AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I own a Toshiba TheaterView Projection TV w/ what they called the ColorStream which have YCrCb input. I am thinking of getting an Transcoder to improve over the current Svid Res. I downoad the manual from Toshiba but it doesn't say anything about the highest Res it can take, rather it's 480i or 480p or what? Does any know? Cuz if my TV can only support 480i then there's really no point of gettin an transcoder, right?

Also, is it very diffult to use powerstrip w/ transcoder? I hear I can mess up my TV big time.

THanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, all I can find is that this TV support 800 Lines Horizontal Resolution. Does it tells me anything about 480i, or 480p, or 1080i???? If this TV can do only 480i, then having an transcoder like the Audio Authority would not do me much good, would it?

Thanks for any inputs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since it has an "A" in the Part Number (and a google search) then I think it only does 480, otherwise to do 540 , 1080, ... it would have to be a HiDef tv ( H in part number).

That said, weather or not it does 480P, I don't know.

How about this: Borrow a progressive scan DVD player and check it that way.

Of course, you could email Toshiba customer service and ask them.

Even if it does only 480i, I'm thinking a transcoder would still give better picture than s-video and *****y composite.

-Dave

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for ur reply. I do have an standalone DVD player is currently connect to my RPTV thru Component YCrCb. But how can I tell if it is progressive scan or not, and does progressive scan means 480p or 1080i.

I am still unsure about the transcoder becuase first I dont know if it'll work at all, plus I hear it's pretty diffcult to use the powerstrip software.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check you DVD on screen menu (or user manaul, or email maker) for setting the output to either 480p or 480i. Or maybe it has a switch on the rear ?

Only high $$$ (>$1000, a guess) DVD players have 540 / 1080 output.

480p is Progressive Scan. 1080i is not. 'i' is for interlaced. I'll not re-start the whole debate about how 1080i is the same as (almost - well it is the same scan rate) 540p. :)

For 480p, you don't need PowerStrip, just set your display to 640x480 and that's it.

You would need PS for 480i. If your video board supports it.

Las but not least, my rule of thumb of wondering if something has some feature or not, and it's not mentioned in user guide / instructions/ etc. it prolly doesn't do that.

-dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.