AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to several electronics retailers that have each gotten a bunch of new 16:9 HDTV sets. I haven't really been paying attention to all the new models coming out, but I was kinda surprised by all they new 16:9 sets that are below 3 grand, or right around 3 grand. Initially, I thought that the new 47'' 16:9 Panasonic was a steal at $1999.99 but after looking at these sets extensively at some different retailers, I'm more inclined to think that the picture quality of that set is leaving alot to be desired.

However, there is one new set that has really caught my eye. It is a 50 inch 16:9 HDTV from Toshiba. I don't know the exact model # but most stores have it with a price of $2699.99. I just got back from Sears tonite, and they had it for $2499.99, and you could get an extra 10% off by either using or applying for a Sears card. $2250 for this set is awesome. They had the Dish HDTV demo running on it, and it looked very clean. Very crisp. The color and detail was very vivid. I would have to say, that if I was in the market for a HDTV, this would be my number one pick.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
For the price, the Toshiba Theaterwides are really strong performers. They aren't quite as nice as the Pioneer Elites, but you can almost buy two Toshibas for the price of one Elite http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

At the same time, $2500 seems to be a pretty common list price for the 50H81. For around that same price you could get a 57HX81 off the net or from a brick and mortar store that's willing to deal on prices. The 10% off deal at Sears is good though. You get the confidence of knowing you'll have a local store to service it/back up the warranty pretty much regardless of where you move in North America. If you want to buy the Toshiba from a major retailer, Sears is definately worth considering. Unfortunately, they don't carry the larger 57" and 65" models http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif . Hopefully they'll at least be able to special order them some time later this model year.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
The 50h81 is a good set. I just did an hd install and calibration on this exact set last weekend. I have two Mits (65907 and 46809) and I was impressed with the performance of the 50h81. The ergonomics were exceptional as well as the display.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Interesting thoughts on the new Toshiba. Has anyone been able to compare it to the new Sony 57XBR2? I am looking to buy an HDTV and am looking at everything from the Pioneer Elites to the Sony to the Toshiba. Thanks.

------------------

Hugh Campbell

·
Registered
404 Posts
Kippjones,

Have you noticed any vertical ghost lines with the new Toshiba sets? My 50H81 and a couple of other people's H or HX series TVs over at *************** have this problem. Some people found out theirs is just EE, but a few of us still have this problem.

It's basically seen when you have a dark edge on a light background. With mine, on the right of the dark edge, there's a lighter, "ghost" line. This occurs with the set converged and at all settings and inputs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can buy the 50H81 at Sears, but know that they *WILL* price match off of the internet. So go find the best price including shipping that you can, then bring it to Sears and save a little cash. You should still be able to get the 10% off thing as well, but not sure. They don't carry the 50HX81 line though, which is too bad.

For the most info on the Toshiba sets go to the www.***************.com Toshiba forum. The best HDTV info is still here though. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks,

-Pat

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by El Pollo:
Kippjones,

Have you noticed any vertical ghost lines with the new Toshiba sets? My 50H81 and a couple of other people's H or HX series TVs over at *************** have this problem. Some people found out theirs is just EE, but a few of us still have this problem.
In my case, I have noticed that moving the component video and s-video cables away from underneath the back/bottom of the set greatly diminishes the appearance of the vertical banding. If it really is retrace reflections, I can't understand why moving those cables helps...

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
$2250 is a very good price. Onecall.com normally has the lowest prices you can find for an AUTHORIZED Dealer online and their price is $2250.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
740 Posts
I ordered a 57H81 from my local store (a independent retail place called Dunrite) for 2249.I Am still waiting for the set to come in, its been on order for 4 weeks, they said there cost for the set was around 2100. If it costs 2250 for the 50inch I guess I did good, the sales tax here sucks though!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have owned the 50H81 for a little over a month now and love it. DVDs look awesome, HDTV is stunning.

Best Buy had them a couple of weeks ago for $2357, add those preferred customer coupons you get every other week for another 10% and that it a pretty good deal.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
The unit I set up is a friends. I did not notice any vertical ghost lines. His set come out of the box set up rather well. I was pretty impressed. It was close to the "out of the box" condition of the Pioneers.

------------------

Kipp

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
They look like nice TV's from what people are saying. Do they have good 3:2 pulldown with film-mode?

If you watch non-HDTV, do you need an I-Scan Pro line doubler? I'm not too keen on what I have seen some Toshiba's do with NTSC cable. What happens when you watch regular cable,vcr or LD?

Do these sets always come with an integrated stand/base? I'm not sure, but I guess because its a projection television, it has the projector in that stand part? I ask because I just finished modifying a great TV/AV stand and would hate to have to ditch it. Plus, I don't know where I'd be able to put my equipment (RCVR,LD,DVD,CD,SVHS VCR).

I guess the only thing close to that is a Toshiba 34HF81C. Thats about as big as CRT's get I guess, apart from 36".

[This message has been edited by cpc (edited 09-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cpc (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones:
What brand cables are you using?

The s-video cable is monstor and the component video cables are ultralink.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Highwire,

You may want to inspect your cables for any holes in the shielding. If there is even the smallest hole, interferance can sneak into the cable.

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm not sure what "away from the bottom" means, but my component cables are pretty close to going straight across from the Component 1 ports to the DVD player (not much slack but not tense). The component cables are Acoustic Research, the composite for cable TV is Monster, and the composite for the VCR is Radio Shack. All the inputs have the ghost lines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been reading these groups and various HD related sources for about a month now, and the 50H81 is the one I currently have my eye on. I own a standard 4:3 Sony 32" and really want to upgrade to something HD but within my budget and space requirements (50" is already stretching what I can fit in my entertainment area.) I figure going with a monitor only is the best approach and getting a tuner when programming is more available.

So I would also be interested in real user opinions on this set as well as the HX model. Also, how well does standard Tivo S-video look on this set? I have not made any final decisions yet but Tivo and DVD would be the main use for now and until HDTV content is made widely available.

Lastly, not to get off topic, but I consider myself above average when it comes to educating myself on technology prior to deciding what I want to spend my money on, but HDTV and the idea of DFAST and other copy protection schemes have nearly scared me off committing any of my money to buying a set now as I don't want a 200 pound door stop when pay-per-view and other HD content in 2 or 3 years suddenly is not viewable even with my new external HD receiver. I simply don't see how the average joe-six pack could ever make an informed decision at a store on what he was buying...and we all know the kind of advice one can expect from most 20 year old salespeople.

Thanks to all of you for the great info and opinions on these forums.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Has anyone been able to compare it to the new Sony 57XBR2? I am looking to buy an HDTV and am looking at everything from the Pioneer Elites to the Sony to the Toshiba. Thanks.
IMO the 57" Tosh looks better than the Sony and it costs considerably less. If you are looking at everything, take a look at the new Pioneer Home (non-Elite) sets, they are also very nice.

Quote:
They look like nice TV's from what people are saying. Do they have good 3:2 pulldown with film-mode?

If you watch non-HDTV, do you need an I-Scan Pro line doubler? I'm not too keen on what I have seen some Toshiba's do with NTSC cable. What happens when you watch regular cable,vcr or LD?
The line doubler/scaler (Tosh scales to 540p) in the new Tosh sets is very good, better than all except the Pioneer (non-Elite), IMO. The Tosh sets also have an excellent stretch mode (TheaterWide 1), also better than any set except the Pioneer, IMO. Interlaced inputs (standard television, LD, cable,etc.) are pretty good on the Toshibas. The pioneers are even better, but cost considerably more.

------------------

Dan Driscoll

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.