AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for a RPHDTV for a week now and I still don't know which one to choose. I live in an apartment so I would like something under 50". The three models I have chosen so far in my comparison to buy list are:

-- Toshiba 42H81

-- Panasonic PT-47WX51

-- Mitsushibi WT-46809

I don't know much about RPTV's so I went info shopping at my nearest retail stores. Most of the stores I went to, the Panasonic was not set up with proper color saturation or brightness so it looked dissappointing. The Toshiba was right next to the Panasonic and it looked way better. I went to one of the salesman to ask about why the difference in the quality issue and he told me that the main reason is because the built in video amplifier for the tv sucks in the Panasonic models. He told me the Toshiba model mentioned above had a better video amplifier. But the best manufacturers for RPTV with strong video amplifiers are in the Sony's and Mit's I couldn't choose a Sony because they just don't make anything decent under 50". I looked at the Mit and that was the model that had a really good looking picture.

After I got home, looked on the web and compared between the Toshiba and Mit model's above. I've read a lot of reviews and many people loved the Toshiba model over the Mit model because of it's size, quality and clarity for the price. But no one every praised the Mit over the Toshiba.

Now, I need your opinions on the 3 models mentioned above. I want a TV bad right now as I have already ordered all of my other components. I have ordered a Onkyo SR600 reciever, Sony 700P DVD player, and Polk audio RM7200 Speaker system. I plan on getting a cd changer in the future too.

But for right now, I need help with the TV.

Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, if you have any other suggestions for a RPHDTV 16:9 with a screen under 50", please post it. I have no problems listening to alternatives

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I would put the Mits and the Panasonic ahead of the Toshiba mainly because the Toshiba has too many quality/image degrading issues this year.

The Ghosting, Channel 5 interference, and the 540P image degradation. It is pretty much the only set of the three here that cannot display all of the 540 TV lines from a progressive scan DVD player. It tops out at 480-500 lines.

The new Toshiba models coming in the upcoming months will apparently not have this problem anymore ...

It is acknowledged that the Panasonics tend to look dreadful on the showroom floors, but they also have great potential to end up looking like one of the best sets on the market of anything under $4000.

Regards

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I agree with Michael. I would put it Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Toshiba. I've been a big Toshiba fan in the past (owned a TW65H80) but as he said the current models have too many problems. I'm also concerned about the new integrated tuner models of the Mitsubishis, but the 46809's look excellent when calibrated. I must add that I own a Mitsubishi so am perhaps somewhat biased. I've been very pleased with the results of the Panasonics I've calibrated and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

One other thing about the Mitsubishi is that it is very easy to remove the mirror-like protective screen. That is a bit of work on the Toshiba (and I'm not sure off hand about the Panasonic).

I don't know where all this talk of "video amplifiers" came from. Sounds like the salesman has a buzzword he has decided to use to make himself sound knowledgeable (which he apparently isn't!).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I guess it is just between the mitsubishi and panasonic now. I think i'm going to go for the mitsubishi though because it just looked great on the showroom floor. Thanks a lot guys

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I've owned a Panasonic (PT56WXF95a) and currently own a Mits (65807). The Panny light output was fairly weak compared to the Mits, even at 100% contrast/picture vs 50% on the Mits (I had to control ambient light with the Panny but don't have to with the Mits). I have noticed that the new Pannys are still dark compared to other sets in the showroom.

With the help of people like MichaelTLV and Cheezmo (actually, specifically these guys and CraigM), I have tweaked my Mits Platinum to a convincingly better picture than the untweaked Mits Diamonds and Pioneer Elites in my specialty dealer's demo rooms. I say checkout www.***************.com, get a Mits, and don't look back!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone. I chose the mitsubishi and bought it from crazy eddie. The shipped price was $2055. I'm quite happy with the price since fry's in los angeles was selling it for $2200 + tax + shipping. i'll be back to post more on my setup and questions about the rptv

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Beware of Crazy Eddie ... not the most reputable dealer out there.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.