AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I need some help. I have a customer that has a TV mounted above a fireplace and all of his sound equipment mounted in a cabinet accross the oppisite side of the room. The living room is an open two story room with a hallway and stairs above where the euipment is. There is no way to run a direct cable from the TV to the receiver. Several years ago the home builder ran a long HDMI cable from the equipment area to where the TV is. He wants to be able to stream movies and other audio and video things to his TV but he wants the sound to come out of his sound system. His TV only has optical digital output on it. He wants an optical wirless transmitter to send the TV sound output to the sound equipment across the room.What would be the best item to use and where would it be found?I have not been able to find an optical wirless transmitter anywhere. I thought about running it with bluetooth but I can't find one that runs with optical. The ones I have found only take RCA stereo inputs. Any help or advice on how to get this working for him would be wonderful.

Thanks everyone,

Paul Kepner

Home Theaters Plus

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi Paul,

I'm not sure you can get there from here. Look into the specs of the TV: Most TV's only use the optical output for audio received from the TV's own tuner. Anything received over HDMI may not be available from the optical output. Even if the TV did support outputting optical-audio from HDMI, S/PDIF is limited in the audio formats that it can carry.

It sounds like the source of his content is coming from the equipment area. He should be able to tap the audio there with a simple HDMI splitter. There is no need to go through the TV.

·
Registered
231 Posts
In most modern setups all you need to connect your sound system to your TV is a single HDMI cord.

Nothing needs to come out of the TV.

Plug everything (audio and visual sources) into the receiver and let the receiver push it out to the TV. Upgrade the receiver if you need to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.