AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting very close to buying a 3D LCD. I am looking for something that has great picture quality for the money, like everyone, right?

Currently I own a Sony 40XBR2, which had some reported issues back in the day but has proven to be an excellent TV. I recently bought a 32inch 2010 LG model and the Sony still blows the pants off the LG even with the LG's new bagillion contrast blah blah stats.

So I guess my question is, what are the key differences and why would I want to spend nearly 3k on the NX810 when I can get the HX800 for 700 less. And why would I want the HX800, when I can get the Toshiba WX800 for a whopping 1600?!

I have had zero experience with Toshiba and from what I hear, their customer service is terrible and their products are "decent".

Anyone have any real thoughts about these? Is the NX810 really that much better than the Toshiba WX800?

·
Registered
230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquayonex /forum/post/19624166

I am getting very close to buying a 3D LCD. I am looking for something that has great picture quality for the money, like everyone, right?

Currently I own a Sony 40XBR2, which had some reported issues back in the day but has proven to be an excellent TV. I recently bought a 32inch 2010 LG model and the Sony still blows the pants off the LG even with the LG's new bagillion contrast blah blah stats.

So I guess my question is, what are the key differences and why would I want to spend nearly 3k on the NX810 when I can get the HX800 for 700 less. And why would I want the HX800, when I can get the Toshiba WX800 for a whopping 1600?!

I have had zero experience with Toshiba and from what I hear, their customer service is terrible and their products are "decent".

Anyone have any real thoughts about these? Is the NX810 really that much better than the Toshiba WX800?

I have a 46XBR2 which my new 55NX810 replaced. Comparing the two sets reveals:

1-the NX810 is not as bright as the XBR2-although the bright level is good enough-just noticeable when you compare side to side.

2-the NX810 audio quality is terrible compared to the XBR2. So bad that I bought the optional stand which has better and 40w speakers. The XBR2 has speakers on either side of the screen where as the NX has small speakers on the back side of the screen

3-the picture quality of the NX810 is better than the XBR2 when using BluRay as an input. It appears a better quality input is more noticeable on the NX.

4-and of course, the NX is 3D and internet streaming capability, plus ehternet/wireless LAN hookups

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I don't keep my TV on the ultra bright setting anyway so I may not notice.

I don't care about audio since I'm using a surround sound. You should really look into a sound system. I am always amazed at the number of people who spend thousands and thousands on TV's but use the speakers for sound. Speakers are also basically becoming obsolete in high end TVs. You can get a blu-ray/surround sound system with speakers included for a couple hundred bucks. Adding surround sound felt like watching HD for the first time all over again. Truly...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clouding. They had somewhat uneven backlight too. XBR was really bad, XBR2 was better and I think it was gone with XBR3. They sent out flash drives with firmware upgrades a couple years ago. Mine wasn't so bad but I saw some that were terrible. Check out this site and you'll see some pics. CNET even downgraded their rating as a result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts