AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have finally reached the moment of decision - either the 65" HDX Toshiba or the 65" SWX Hitachi. Most of the watching at this moment is Directv, cable (in case of severe rain here in central Florida) and DVDs. I believe OTA will be readily available (we are located about 35 miles from Orlando and 60 miles from Tampa - Florida is rather flat as you know).

I have followed this forum and the Spot forum for about 5 months now and have learned quite a bit. However, still on the fence. Each seems to have its good and bad points. By the way, the purchase will be made either from CC or Sears, not fond of BB service or support.

As for the Toshiba, it seems the major drawback is the picture is not quite as sharp as the Hitachi. Everyone seems to be pleased with the picture right out of the box. I know either set will get the best picture from an ISF calibration which will be done.

The Hitachi seems to have a sharper picture - some complaints about the picture right out of the box. Red push another issue. And the stretch modes seem to be one of the major sticking points (altho as I understand it, this can be overcome by using either the new Zenith or Sony STB which will have to be purchased no matter which set I buy).

And of course, there is the price difference. Considerable. But not the main issue. We presently have a 60" Hitachi analog set and are very happy with the picture at about 10' from it. But have seen both sets in stores and was impressed with the quality of the picture. AT Sears, they had both cable & Directv hooked up on the Hitachi and looked great, even close up in the store.

Anyway, can someone (OTHER THAN MFUSICK - only kidding!) or anyone who owns one of these sets give me some pros and/or cons for these two sets? All imput will be appreciated. At 78, this will undoubtedly be my last TV set so don't want to make a fatal mistake we will have to live with forever.

Thanks guys (and gals, should one answer).

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think there is a lot of excellent information to be gained by reading this and other forums. However, the best way to make the decision is to go out and look at both TV's for yourself and decide which is better. They both have their strong points.

The Toshiba is generally considered number one in stretch modes. The Hitachi may have a sharper picture (don't know, haven't seen them side by side) but the overall picture quality and appearance is a matter of personal preference.

Toshiba Cinema Series is not sold at either of the two retailers you mentioned. Sears sells Toshiba Theaterwide products, CC does not sell Toshiba at all. If you choose Toshiba, I strongly recommend you go with the HDX82 as opposed to the H82. The better lens and gun system, along the the finer pitch lenticular screen and DVI inputs make it a much better value.

Take a look at both and make your decision. They are both wonderful TV's. You can't go wrong with either one.

Mike K.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was recently deciding between the Toshiba 57HDX and the Hitachi 57TWX. I was one of the early adopters of widescreen 5 years ago when I bought the Toshiba TW65G80. Last month, I decided it was time to replace it. I have had good luck with my old Toshiba, but was a little concerned with quality control issues that have been reported. I saw both TVs in the stores and didn't like either based on the out-of-box setup. But given that I had my TW65G80 calibrated and saw the difference between out-of-box and NTSC standard, I knew the store display meant absolutely nothing. I went with the Hitachi mainly due to build quality and picture quality reported on the forums. As a Toshiba lover, I can tell you that I really love the picture on the Hitachi. I like the stretch modes better on the Toshiba.

Bill

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by knoxbh
By the way, the purchase will be made either from CC or Sears, not fond of BB service or support.

We presently have a 60" Hitachi analog set and are very happy with the picture at about 10' from it. AT Sears, they had both cable & Directv hooked up on the Hitachi and looked great, even close up in the store.

At 78, this will undoubtedly be my last TV set so don't want to make a fatal mistake we will have to live with forever.

Thanks guys (and gals, should one answer).

BB is irrelevant as they don't carry Hitachi.

If I were happy with a similar product from brand X then that would, at least in part, influence my decision to buy brand X again. When I was looking at Sears the sat feed they had was hi def (sponsored by Samsung, I think). Make sure that what you see there is standard def satellite if that is what you will be watching a lot of. I know "looked great" is very subjective, but I wouldn't call standard sat on any RPTV great.

I don't think any decision will be fatal, lol :D If it is to be your last set, even more reason to make sure you get something that will make you happy! I would make sure to think hard about what you will be viewing the most (dvd vs. HD vs. standard).

