? Do I need to open up the set for any reason? (I really want to avoid doing that). Do I need to access the designer menu? (I understand from the Keohi site that designer mode is locked out for the newer Toshiba sets).

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Speedbumps are corrected with the the service menu convergence grid. The buttons on the remote once in the service menu are all the access required. The idea is to get the grid to conform to the measurements in the service manual first. The best way to do that is to make an overlay of the desired grid using tape and string or marker on acetate. I bought a grid overlay set but now consider the $150 excessive for single use when the measurements are in the service manual. I got my manual from pacparts.com but they did not have the H82s the last time I looked. You may be able to figure out the desired grid by checking the variations on your present set.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While running the AVIA overscan pattern last night, I discovered that the 5% line at the top of the screen was partially obscured, while at the bottom, the 3% line was clearly visible. I adjusted the HIT parameter so now the 4% line shows at the top, and the 2% line shows at the bottom. I would like to adjust these so that they are symmetrical (3% at top and bottom). Basically, I would like to move the entire screen down 1%. Unfortunately, the VPOS parameter that appears to control this is already at its lowest setting (00). I can only move the screen up from here (I tried decreasing 00, and it just wraps to FF and moves the screen as far up as it will go).

Does anybody know if there is another parameter for a 57H82 that can be used to move the screen down? I see a VCEN parameter (vertical centering, perhaps?), but I have not found any web site that acknowledges the existence of the VCEN parameter. I suppose I can give that a try, but I hate changing a parameter when I don't know what it's used for.

Also, what effect would this asymmetrical overscan have when placing a pre-manufactured geometry overlay on the screen to do the service convergence? If I can't correct the overscan problem, how could I compensate for it when doing the service convergence?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe you can simply move the screen up or down in the consumer menu. I'm not sure right now what the name of the option is but look through the regular menu. I know this is available somewhere on my 42H82.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a picture scroll feature that can be used in the TW modes, but I don't think that is going to help me. In any event, I searched through the AVS forums and found that VCEN does indeed mean vertical center, and this is the parameter I need to edit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
HDBurt,

W.r.t. your question about the overlay grid and overscan, you would have to know what overscan parameter the grid was designed in. I also ordered my 50HDX82 overlay from Next Big Thing Electronics, the owner (John G) indicated he sets the overlay grids to 5% overscan.

Regards,

PBC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I received my Toshiba 57" convergence overlay from Next Big Thing Electronics on Friday, and started using it yesterday. After placing it on my screen, I realized that it was slightly too tall to fit flat within the frame of the screen (57H82), so I cut 1/8" off of the top and bottom. It fit perfectly after that. It was also supposed to come with a section of double-sided 3M poster tape, but it didn't.

Then, I wanted to make sure the center of the set's convergence grid was at the center of the screen. I displayed the grid and used a tape measure to find the exact horizontal and vertical center of the screen with respect to the edges. I found that it was already vertically centered, but the horizontal center was about 1/4" off. I tweaked the HPOS parameter to get it at the exact center. At this point, I had the center of the convergence grid at the exact center of the screen.

Before I received the overlay, I assumed that the grid being sized to 5% overscan, it meant that I had to set the overscan on my set so that the 5% line on the AVIA overscan pattern was exactly at the edge of the screen. I did this part about a week ago. However, when I placed the overlay on the screen with the center of the overlay at the center of the set's grid, I saw that the lines on the grid weren't even close to the lines on the overlay. (It looked like the vertical lines were about 1/2-1" outside of where they should have been.) So, I increased the WID parameter to "squeeze" the grid lines in to fit better on the overlay. This had the effect of changing the overscan to about 2% (and it still really wasn't enough). I then performed the convergence, concentrating mostly on the vertical lines, since I have a bad speedbump problem that was very noticeable during panning scenes. The vertical lines were way out of whack! After the convergence, I pressed the Touch Focus button, as requested via the on-screen prompt, and I got a "Touch Focus Error R" message instead of "Callibration Completed". After panicking slightly, I watched Attack of the Clones with my son to avoid convergence grid burn in and to collect my thoughts. I eventually remembered reading a post that said if the Toshiba overscan was set to less than 3%, the touch focus feature wouldn't work. Later that evening, I verified that the overscan was indeed somewhere around 2%, so I changed the WID parameter again so that the 3% line of the AVIA overscan pattern was at the edge of the screen. I then displayed the grid and re-attached the overlay. Once again, I saw that the "columns" were way too wide, and it took signficant adjustments to get the grid lines to fall on the overlay lines. Again, I was concentrating on the vertical lines, I'll have to do the horizontal lines some other day, and it'll probably take a few iterations until they're perfect. Anyway, after completing the convergence and pressing Touch Focus, the set displayed the "Callibration Complete" message instead of the error message. And, more importantly, the speed bumps are gone.

So, I am now closer to achieving inner peace! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.