AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out what is going on with this projector. On every website that sells it, it is advertised as "native 16:9 widescreen 1024*576". This would lead me to believe it uses the Matterhorn chip, but no where does it ever say this.

Toshiba lists it's spec as "1024x576p(DMD 1024x768)".

So is it an XGA chip that has internal masking to make it widescreen?

I can't see any other explanation.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
And from what I've read the outline of the 4:3 chip can be seen on the projected images. So, maybe they didn't mask it very well, or just turned some of the pixels off and left us with the light spill.

--Darin

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Toshiba has its pixels off in the unused portion of the panel and yes, the outline of the 4:3 panel is visible but won't be too bothersome if coupled with a 16:9 screen with black borders.

·
Registered
221 Posts
One seller's website actually says that this projector has the actual TI mattehorn chip on board. I posted their description in the thread about street prices on Mattehorn projectors.

Is the seller misinformed, or trying to pull a fast one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know the projector in detail, but... shouldn't be possible that the first units - released when the Matterhorn wasn't available in quantities - use a masked XGA, and the latter ones a real 16:9?

·
Registered
351 Posts
No,

it 's not just pluging in another chip that makes a new projector,

even if the dimensions of the chips would be the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.