AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I hate threads like this but.......check out this line of thought. Now I'm not saying these ideas are going to win the format war but it will sure keep things stirred up and after some time has elapsed, well, who knows.....


I think Toshiba continues with it's current campaign to blur the dividing line between HDM and standard DVD and continues to produce HD-DVD players at low cost which should not be to difficult. Low cost remains the strongest selling point that Toshiba has over Blu-ray so why not continue to exploit this HUGE advantage.


Now, it is absolutely essential that Toshiba keeps at least one studio exclusive to HD-DVD for several years. Now it's imperative that the exclusive studio WORK with Toshiba in producing high profile releases i.e. Braveheart, Gladiator, Jurassic Park, exclusive releases of this nature. Now I know it flies against conventional wisdom to release films of this caliber with a low base of support, but partnership is essential between the exclusive studio and Toshiba.


As time goes by, through outlets such as Walmart, Toshiba builds a large base, consisting of people replacing their broken S-DVD players with an HD player as well as HD "purple" people, to the point where Blu-ray exclusive studios can't ignore the swelling HD-DVD numbers and at this point, anything can happen!!! Lets face it folks, "CHEAP" sells as long as Toshiba can maintain their low cost lead over Blu-ray.


What do you guys think??? No one liners please!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,088 Posts
Nice thoughts...but it seems that many folks are wishing Toshiba back in to the race.. For me and the industry supporting Blu Ray, it iover. No CE manufacturer or major studio wil go to Toshiba at this point. They're done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/12867662


Nice thoughts...but it seems that many folks are wishing Toshiba back in to the race..

Actually, its more like they hope Toshy optimizes their player value and current HD DVD collection by remaining active in the market, even if its ancillary in nature.


I have no issue with this. I like my A2 player and I enjoy my 25 HD DVD collection. I hope they do release more stuff as well.


Just my take...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,948 Posts
What Toshiba really needs to do is buy a major movie studio or two - like Sony did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts
I'm sure there are better up-converting players than Toshiba HD-DVD players if you just want to watch standard definition discs. I'm sure there are also ones that are region free for standard definition discs (unlike the Toshiba players).


If HD-DVD is to be successful they need more studios and content (it doesn't have to be exclusive), and more manufacturers making players (that aren't just re-badged Toshiba players).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
This is the 100th thread like this and I am still waiting for the answer to what is in it for the studios as opposed to just taking the easy route and going Blu?


This war has to end and all of the companies both hardware and software know it. The only thing keeping Toshiba going right now is the fact that some one high up is going to have to fall on their sword for this level of a disaster to Toshiba once they admit the truth. This is going to hurt the entire home electronic side of Toshiba and the share holders are going to want blood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Keeping even one studio exclusive to HD DVD is a longshot at this point. What reason would that studio have of staying exclusive? If they give in and go neutral or Blu-ray exclusive, they get to partake in a format that will supplement their falling DVD revenue for the coming years.


Granted, Toshiba could continue to give incentives to a studio to stay exclusive, but those incentives would have to be quite large at this point - and that costs money that Toshiba isn't making. You say Toshiba can keep prices low. I agree, but they'll do so at a significant subsidization cost. Keeping even one studio exclusive would be another expensive proposition, and to what end? Play as an insignificant spoiler, and at ruinous costs to themselves? If Toshiba wanted to sell hardware for $50, they'd never have gone to HD DVD - they could just continue to make upconverting players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
Toshiba can only make back their investment on HD DVD if all studios come over and it becomes the standard. That will not happen now so Toshiba's best position is to dump the remaining HD DVD players that are in the pipe line while keeping up the good poker face (being DVD/CD compatible they can ethically do this and are even emphasizing up scaling to cover their position). Keep in mind that Toshiba must be losing over a $100 for every player it sales (because of "free" software and production costs) so then they need write off HD DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/12867785


What Toshiba really needs to do is buy a major movie studio or two - like Sony did.

The fact that Toshiba doesn't own a big chunk of Hollywood like Sony does means there is no way for them to exercise the type of influence and leverage that Sony can/does.


MS also appears dead set on staying away from content ownership and also not willing to heavily leverage their console ownership for this cause.


An interesting twist is that at one time it was hotly debated whether Japan's investment in buying Hollywood would really pay off in the longterm. Blu-ray is evidently now a case in point that does no?

Are Japanese planning pullout from Hollywood?

Quote:
Sony and Matsushita each paid in excess of $6 billion in Sony's acquisition of Columbia and TriStar Pictures in 1989 and Matsushita's 1991 purchase of MCA Inc. (Universal Pictures). Analysts now estimate that both Matsushita and Sony could double their money if they sold today.

Toshiba wasn't one of those Japanese companies to buy in so they don't have content to use with their hardware.

