AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a 46XV645U or 40XV645U, (or possibly the 650 series, but probably not), and have a few questions about how they work that I'm hoping some people here can help me with!

My first and main question is whether any of you know if the various TV inputs (Video1, 2 etc) can be switched to discreetly. What I mean is that if I use something like a Harmony Remote can I jump straight from Video 1 to Video 4 or whatever, or do I have to cycle through them? I have a Samsung SDTV, that unfortunately requires you to cycle through inputs, which can cause problems with my Harmony Remote when the TV occasionally get's out of sync with where it's "supposed to be." Being able to jump straight to an input would be a lot more elegant of a solution, and would eliminate this problem.

My other question relates to the Audio out on the TV. If I hook something up to the TV via one of the HDMI ports, and hook the TV up to a receiver via the optical out, will I still be able to get full surround sound? I have an older receiver (Marantz SR7200), that I'm not quite ready to replace just yet, and it doesn't support HDMI, but may be getting some HDMI capable equipment and it might be easier to hook those up to the TV and have the sound go over to the receiver.

I'm sure I'll have a few other questions as I think about it and as I look more into it, but these are the two main ones I have right now that I haven't been able to find answers to just yet! Thanks!

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct /forum/post/16940985

My first and main question is whether any of you know if the various TV inputs (Video1, 2 etc) can be switched to discreetly.

Yes, you can go directly from imput to imput. No scrolling necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct /forum/post/16940985

My other question relates to the Audio out on the TV. If I hook something up to the TV via one of the HDMI ports, and hook the TV up to a receiver via the optical out, will I still be able to get full surround sound? I have an older receiver (Marantz SR7200), that I'm not quite ready to replace just yet, and it doesn't support HDMI, but may be getting some HDMI capable equipment and it might be easier to hook those up to the TV and have the sound go over to the receiver.

I run optical to my Marantz (SR5300) and it works for 5.1 as well as 2.1.

David

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedorian /forum/post/16941275

Yes, you can go directly from imput to imput. No scrolling necessary.

I run optical to my Marantz (SR5300) and it works for 5.1 as well as 2.1.

David

Perfect! This moves this TV up into the "very likely" range!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are the differences between these models (the xxXV645U) and the older xxXV640U models? I ask mostly because I found a new XV640U avaialbe for quite a bit less than the more current 645U models, but haven't found much to explain what the differences are between them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct /forum/post/16953390

What are the differences between these models (the xxXV645U) and the older xxXV640U models? I ask mostly because I found a new XV640U avaialbe for quite a bit less than the more current 645U models, but haven't found much to explain what the differences are between them. Any ideas?

The XV640 came out more than a year ago, the XV645 - 2 months ago. Here is a link with specs for both models.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...model=46XV640U

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEZO /forum/post/16955593

The XV640 came out more than a year ago, the XV645 - 2 months ago. Here is a link with specs for both models.

Thanks for the link, but... It doesn't really tell me much, since the "detailed specs" are a bit different for both of them (ie certain aspects like the contrast ratio and such are listed for one but not the other).

Anyone know of any features in the newer XV645 that aren't in the older XV640's? Is it just the design of the frame?

·
Registered
5 Posts
forums. cnet. com/5208-19410_102-0.html?threadID=343220&tag=mncol;txt

cnet has settings for the 650, not the same model, but I think the panels are similar. I have the 645 and I used these settings and they look great. The Cnet settings were a little dark for my taste so I raised the backlight, and then lowered the brightness and now it looks fantastic. Colors are very accurate. I havent messed around with the colormaster settings yet, but I am very pleased so far.

Bestbuy matched compusa's price (which is 200 dollars cheaper) awesome tv for the money

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPro /forum/post/16957929

cnet has settings for the 650, not the same model, but I think the panels are similar. I have the 645 and I used these settings and they look great. The Cnet settings were a little dark for my taste so I raised the backlight, and then lowered the brightness and now it looks fantastic. Colors are very accurate. I havent messed around with the colormaster settings yet, but I am very pleased so far.

Bestbuy matched compusa's price (which is 200 dollars cheaper) awesome tv for the money

Thanks for the information about BestBuy matching CompUSA's price! Do you live in a city with a CompUSA in the area? or did you just have to mention the cheaper price?

From what I've heard, the 645s have a better panel than the 650s... I'm very tempted to purchase this tomorrow.!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes there is one nearby, I brought an ad from the paper in with me. You can print the local ad from compusa's website though, so even if there isn't one around you can still bring the ad.

I don't think I can get a better tv for the price I paid. Blacks are very dark, colors are great. Too many options to tweak. Even the speakers are pretty decent. Gaming seems fine. No complaints here.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEZO /forum/post/16955593

I was incorrect when I stated that the XV640 came out more than a year ago, it was the XV540 that was last year's model. The XV640 is apparently a Sam's Club version of this year's line. I have had the 46XV645 for 5 weeks now, and both my wife and I are very happy with it. We have it in a sunlit room with glass doors and windows, and the non-reflective screen provides excellent viewing from all angles.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEZO /forum/post/16958381

I was incorrect when I stated that the XV640 came out more than a year ago, it was the XV540 that was last year's model. The XV640 is apparently a Sam's Club version of this year's line. I have had the 46XV645 for 5 weeks now, and both my wife and I are very happy with it. We have it in a sunlit room with glass doors and windows, and the non-reflective screen provides excellent viewing from all angles.

I was just about to correct you on that. My 640 was built in Apr 09 and the difference is, it doesn't have the resolution+, Regza branding, or the bottom Deep Lagoon design like the 645.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPro /forum/post/16957929

I have not been able to find CNET settings for the ZV650. Can you post a link? If you cannot post a link yet, can you PM it to me?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieraider /forum/post/16958398

I was just about to correct you on that. My 640 was built in Apr 09 and the difference is, it doesn't have the resolution+, Regza branding, or the bottom Deep Lagoon design like the 645.

How do you like your's okie? I have one on order that should be here next Wednesday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
heh, the link to the cnet settings is in the post you quoted, it just isn't a clickable link because I didnt have enough posts to post a link. Copy, paste, and remove the spaces...

But if you are too lazy for all that ;-) here ya go:

"Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Toshiba 47ZV650U in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may very depending on source, room conditions and personal preference.

Picture menu

Picture Mode: Movie

Backlight: 30

Contrast: 99

Brightness: 12

Color: 1

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 0

Advanced Picture Settings menu:

ColorMaster: Off

Dynalight: Off

Dynamic Contrast: 0

Static Gamma: -8

ClearScan 240: On

Film Stabilization: Standard

Color Temperature submenu:

Color Temperature: 2

Red-Offset: -4

Green-Offset: 3

Blue-Offset: 0

Red-Gain: 4

Green-Gain: 6

Blue-Gain: -2

Auto Brightness Sensor Settings submenu:

Auto Brightness Sensor: Off

Backlight Adjustment Pro: [grayed out]

Noise Reduction submenu:

MPEG NR: Off

DNR: Off

Resolution+ submenu:

Resolution+: Off

Level: 3 [grayed out]

Expert Mode submenu:

[all colors on]

Color: 1

Tint: 0"

From there I raised the backlight to 60, lowered the brightness to -5, raised color to 10, raised gamma to 0, and raised sharpness to 5. Loving the picture so far, havent been brave enough to screw with the colormaster settings yet.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 40XV645 it this weekend at Best Buy where they were having a tax free weekend here in Virginia (only saved me like $50 but hey that's $50!), and even got a free 19" LCD to put in the bedroom out of the deal.

So far I have to say I love it! I haven't even started trying adjust the picture settings at all, and I'm already very very impressed with this thing, you all were right that it works far better with my Harmony than my old Samsung did (pulls up the menu, then sends the signal for whatever input we're looking for and goes straight there, no matter what input it was last on! Awesome!, now if I can only get my Harmony's USB port working a bit more consistently I can keep tweaking settings...).

OTA HD channels look great (those that I can tune in... still working on placement for the antenna), and DVD's just playing from a progressive scan player look wonderful (Not sure I even have a desire for an upscaling player now!).

I'll post more as I mess with the settings and discover more about this TV but I am exceptionally happy wit it! Can't wait to get some time to really try out some of my 360 games on it! Thanks everyone for the info, you can count me among those who are very very happy with this TV!

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer23 /forum/post/17022650

Thanks for the settings! I'll go home and try them out. Just picked up the set last this past weekend and I love it. Out of the box, Batman on Blu-Ray looks stunning.

I tried the settings JoeyPro posted, and I found that the picture had too much of a green tint for my liking. I posted my current settings here . If you can improve on them, let me know

1 - 20 of 26 Posts