AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK it's come down to these two. the Philips 36PT8320 is a 4:3 HD ready tube. The specs: flat screen, has two component inputs, two S-videos(1/back-1/side),accepts 480i,480p,1080i,and has other input I think is a VGA input(don't think it was DVI).I'm not sure of any stretching that it does(like vert. geo).

The Toshiba 32AF43 is a NON-HD 4:3 tube: Specs on this: flat screen, 3 Components(2in,1 out),does not do 480P(I think),two S-videos(1 in the front,1 in the back)

Here is the dilemma the Philips I can get for $812 total. The Toshiba I can get for $438 total.

Is the Philips worth going with for an extra $374 going from 32' to 36" and HD?

I'm on a real tight budget(didn't want to go over $550) but if the Philips is a lot better buy in the long run then I'll have to suck it up and get it.

I'm getting separated and getting an apartment. So just trying to get a TV for my surround.

Let me know which way to go and why? or just give me your opinion.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just recently bought the 32AF43, and I am very happy, everything has worked just fine, I use it mostly with my replay tv which I have connected via S video (due to costs of component cables) and the quality is awesome

Everyone who comes over says it is very nice. I like the price you mentioned. Mine was a little more than that a couple weeks ago.

The toshiba is my vote

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've had a Philips 32pt8320 for about a year and am very happy with it. The picture quality is very good on standard digital cable and great/stunning on HDTV. With more HD programming becoming available ( like Monday Night Football and the #1 CBS weekly NFL game) I would lean towards the Philips. Have you seen them in the same store and compared the PQ ? Factoring in how much time you spend watching TV, is the difference worth $374 over the next 3- 5 years? To me, it would be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got the 36PT8320 for around the same price you lookin at, which is a steal IMO.. at least for HD

For one it has one VGA input and two component. The other is 36" is quite a bit larger than 32" especially if you like to watch your movies in 16:9 format which the Phillips has a compressed mode for. The one down side for me is that the set is a little over 200lbs and I only plan to use it as my main set for 5 years...but decided when it needs to be moved, I'll have the delivery guys move it to its new location for a few bucks :) Also the tweakability is slightly substandard IMO, but good enough for me and most..

If you have the $$ for the HD set, you'll get more years and use out of it IMO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I'm not going to eat for a year now but I bought the Philips 36PT8320! I hope I don't get Buyers Remorse :). So whats a Good Progressive scan Dvd Player for this beast? I was thinking of Sony's 725 for $129. Is this dvd player good?

Thanks help the help people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.