Best wishes!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
I have followed this forum and the Spot forum for about 5 months now and have learned quite a bit. However, still on the fence. Each seems to have its good and bad points. By the way, the purchase will be made either from CC or Sears, not fond of BB service or support.
Since you've been around here for awhile, you've undoubtedly have done the searches and seen the replies. There are several very vocal people here who want you to believe that the Hitachi's are superior. The same holds for others boards and Toshiba. Don't believe any of them. Judge for yourself.

Quote:
As for the Toshiba, it seems the major drawback is the picture is not quite as sharp as the Hitachi. Everyone seems to be pleased with the picture right out of the box. I know either set will get the best picture from an ISF calibration which will be done.
When deciding on my purchase, I thought the Toshiba looked better than Hitachi. Actually, I had Hitachi behind both Sony and Toshiba.

Quote:
And the stretch modes seem to be one of the major sticking points (altho as I understand it, this can be overcome by using either the new Zenith or Sony STB which will have to be purchased no matter which set I buy).
I don't think a Zenith or Sony STB will do you any good with DirectTV or Cable. I could be wrong though as I don't use one (Digital Cable here). Do those STB's allow you to input the DirectTV or Cable signal and output a stretched picture? If not, then it'll only help you (stretch) with the OTA signals.

Based on your viewing habits and as long as the picture quality is acceptable to you, I'd recommend the Toshiba. IMO, it has much better stretch modes and cable/sat picture. I also liked its DVD and HDTV picture better than the Hitachi's. This is very subjective though, so you should make this decision yourself.

A couple other points.

I didn't like the slow speed of the internal turner on the Hitachi.

You can't use the component or DVI inputs with the Toshiba's PIP/POP. I think I recall you could do that with the Hitachi.

The Toshiba is thinner depth wise. This was a big feature for me.

The rest of the features are pretty similar between the two.

Both sets up convert 480i/p to 540p.

Both sets up convert 780p to 1080i.

Both sets have a 160 degree viewing angle.

Both sets have 2 component and 1 DVI (HDX82, upgradeable in H82) input.

Both sets have CRT's and Lens optimized for widescreen HD.

Both sets have more marketing buzzwords than should be allowed. :)

Both sets will look better in your home than they do at the store.

Just like mikek posted. Neither Sears nor CC carries the HDX82 line. Sears has the H82 line. I'd recommend the HDX82 over the H82 if it's available in you area. The H82 is still a very good TV though.

John

·
Registered
748 Posts
I had my Hitachi SWX ISF'd recently. I told the guy that I almost bought a Toshiba instead. His response was that I made the right decision going with the Hitachi. What his reasoning for that was, I don't know. I didn't ask because it was a moot point for me since I already bought Hitachi.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.k. guys. Thanks for the input. It looks like the Hitachi SWX82 is only available in this area since we only have Sears & CC here. So, MFUSICK, what's the deal on the stretch modes on the Hitachi - can you use either the new Sony or Zenith STB to change the stretch modes? This feature is rather important to us since a major of our viewing (at least for now) will be Directv or cable.

Thanks a lot to all for your help - it is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J4yDubs

I don't think a Zenith or Sony STB will do you any good with DirectTV or Cable. I could be wrong though as I don't use one (Digital Cable here). Do those STB's allow you to input the DirectTV or Cable signal and output a stretched picture? If not, then it'll only help you (stretch) with the OTA signals.
I must disagree. The Zenith STB does wonders with DirecTV, Cable, and OTA analog signals. Best thing this side of DCDi or Pioneer Elite doublers. It integrates all into one guide very well and allows you to stretch them all. The Zenith 1080 does not allow you to stretch HD signals...I'm not sure about the new 520.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey neighbor! I live in Orlando and just today recieved delivery of my Hitachi 57TWX20B. The TWX may be another set you'll want to look at. Internally it is identical to the SWX, but it has a different cabinet (nicer IMO) and an improved anti-glare screen. The TWX only costs about $200 more than the SWX, but it is absolutely worth it if you have a room with poor light control.

The biggest problem with the TWX is availability. There are exactly TWO retailers in central Florida that carry them. A friend of mine at work who just bought a 65TWX20B verified this with Hitachi. One retailer is in West Palm, and the other is Atchley Appliance & TV in Orange City (which is about 20 minutes north of Orlando). My friend and I both got our TWX's at Atchley's. They are a "Mom and Pop" type retailer rather than a big chain like CC. If you are interested, the number is 386-775-2112. Shannon, their AV salesperson, is very knowledgable and helpful.

