Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Trying to help a friends family a tv.

before price was no obect but once I mention some sets like the sonys 34 inch price became a issue.

right now I am looking at 2 sets one is projection one is tube.

The REar projection is very enticing beacsue of its size.

The only thing I am worried obout for them is burn in since they watch lots of hockey games and sports.

Any help and if anyoe has these sets would be great and I didn't know what thread to put it in sinche it a crossover.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am currently comparing the two same sets! They are both about the same price but basically it comes down to which has better picture quality and video features. I don't care about sound at all. If anyone could help me, and him, we would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Don't you mean H vs HX not HF?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its pretty much one is the 42 rear projector and one is the 34 inch tube.

ANy info would be great

thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
You're asking for a comparison between two very different sets.

Do they want a bigger set? Go for the 42H83.

Will this be primarily for HD, satellite, cable, or DVD viewing? For SD material, the smaller screen will probably provide a "better" picture.

rpCRT sets (such as the 42H83) usually seem to require a little more tweaking to get the best picture (e.g. doing manual convergence is a necessity).

That's about all I can say about these sets.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Convergence is very easy now since most have gone digitial as opposed to doing a tweak from the convergence board in the set itself right in front of the unit (as I have been doing for the last 18 years).

I wouldn't rule out CRT projection, by far they have the most bang for the buck.

If you can afford one LCD and DLP are promiseing but it might be still to early to say they are better than CRT's.

CRT's are dated just as the internal combustion engine is, but they both work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wasn't saying that rpCRT sets weren't a great value or that convergence was difficult to do. In fact, when I was deciding which set to get when I bought a new TV, I went rpCRT (a toshiba 51H83). There is no doubt that rpCRTs provide the most bang for the buck. I also enjoy tweaking my set, and I must say that the little bit of adjustment I have done so far has made the picture of my 51H83 outstanding for DVDs. (DirecTiVo is another matter).

There are some other questions that need to get answered here, tho. How important is the size of the picture? Apparently price is a factor, so I think that rules out pretty much everything except rpCRT and direct-view CRT.

Not everyone likes to tweak/maintain their TV. They just want it to work. Convergence isn't hard to do, but its something that rpCRTs require that direct-view CRTs don't.

IMO, the big question in this instance is size and viewing distance. If a 34" set is satisfactory, I'd probably recommend direct-view over rpCRT. I believe the picture quality would be better than rpCRT.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for your response.

yes price is a factor, also sizebut the 42 inch and 34 inch arn't that much of diffrence tat is why I was looking closly at these sets. most of the watching will be digital tv, and mainly dvds hopefully they will get HD soon but that will have to be some pushing from me to show them the diffrence.

I am leaning toward telling them to get the Direct view because of the burn in issue. I know they will want to watch 4:3 in the middle and not streched or zoom.

I have seen both in actionand they are looking great, now its just time for getting the best price to see which one will be worth it.

Also quick question. On toshibas website it says it does 540p, 1080i.

why not 720p or does it upconvert it.

also these people want to be ready for teh future (HD-dvd they want to make sure that they don't have to buy a tv in a long time)

So will it be able to handle 1080p or any conversions to 1080i

thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 51H83, and it upconverts 720p to 1080i. I would assume that the 42H83 does this as well, but you'll probably want to confirm that with an owner.

These sets won't handle 1080p, but not many will, and there are no sources that output 1080p, so this really won't be an issue for a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WARP- Are you sure that the 51H83 upconverts a 720P signal to 1080i? I have the same TV and I was under the impression that it didnt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
NYRFAN73,

I just scoured the manual to see what the set does with 720p signals. It doesn't say whether they are upconverted to 1080i or downconverted to 540p.

I have fed a 720p signal to the set (using a Samsun HD931 DVD player which I've since returned). The picture displays fine, but I guess I don't know if it was 1080i or 540p. (My guess is 1080i, but that's just a guess).

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Toshiba converts 720p to 1080i.

I had the 34HF82 (still have it actually, just doesn't work anymore after being dropped:))...upgraded to the Hitachi 43FWX20b. I say go for the 42", it will resolve more resolution (1200 horizontal lines vs 800-1000 on the 34).

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warp
Not everyone likes to tweak/maintain their TV. They just want it to work. Convergence isn't hard to do, but its something that rpCRTs require that direct-view CRTs don't.
Wrong. A direct CRT has convergence issues, but usually isn't as noticeable since the image is so much smaller!

I have seen many a CRT that is a mess regarding convergence. I don't mean right up close either. It's just that fooling around with those magnetic rings on the neck of the tube is a nightmare and dangerous if you don't watch your hands!

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videobruce
Wrong. A direct CRT has convergence issues, but usually isn't as noticeable since the image is so much smaller!

I have seen many a CRT that is a mess regarding convergence. I don't mean right up close either. It's just that fooling around with those magnetic rings on the neck of the tube is a nightmare and dangerous if you don't watch your hands!
Yes, and flat screens are notorious for being pretty far out of wack at the corners. If you have a good eye, you can spot it on every DV in the store. Something you just have to live with if you buy a DV and notice it. Some don't...no matter how hard I tried to point it out on his set, he still couldn't see what I was talking about.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
That's why I wouldn't buy a large 'tube' DV! Besides projection (close to the same size) isn't that much more.

If you took that DV image and blew it up to 45 or 50" you would really see that projection isn't as bad as most think!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.