In terms of power and leverage, it was a no contest from start wasn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/12867886


Toshiba can only make back their investment on HD DVD if all studios come over and it becomes the standard. That will not happen now so Toshiba's best position is to dump the remaining HD DVD players that are in the pipe line while keeping up the good poker face (being DVD/CD compatible they can ethically do this and are even emphasizing up scaling to cover their position). Keep in mind that Toshiba must be losing over a $100 for every player it sales (because of "free" software and production costs) so then they need write off HD DVD.

I don't believe they are losing that much if anything. Look at the Venture selling for 199.99 before Christmas. Like a Chinese manufacturer would be selling anything at a loss. Toshiba might not be getting much back in terms of R&D but I really doubt that they are losing much. Even if they were the only reason BD is doing as well as it is is because of the PS3 which is one of the biggest loss leaders outside American compacts and they sell nearly 5x the amount of those in a given period over what Toshiba sells.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel /forum/post/12867935


I don't believe they are losing that much if anything. Look at the Venture selling for 199.99 before Christmas. Like a Chinese manufacturer would be selling anything at a loss. Toshiba might not be getting much back in terms of R&D but I really doubt that they are losing much. Even if they were the only reason BD is doing as well as it is is because of the PS3 which is one of the biggest loss leaders outside American compacts and they sell nearly 5x the amount of those in a given period over what Toshiba sells.

They must be paying at least $10 per title for the discs. That would be $50 before you even build, package, and ship the players and Amazon has it listed for $132 and you know they are making a profit. So lets say Amazon pays $110 for them and the discs cost $50. You telling me that Toshiba can build player, remote, manual, cables, packing, shipping, supplier markup all of about $60 and still make a profit?


If HD DVD was sold at market value and there was a profit there would be other manufacturers involved.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs /forum/post/12867847


I'm sure there are better up-converting players than Toshiba HD-DVD players if you just want to watch standard definition discs. I'm sure there are also ones that are region free for standard definition discs (unlike the Toshiba players).


If HD-DVD is to be successful they need more studios and content (it doesn't have to be exclusive), and more manufacturers making players (that aren't just re-badged Toshiba players).

But don't you see....I don't know if you have a Tosh HD player...I have two HD-A2's and the upconversion is nothing more than remarkable and...........[drum roll please] it plays HD content and less in price than some pure upconverting DVD players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/12867662


Nice thoughts...but it seems that many folks are wishing Toshiba back in to the race.. For me and the industry supporting Blu Ray, it iover. No CE manufacturer or major studio wil go to Toshiba at this point. They're done.

That leaves about 6 billion other people to make a decision on the situation. Toshiba will either gain a foothold for HDM or kill it. Which would you prefer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louigi222 /forum/post/12868033


But don't you see....I don't know if you have a Tosh HD player...I have two HD-A2's and the upconversion is nothing more than remarkable and...........[drum roll please] it plays HD content and less in price than some pure upconverting DVD players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Toshiba HD-E1. It is NOT good at up-converting region 1 standard def discs



PS: Have you compared the upconversion on your HD-A2 to the upconversion on a different player? If so, in what way is the upconverted picture different?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty /forum/post/12868074


That leaves about 6 billion other people to make a decision on the situation. Toshiba will either gain a foothold for HDM or kill it. Which would you prefer?

In the words of U2 'One'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty /forum/post/12868074


That leaves about 6 billion other people to make a decision on the situation. Toshiba will either gain a foothold for HDM or kill it. Which would you prefer?

What? are you saying Toshiba will determine whether HDM lives or dies? If so that is just ridiculous. Toshiba wishes they had that much control of the situation.


6 billion? not much exaggeration there huh!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnj1958 /forum/post/12868228


What? are you saying Toshiba will determine whether HDM lives or dies? If so that is just ridiculous. Toshiba wishes they had that much control of the situation.

Toshiba can keep the market fractured and kill HD adoption. I suspect a check from Sony for 20 billion or so will fix it.
Quote:
6 billion? not much exaggeration there huh!

I guess you're right. I doubt that Bland and the people in the insustry account for 645,000,000 people.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/12867850


This is the 100th thread like this and I am still waiting for the answer to what is in it for the studios as opposed to just taking the easy route and going Blu?


This war has to end and all of the companies both hardware and software know it. The only thing keeping Toshiba going right now is the fact that some one high up is going to have to fall on their sword for this level of a disaster to Toshiba once they admit the truth. This is going to hurt the entire home electronic side of Toshiba and the share holders are going to want blood.

This is the 1000th, non-thinking, response that I see day in and day out on this subject.

I'll go on record as saying, I, as a consumer, don't give a rat's ass about what the studio's want and I'm tired of consumers like you supporting their actions. Who died and left them in charge. Don't you know they (studios) only want ONE format because it increases profits for them!!!!Who can deny the benefits (low prices) that we, as consumers, realized while this format war was going full swing. Are you a Toshiba shareholder?
 
1 - 20 of 178 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top