One issue I'd like to address is the whole "stretch mode" thing. I've been watching this TV all day long in several of the 5 different stretch modes. I don't much care for the cropped ones, but the two non-cropped modes look just fine. Anyone who actually thinks this is a huge issue probably owns a Toshiba and is reaching for some way to justify their purchase.

What I notice about standard NTSC is that it looks pretty mediocre next DVD and HD. Stretching it any direction you want isn't going to improve that fact one iota. So the supposed "quality" of the stretch modes is a red herring IMO. NTSC looks lousy when blown up to 57 inches no matter how you stretch it. Your choices are to either ignore it and enjoy the show, or get a smaller TV.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm a firm believer that after a good ISF professionnal calibration, all those sets are really near from each other in regard to performance. Just go read this thread where 2 well know professionnals (with both around 300 professionnal calibrations down the neck each) are telling people about difference between "good" sets. Save the money, buy the cheapest set of the 2, and get a good ISF calibrator do the job.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=109004

2 quotes to really show what I mean:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A $1599 panny and about $400 to MichealTLV or Gregg and it would look better than a $2500-$3500 stock: Sony/Tosh/Mits/JVC/Hits/RCA...ect...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

It is no surprise that even a "lowly" Panasonic 47" 16:9 RPTV when fully tweaked out, will continually outperform any RPTV on the market OOTB no matter the cost ... be it $4k ... $5K.

So. We both know which is the cheapest set of the 2...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
I must disagree. The Zenith STB does wonders with DirecTV, Cable, and OTA analog signals. Best thing this side of DCDi or Pioneer Elite doublers. It integrates all into one guide very well and allows you to stretch them all. The Zenith 1080 does not allow you to stretch HD signals...I'm not sure about the new 520.
I stand corrected. If it does what your saying, then that is a very nice solution to the Hitachi/Mitubishi's stretch modes. It would be a little pricey for me since I get my HDTV via cable, but for those who are going to get OTA HDTV anyways, it sounds like a perfect solution. Not stretching HD isn't really a big deal. I rarely (if ever) do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by thatdreamer
One issue I'd like to address is the whole "stretch mode" thing. I've been watching this TV all day long in several of the 5 different stretch modes. I don't much care for the cropped ones, but the two non-cropped modes look just fine. Anyone who actually thinks this is a huge issue probably owns a Toshiba and is reaching for some way to justify their purchase.
It was a big issue for me. It's one of the reasons why the Hit and Mit were at the bottom of my list (both fine TV's). I'm glad the Hitachi stretch modes are fine for you. They weren't for me. Just watch a ticker at the bottom of the screen. Or watch a basketball game. Denying that the Pioneer/Toshiba stretch modes are not better is just silly. For some people, the stretch modes are ok or not important, but for others it is important.

Your last sentence couldn't be less true about me. I don't need to justify my purchase - I'm very happy with it. If you read my posts, you'll see that I'll recommend other brands if the person doesn't like the Toshiba (yes, hard to believe, but some people don't like them). I really have no vested interest in what TV another person buys (it does nothing for or against me). I just try to answer the questions posted and make sure that I tell them to judge for themselves. Sorry you believe differently.

John

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
O.k. guys. Thanks for the input. It looks like the Hitachi SWX82 is only available in this area since we only have Sears & CC here.
Have you looked at the new Sony's yet (600 or 700 series)? Good picture with pretty good stretch modes. If not, take a look. In any case, you'll be very happy with the Hitachi. It's a great TV.

Quote:
So, MFUSICK, what's the deal on the stretch modes on the Hitachi - can you use either the new Sony or Zenith STB to change the stretch modes? This feature is rather important to us since a major of our viewing (at least for now) will be Directv or cable.
It sounds like you can. Read Marc's post.

John

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I spent countless hours viewing HDTV's. Originally wanted Toshiba since my 48" analog has been flawless for 7 years. Finally decided on SWX Hitachi. My entire family and I were totally disappointed with it. Too much distortion in screen fill modes, too much red push, greens looked terrible (I believe it is referred to as electric green). Football fields and basket ball courts looked wavey when cameras panned across them. Clarity and brilliance of color was good without grain.

I returned one week later and got the Pioneer Elite 530HD. My wife comments almost daily on how great the picture is and she was totally against the purchase before delivery.

