AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone seems to talk Hitachi, Hitachi, Hitachi .. but .. from my own viewing tests the Toshibas seem

1) To have deeper blacks

2) Better stretching

3) No red push (yes you can correct it in the Hitachi .. but not necessary in Tosh ?)

BTW I am talking about the cinema series not the theaterwide (HDX82 not H82 series). What are the downfalls of the Toshiba ? Its only about $200 more screen size to screen size then the Hitachi and seems to be a much better set .. what am i missing ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with the above with the following exception - where in Hell can you purchase a 65HDX82 Toshiba? I just posted this same thing over on the Spot forum. Sears sells Toshiba but can't even special order the 65HDX82;CC doesn't sell Toshibas; neither does BB but wouldn't buy from them if they did with their lousy service record. There are service authorized locations here but don't sell the product. Won't buy online with possible return problems. Hate like Hell to have to buy an Hitachi (terrible stretch modes for analog sources) when I really want the Toshiba.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Toshiba's are fine sets.

There is nothing "wrong" with them.

They do have differences, but all RPTV's do, and it makes this forum interesting.

Some prefer Mercedes, others prefer Lexus or BMW.....they are all great cars in the end...none of them are "wrong"

Some do perfer Hitachi.... This years sets are quite excellent compared to the past so they are a little more vocal now..... it will pass.

Before it was Mitsubishi....seemed like that's all anyone ever talked about when I joined these forums.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by knoxbh
I agree with the above with the following exception - where in Hell can you purchase a 65HDX82 Toshiba? I just posted this same thing over on the Spot forum. Sears sells Toshiba but can't even special order the 65HDX82;CC doesn't sell Toshibas; neither does BB but wouldn't buy from them if they did with their lousy service record. There are service authorized locations here but don't sell the product. Won't buy online with possible return problems. Hate like Hell to have to buy an Hitachi (terrible stretch modes for analog sources) when I really want the Toshiba.

Any suggestions?
Best Buy is a very good company, especially when compared to Sears or Circuit City. I'm sure what ever bias you have is based on one bad experience with one store. Oh, by the way, Best Buy DOES sell Toshiba.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by knoxbh

Any suggestions?

Tweeter

·
Registered
807 Posts
Damonb10, Best Buy does sell Toshiba. Best buy does not sell Cinema Series. Big difference.

Knoxbh, I am not familiar with the Florida market, I know Tweeter carries Cinema Series, but not sure if they are in your area. Try calling Toshiba Customer Service at 1 (800) 631-3811. They should be able to help you out. If they cannot refer you to a direct dealer, find out who the Cinema Series authorized distributor is for your area and contact them for the name of a local dealer.

Mike K.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dezigner98
Damonb10

you can get the tv from crazy eddie
Onecall would be a safer choice to buy the Toshiba HDX82 series. You'll have to call them to do it. Might want to check the forum called Group Buy Spot over at www.***************.com

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Damonb10
Best Buy is a very good company, especially when compared to Sears or Circuit City. I'm sure what ever bias you have is based on one bad experience with one store. Oh, by the way, Best Buy DOES sell Toshiba.
I am curious how Best Buy is better "espeacially when compared to Sears or Circuit City."

·
Registered
807 Posts
You may want to check the PCMall website. I understand they have a good selection of Toshiba Cinema Series. Well known and highly reputable company.

Mike.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My problem was I couldn't find the 42HDX82 anywhere so I had to go with the 42H82 (although I got a very good price on it). In fact Toshiba doesn't even list the 42 inch model anywhere I could fnd.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Damonb10
Personally, I'm biased due to the fact that I have actually worked for both Circuit City and Best Buy during my college years. On the sales floor, I would trust the average CC employee to have at least a fundamental understanding of his product, and the occasional senior employee to actually know what he's talking about. I would trust the average Best Buy associate to carry my purchase to my car -- and that's about it.

