AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on the Toshiba WEB site today and found a projector that I would be interested in. The Toshiba TDP MT5. It is listed as a HT projector.

When I tried to do a price search for this item I came up with no hits.

Does anyone know about this projector?

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Toshiba MT5/ Infocus LS110 / Studio Experience Cinema 12SF are ALL the SAME projector.

List price is $5k

I got mine for a little over $4k

The MT5's lowest price I've seen is $3800

Shop around.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

Do you like it?

What about the M7? Do you know what other names it is sold under?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I love my 12SF.

The best thing about it is that it has a dual mode chip that can project 16:9 and 4:3 both in Native format. No scaling required = No artifacts!

That and the Faroudja chip, too.

I don't know anything about the MT7.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Carl,

The MT5, ScreenPlay (LS) 110 and the Cinema 12SF are all the same unit with a different Vendors name on them.

All dual mode DLP chip (16:9/4:3) w/Faroudja video.

The MT7 is Toshiba's 16:9 LCD projector. Closer to the Sanyo 60HT or the Sony 10HT/11HT.

Both LCD and DLP have advantages and disadvantages to them. You'll find users on this forum who swear by the LCD and others who swear by the DLP.

Take your time and read about likes and dislikes for both technologies and then make you decision.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You have a choice of either LCD or DLP as long as you choose DLP. ;)

·
Registered
660 Posts
The MT7 is using Epson 16X9 LCD chip at 1280 x 720. It's a nice projector, if you like LCD.

Prices on both of these have dropped recently (sorry, Joel). The MT5 can be found for around $3700 and the MT7 is around $4100.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if the unit is sold under three names how do you now who actually makes it? When you go to each manufacturers WEB site it sounds like they made it and that they are responsible for the advances in the unit.

I was disappointed to find out that the M5 only has an 800 resolution, not 1080.

I do find it interesting, and it sounds like a goo d idea that the unit has both a 16x9 screen and a 4:3 screen. Should like a good idea that would prevent burn in.

I like the unit. Unfortunately it is a tad out of my price range. Though I prefer a project it looks like I'll only be able to purchase a rear projection unit.

Not all I need is a rear projector that will accept a digital video signal and I am all set.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
InFocus is the official manufacturer of the LS110, but I believe the actual manufacturing is handled by Coretronics (Optoma). The light engine is definitely Coretronics.

Burn-in is rarely a factor with digital projectors, and never with DLP's. Don't throw in the towel yet, Carl. Take a look at Optoma's EzPro 750. It is SVGA, has an excellent scaler (Silicon Image Sil504), and has a better video image than many XGA pj's. You should be able to find it in the $2400 range.

The NEC LT75Z is another nice bargain pj for video. The only real drawback is the fan noise, but in the neighborhood of $2200, the picture is gorgeous enough to make you forgive the noise. Give Jason Turk here at AVS an e-mail for exact pricing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.