AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 34" Toshiba Direct View TV (34HF81) in Oct. 2001. In January 2002 I experienced some problems with the set and sent it in for service to a local "Authorized" repair center. 6 weeks later, after much calling, I got my set back with 1 of the 3 problems fully fixed (geometry issue), another problem partially fixed (noise in 4:3 stretch mode), and the third problem not fixed at all (red aliasing in 'Normal' mode). Since I really don't use the 4:3 Normal mode that much, I decided not to push the issue and have my set gone for an extended period again.

Fast forward to October 2002. The set starts to have the noise problem again and I am 2 weeks away from the end of my warranty. Worried that this could be a sign of a larger problem, I call Toshiba and find a different local repair center as I didn't want it to go back to the place that took 6 weeks to fix my TV the first time.

Well...a little over a month later, the new repair center tells me that they finally "ordered parts," but that Toshiba said 2 of the 8 parts are back ordered and it will be some time in mid January before the parts are in.

I have called the repair center and Toshiba multiple times to complain about how long this process has been taking. The repair center says it is out of their hands if the parts aren't available. Toshiba says there is nothing they can do. They will try to expedite the parts, but there is no guarantee. I am trying to get in touch with a manager at Toshiba to discuss a replacement, but so far I have not had any luck getting past the CSRs.

Am I wrong to think it is unreasonable to take this long for service? If I wait until January, the TV will have been in the shop for 10 weeks (not counting the additional 6 weeks from last year!). If I demand to get my TV back now, do I lose my right to a warranty claim? Do I have the right to a credit card dispute (chargeback for faulty equipment)?

I'm not looking for sympathy...really. I'm just curious if others have had bad service experiences and what can be done to jumpstart the process.

Thanks,

Jonnyb

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
I think they do this long drawn out warranty repair process in order to make the extended warranties seem more valuable. I suspect the free warranty repairs are put on the lowest priority of all customers!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that warranty repairs probably get the lowest priority. The annoying part is, I probably could have lived with the problems I had as long as they didn't get any worse. I was just upset that I spent a lot of money for an item and I expected it not to have these type of flaws. The most serious problem, video noise on theaterwide 1 mode, was really only noticeable on channel guide or set-up screens. During regular programming, it was harder to see.

Of course, since I knew it was there, I would look for it. Sometimes being a perfectionist/tweaker has its drawbacks. :(

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
This the reason I bought my HDTV with my local retailer that our family has been dealing with since 1956. I know the professional repair man for over 20 years.

Mr. Wayne Snover of Parkway apliances goes to *factory* school every 6 months, to keep abreast of the latest developments.

Since I have a 5 year warranty with him I feel realy safe next to all the problems this forum has with HDTV sets bought at the *cheapest* price, not with the local retailer who will give me top priority!

Since our family has dealt with Joe P. and Wayne S. for 46 years, of buying RCA Television sets and accesories!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.