I viewed the Elite side by side with Mits and Sony. Overall PQ is probably no better that either of these but IMHO the screen fill modes are superior on the Pioneer. Also it outpus native 480P and 1080I without upconversion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Have finally reached the moment of decision - either the 65" HDX Toshiba or the 65" SWX Hitachi.
I'm curious...you aren't considering the Mitsubishi.

Can you tell me why? Was there anything specifically that ruled it out?

For me, it was the narrow viewing "sweet spot" that ruled out Toshiba.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
originally poster by thatdreamer
Quote:
One issue I'd like to address is the whole "stretch mode" thing... Anyone who actually thinks this is a huge issue probably owns a Toshiba and is reaching for some way to justify their purchase.
That seems like a bit of a cheap shot to me. Worse yet it is directed at people here on the board not just a particular brand. Hitachi makes some really great TVs. So do Mits and Pioneer. I don't feel dissapointed with my Toshiba though and I don't feel the need to bad mouth any other brands or owners.

You probably didn't mean anything by the comment though so no offense.

To my eye the Hitachi sets I looked at were noticably sharper than the Toshibas. However, they appeared very red with colours quite out of whack. (granted this is out of the box Hitachi vs Toshiba and many of the problems may be correctable) And unfortunately for me the stretch modes were indeed a factor. My wife hated looking at 4:3 material on any of the sets we looked at other than the Toshibas. For someone else this may not even be an issue though.

BTW up here in Canada very little is available in HD.

anecdoteal evidence - strecth modes do matter to some people

During the Superbowl we went to a friends house with a bunch of people to watch the game on a 47" Samsung (no HD - why couldn't we have stayed home?) and several people commented on how weird everything looked and specifically made the comment that they didn't remember TV looking weird on my WideScreen (Toshiba) set.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
All HDTV's have excellent picture quality to me as long as they are receiving HD programming.

My purchase of the Pioneer was primarily based on (1) no distortion in stretch mode(2) no upconversion (3) excellent PQ far petter than mediocre with SD broadcasts.

This was all of the justification that I needed. I have no problem with those who needed less justification with their purchase and hope that they enjoy for many years.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thatdreamer

What I notice about standard NTSC is that it looks pretty mediocre next DVD and HD. Stretching it any direction you want isn't going to improve that fact one iota. So the supposed "quality" of the stretch modes is a red herring IMO. NTSC looks lousy when blown up to 57 inches no matter how you stretch it. Your choices are to either ignore it and enjoy the show, or get a smaller TV.
The stretch issue is not a quality of picture thing. Stretching the picture has little negative impact on PQ. And it's clearly not someting to somehow improve the PQ so that it looks like HDTV. It just allows the picture to fill the screen, and on sets that do it poorly it's a distortion problem; faces looking funny, people looking fat, etc.. The distortion from stretching should not be obvious or annoying.

BTW, I suspect if you look at your manual, only one, maybe two, of the stretch modes on your set is for 4:3 to 16:9.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Well I too have been agonizing over this one. I was down to the Toshiba 57HDX82 or the Hitachi 57SWX20b. Over the past week I have been to no fewer than a half dozen stores up and down New Jersey comparing these two sets. Of course in NO place are these two sets being sold together. But I will tell you this: In each and every store I went to the Toshiba just looked better to me. Colors were more vibrant and the picture looked sharper and cleaner. In fact, in a couple of stores the Hitachi came in 3rd or 4th in picture quality to Sony, Mitsu and even an RCA Scenium model.

After the second store I thought I'd give Hitachi the benefit of the doubt that maybe the setup was screwed up, so I actually went back and adjusted every Toshiba and Hitachi to the default "movie" preset mode. The Toshiba still won for me. Plus my wife said hands down the Toshiba had better styling. So as soon as Uncle Sam comes through with my tax refund I will own a Toshiba 57HDX82. YMMV

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by talbain
Well I too have been agonizing over this one. I was down to the Toshiba 57HDX82 or the Hitachi 57SWX20b. Over the past week I have been to no fewer than a half dozen stores up and down New Jersey comparing these two sets. Of course in NO place are these two sets being sold together. But I will tell you this: In each and every store I went to the Toshiba just looked better to me.
Sounds like you did your homework. You can rely on reviews and other peoples' opinions only so much. What you really need to do is just what you did--go look for yourself.

But one thing: It's not really necessary to "justify" your decision to buy a Toshiba prior to actually buying it! ;-)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.