As far as finding a Toshi HDX in central Florida, good luck! I couldn't find one in the Orlando area. However, Hitachi is nearly as bad. I found ONE dealer withing 50 miles of Orlando that carried the Hitachi TWX I eventually purchased.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can Toshiba cinema series at great indoors if you have one locally.It is like Expo and it is own by Sears.I bought mine from one call and had no promblems with it.I still think the Toshiba are the best TV's around for picture quality and durability.Since I got mine at least three more people in the family end up buying the same TV because they could not believe the picture of this set.Even thought you can save some money from other places make sure you buy from an authorized dealer just in case.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
I am curious how Best Buy is better "espeacially when compared to Sears or Circuit City."
Obviously, you did not read my statement or understand it. I DID NOT say anything about being "better". Even as you read how you quoted me, you're really putting words into my mouth. You only quoted the end of the sentence and put your own words at the beginning. For reference, I said the following: "Best Buy is a very good company, especially when compared to Sears or Circuit City."

To further explain, when compared to Sears or Ciruit City, Best Buy is a very good company. My response was directed towards the initial posters' implication that Best Buy was somehow second tier to Sears or Circuit City. They are all direct competitors. They all carry the same market range of products, that is, medium to low range products. They all match each other's prices. There are differences between them as far as commissioned vs. non-commissioned sales and the pricing of their extended warranties, product brands carried, etc.... However, everyone needs to realize that you can have a bad experience or a good experience at any of them. The reason being that they are franchises with numerous stores. It is impossible for these stores to manage complete quality control on customer experience and knowledge of sales staff. It usually comes down to a per store basis and not a per name (name of store) basis. Some store managers are better than others. Not all of the good ones work at Best Buy, as well as not all of the good ones work at Sears or Circuit City.

Quote:
Originally posted by thatdreamer
Personally, I'm biased due to the fact that I have actually worked for both Circuit City and Best Buy during my college years. On the sales floor, I would trust the average CC employee to have at least a fundamental understanding of his product, and the occasional senior employee to actually know what he's talking about. I would trust the average Best Buy associate to carry my purchase to my car -- and that's about it.
Again, this comparison or opinion in no way can be taken as a blanket statement for quality of a stores personell. I have had both good and bad experiences at both Circuit City AND Best Buy. I've spoken with sales staff at CC who only were interested in directing me towards products that resulted in the highest commission or "kick-back" for the month for themselves. On the other hand, I've been to Best Buy and had salespeople try and dazzle me with BS when I stumped them on a question. However, the same experience could happen at either store. It really comes down to whether your lucky enough to be able to find a salesperson who is very knowledgeable about the product and values honesty.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just keep looking at all the sets looking for the Toshiba fatal flaw .. every product has one right ? The only negative thing I can find about the Tosh cinema series is something with the colors not "red push" per se but reds being over emphasised on red content forcing you to use a lower "color" setting and getting a little less color detail.

First is this accurate ? Or just a problem with the set used in this particular review ?

Second ... what other problems does the Tosh have ? I really want to know why Tosh isn't pushed as hard as Hitachi around here everything i see is in Tosh's favor .. I just want to make the best decision I can .. right now that looks to be a 50HDX .. i see it for $1799 + $199 shipping online, i'm sure i can sweet talk someone into matching that price localy for me. One call wants $2399 .. way to rich for my blood.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riekl
I just keep looking at all the sets looking for the Toshiba fatal flaw .. every product has one right ? The only negative thing I can find about the Tosh cinema series is something with the colors not "red push" per se but reds being over emphasised on red content forcing you to use a lower "color" setting and getting a little less color detail.

First is this accurate ? Or just a problem with the set used in this particular review ?

Second ... what other problems does the Tosh have ? I really want to know why Tosh isn't pushed as hard as Hitachi around here everything i see is in Tosh's favor .. I just want to make the best decision I can .. right now that looks to be a 50HDX .. i see it for $1799 + $199 shipping online, i'm sure i can sweet talk someone into matching that price localy for me. One call wants $2399 .. way to rich for my blood.
i believe the biggest flaw reported about the toshiba sets involves their sets upconversion. 480 feeds are upconverted to 540 (cost saving measure) and as a result are not as sharp. i think michaeltlv approximated it as about a 5% loss of resolution. other than that most of the reviews on the toshibas are excellent.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riekl

That probably IS red push that you saw. Most TVs have some amount of red push to compensate for the bluish grayscale that manufacturers use to make the TVs look more "appealing" on brightly lit showroom floors.

Don't remember if the modest red push on the Toshiba's is fixable w/out desaturating the colors, ie. what you do by reducing the "color" setting. On many TVs, the red push can be almost completely eliminated--or so I've heard.

_Man_

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.