AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 42" plasma tv but I don't want to spend more than $2500. I have done a ton of research and am considering either a Toshiba or a Panasonic. I will be sitting fairly close to the screen (about 5 or 6 feet) and will be watching mostly HD broadcasts through Time Warner cable, but will also be watching SD broadcasts, an occassional DVD, and playing video games (Playstation 2 and PS3 when it comes out).

At the 5 foot viewing distance, is it better to buy an HDTV instead of an EDTV? I am worried about the screen door effect that I have heard about. In general, which TV would produce a better picture (sharper image and bright colors)....a Toshiba 42HP84 or a Panasonic 42PHD7UY (or even the new 42PHD8UK)? If there is another HDTV Panasonic for $2500 or less, let me know since I can't seem to find one.

Also, I am worried about burn-in, especially from video games. I know that some tv's can shift the pixels slightly but if there is a constant image on the screen, such as a map in a driving game, or a status bar that doesn't ever change, how long could you play one particular game at a sitting before burn-in starts to occur?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
497 Posts
At 5 or 6 feet, I'd wager most people would not be satisfied with ED. I have a Panasonic ED plasma which I view from 10 feet away, but I would not want to be any closer than 9 feet. Different people have different sensitivity to SDE though.

I don't play games on the TV so I have no direct experience with that. I'd avoid games completely during the 1st 200 hours. After that I'd cautiously experiment and see what happens...30 mins, one hour, etc.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney538
I am looking for a 42" plasma tv but I don't want to spend more than $2500. I have done a ton of research and am considering either a Toshiba or a Panasonic. I will be sitting fairly close to the screen (about 5 or 6 feet) and will be watching mostly HD broadcasts through Time Warner cable, but will also be watching SD broadcasts, an occassional DVD, and playing video games (Playstation 2 and PS3 when it comes out).

At the 5 foot viewing distance, is it better to buy an HDTV instead of an EDTV? I am worried about the screen door effect that I have heard about. In general, which TV would produce a better picture (sharper image and bright colors)....a Toshiba 42HP84 or a Panasonic 42PHD7UY (or even the new 42PHD8UK)? If there is another HDTV Panasonic for $2500 or less, let me know since I can't seem to find one.
I am almost certain you'll see SDE big time at 6 feet on any ED plasma. When i was shopping for a 42" ED plasma i saw the dreaded SDE at 10 feet which forced me to get an HD model instead. If i get to within 5-6 feet of my 42" HD plasma i can see the pixel structure (or whatever it's called) and the picture looks somewhat "blocky" and no longer smooth. And your eyes will probably get sore sitting that close as the 42" screen is pretty wide for that close of a distance (the tennis match effect). I recommend you take a tape measure to the stores and check the picture quality at close range and you'll see what i mean.

At your viewing distance and budget, i would hold out for the alleged Panasonic price drops in early September and get a TH-37PX50U instead and even still, 5-6 feet might still be too close.

About the burn-in issues with games, well there are lots of threads that cover that already. Maybe a 32" LCD TV would be a better choice for you what with the close proximity and gaming and stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.