Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone:

I am interested in purchasing a Toshiba XS34 DVD recorder to replace my VCR. I have analog cable and I simply run the coxial cable from the wall directly into the VCR, which then connects to the TV.

I do not use a cable box since I don't order pay-per-view programs. I like this setup because it allows me to program the VCR to record TV programs and the VCR automatically records the right channel without having to leave the TV on the channel I am recording.

My question is whether I can do the same with the Toshiba XS34? I would like to swap out my VCR and substitute the connection with the XS34. So, can I simply run the analog cable line into the XS34, which would connect to the TV and start recording analog cable TV programs using hte XS34? Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, you can definitely do that. I do the same thing with my XS32, and my 2 Tivos.

Whenever the cable-card Tivos come out, I would _consider_ getting digital cable, since dealing with a cable box is so much of a pain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe you can...and maybe not! It depends on whether your cable company allows the TV Guide On Screen service to load into your recorder. Because you don't have a cable box, I can't recommend my solution (if the TV guide is not supported), which is: you program your cable box to change to the channel you want to record (in my cable box this is called a "VCR Timer Recording"). You then input the start and stop times in your DVD recorder. My Toshiba receives the video and audio from the cable box into Line 1. This setup allows me to record any channel any time without worrying about leaving the correct channel on initially.

All this without the TV Guide On Screen functioning. You may want to call your cable company and see if they support TV Guide OR if their cable box has the feature I mention above. Otherwise, look into a different recorder!

Mike

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Your suggestion makes no sense.

It is FAR FAR easier to record WITHOUT a cable box than with one. He doesn't want to GET a cable box, that simply makes the whole situation MUCH WORSE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.