AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with a technical representative from Toshiba who told me that their 34HF81 HDTV is the only set in the US (except for the Sampo) that uses their best tube- the microfilter. He told me that this microfilter tube is what is used on Panasonic's and Sony's best sets in Japan.

So it would seem that the Toshiba and the Sampo use more advanced tubes than either Panasonic or Sony in the US. However between the Toshiba and the Sampo there seem to be a few factors that seperate them- some of which have caused Gary Merson to wax poetic about the Sampo. I think this might be the refresh rate? Anyone know about this??

Just more news to add to the pot of knowledge-

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing.

I was also told that Toshiba and Sony both collaborated on the Microfilter tube, of which there are 2 levels, H2 (the US toshiba/sampo) and H3 an even better tube with higher res but lower light output- strictly for Japan, not due to quality concerns just marketing reasons.

I'm surprised no one else has ever mentioned anything about the underpinnings of such televisions- perhaps we need to do better research?? No offense meant, just the facts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That explains why I found the quality of the Toshiba to be nearly comparable* to the XBR2, while, at the same time, costing $1000 less.

* Sony was showing HDnet. I've never seen my Tosh do better than CBS 1080i OTA (signal strength: 90), which looks excellent, but need a comparison of equivalent sources.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually according to the man from Toshiba (I am not sure if he would want me to give his name) the Sony set does not use a Microfilter tube as the best Sony's do in Japan (thou maybe the Sony compensates with better quality glass or some other electronic aids??) even in their new XBR2 set. So in theory the Toshiba and Sampo sets should actually produce a more realistic looking picture. I sure wish we could have some video guru who was familiar with the inner-specs of these sets come onto this forum and break all this down for us consumers?????? Any takers...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
if a video guru told you that the new sony34" widescreen TV had the H3 special tube, and after knowing this you saw the sony, sampo, and toshiba and felt that the toshiba looked better than the other two. What would you do then?

My point is just pick the TV that looks the best to you.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Aren't all Sony TV's "trinitron tube" based

(one "gun" / aperture grille)

and all Toshiba TVs three "gun" / shadow mask based?

I would be very surprised if a direct view

Sony TV and Toshiba TV used the same picture

tube.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PVR,

The man from Toshiba said that Sony and Toshiba were in a joint venture in developing the Mirofilter technology- maybe this technology can be used with either one gun or three gun technology?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Jl123- a number of threads that only Princeton and Sampo are using the best tube that Tosh offers. Now this thread implies otherwise- what's up?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Netnut,

I was told that the Sampo tube and the HF81 Tube were the same- with the only differences being the 720p capacity of the Sampo and the fact that in terms of the quality of electronics used the Toshiba would be much more reliable. The only other set in the US using the Flat screen Microfilter is the new Princeton 3.2HD- which will cost actually more money than the Toshiba?

I am still surprised that on such a specialized site as this, no one here has any knowledge as to the underpinings of these sets?? Nor it would seem does anyone have any ability to actually do a ISF based comparison of these sets???

Actually I can let you all in on something else I have been told- and that is (by a tech editor of a major video magazine) that direct comparisons between televisions are met with removal of advertising dollars. So it really is clear that any sort of real comparisons would have to be done by non-commercial or private individuals who do not risk putting their jobs on the line.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We're not familiar with the design because the manufacturer doesn't exactly publish the details. If they have better components used in an unavailable model, they don't want you to know.

Neither were we on the design team, nor do we strike up conversations in Japanese with those who were.

I suspect only a few people are privy to the electronics and tubes that go into these sets.

Thanks for clueing us in. Its nice to know if we're getting the best, or something less than.

BTW, when is the Princeton going to be available? I would think they'd do a better job on the electronics than Toshiba. Of course they might want to charge twice as much, which wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Netnut and Alch,

I suppose that a lack of 720p is a unfortunate, I suppose the set simply takes 720p material and displays it in 1080i mode- not sure how this would compare- though I'm sure ABC's 720p broadcasts would come out much better on display's that can display it as is. However with the toshiba it might be possible to buy a box that could allow for 720p- I just don't know which maker puts those out.

Alch, I suppose you are right. Most of us simply are not privy to manufacturers knowledge- though I can't help but thinking there are Industry types who do know this info, but only tell there friends. I'm sure that guy at Toshiba is pretty mad about now that I've broadcast his 'inner circle' knowledge.

The Princeton set is supposed to be available this week. It will probably sell for a street price of 2400$ And yes I think it would be an interesting comparison between the Princeton and the 16:9 Toshiba to see if Princeton's electronics really mean anything?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.