AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about having this LCD PJ for HT set up.The unit puts out 1200 LUMENS on brightness,does that makes a big difference.I am currently using a ELECTROHOME FPTV in my main HT,Now I was thinking about replacing it for this.The unit is small and easy to use.I also have the DVDO iscan V2 doubler.will this doubler improve the picture from the LCD proj??Any suggestion will be appreciated.Thanks ROMEO

· Registered
634 Posts
Do you mean TLP470/471? There is a 471, but that includes a document camera. There is a 470 that is 1200 L, but it is SVGA. I've seen the 670 (XGA, about 1200 L) and thought it was pretty good if used with a DVDO IScan.

------------------

Steve

· Registered
531 Posts
Romeo,

I have the TLP670 which is pretty much identical as the 470 except the the 470 is SVGA vice XGA for the 670. While I don't have a lot to compare it to, I think it works great. It has a slight green tint on dark scenes but not too bad. It has a serial port for control and I'm currently trying to get my hands on a service manual to see how to get to the service menu. The internal doubler is not good, so you need an HTPC or external processor. I am using an iScan Pro which works great. Oh, it is a bit on the loud side. The fan blows out toward the front which makes it a bit more difficult to build a hush box for it. I also had a bit of a problem with vertical 'banding' when using the VGA input. I tried 2 different PCs, but it did it with both. Don't know if it is just a problem with my projector or not. I use the component input with no problem.

You can see my setup here http://www.speakeasy.org/~malopez

[This message has been edited by Mark Lopez (edited 05-03-2001).]

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a nice set up there Mark,

I also have the DVDO iscan V2 doubler,will this 2 match together perfect?On the back of the DVDO,do you have the setting on VGA or y-pr-pb,does it matter??any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks Romeo

· Registered
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rr25:
On the back of the DVDO,do you have the setting on VGA or y-pr-pb,does it matter??
The iScan Pro has a VGA/Component switch on the front. The output for either is via 15pin VGA connector. The Toshiba uses a 15 pin VGA connector for either VGA or component input (via menu choice). So all that is needed is a standerd VGA cable regardless of which input/ouput you use. I'm not sure how your iScan is set up.

As I mentioned, I use the component setting.

[This message has been edited by Mark Lopez (edited 05-03-2001).]

· Registered
634 Posts
I pretty much agree with Mark's assessment of the 670. I used the RGB output of the IScan, and that worked fine, too.

------------------

Steve

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering,When I hooked up the doubler.I see the Horizontal lines across the screen.a little bit visible.does it cost by the doubler or something??Thanks so much Romeo

· Registered
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rr25:
I was wondering,When I hooked up the doubler.I see the Horizontal lines across the screen.a little bit visible.does it cost by the doubler or something??Thanks so much Romeo
are you talking about on your current projector? LCD projectors won't have horizontal scan lines. The doubler (iScan) will help eliminate the 'jaggies' though.

I saw your other post about the V2 and 471. I don't think many if anyone here (besides me)is using a Toshiba projector. I've asked a few times, but few responces. Since the iScan V2 is pretty close to the Pro you should get pretty good results with the Toshiba. However the 470 is SVGA. I don't see any screen door with my 670 which is XGA, so that may be an issue for you.

Why are you considering the Toshiba? I got mine for free http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif so it was a no brainer, but there seem to be many other more popular units around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.