AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D* HD DVR in my Family room, but do not have one in my HT room. The D* receiver is in a spot of the family room that is about 35' from my HT Denon AVR. I'd like to hook the HD DVR up to my Plasma in the Family room with HDMI for video, and Toslink from an the D* receiver to an old JVC 5.1 receiver.

I'd also like to install about 25' of Component cables from the D* receiver to my PJ in the HT room. That's not a huge deal. What I'm wondering, is if the 35' Toslink Fiber Optic Cable from Monoprice will work between my D* receiver and my Denon AVR in the HT. I'm not sure if a 35' toslink Fiber cable will even work. Anyone know?

·
Registered
419 Posts
10m is supposed to the maximum length for the specification, but I've seen it work well even at longer lengths. Given that a 35' cable is effectively 10m long, it's actually (just about) within spec. Honestly, I wouldn't expect there to be any issues.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Specs are all well and good, but the real world is different.

Really it depends on the strength of the light from the transmitter, the quality (transparency) of the cable, and the sensitivity of the receiver. I bought a couple of 25' toslink cables from monoprice ("PREMIUM 25FT Optical Toslink Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector"). As a test, I joined them together with a coupler (also monoprice) and joined this to another Toslink cable between my PS3 and receiver. The resulting 56 foot monster with multiple couplings, worked just fine. I will add that the two 25 footers were coiled up at the time (about 1 foot diameter) and this attenuates the signal, so they would actually let a little more light through if laid straight out.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Below is what I'm looking to do, so I'd need a 35' or maybe need a 50' Toslink FO cable and the Monoprice Digital Optical Toslink Splitter Adapter.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Look doable? I'd like to be able to watch BOTH the PJ and Plasma through the D* HR20 DVR. I believe I read once that it outputs over HDMI and Component simultaneously. Anyone know if the Toslink Splitter outputs the audio simultaneously? I'd assume yes. If not, it's no big deal, but would like to know that I COULD if I wanted.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley /forum/post/14206928

Thanks guys. Below is what I'm looking to do, so I'd need a 35' or maybe need a 50' Toslink FO cable and the Monoprice Digital Optical Toslink Splitter Adapter.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Look doable? I'd like to be able to watch BOTH the PJ and Plasma through the D* HR20 DVR. I believe I read once that it outputs over HDMI and Component simultaneously. Anyone know if the Toslink Splitter outputs the audio simultaneously? I'd assume yes. If not, it's no big deal, but would like to know that I COULD if I wanted.

Don't know about that splitter specifically, but I run Toslink at 35' all the time. Works just fine.

Frank

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to tech support at Monoprice and the splitter works as shown above. I should be good to go. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts