AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SA 8000 just arrived (worried now that I read some posts on it) and I am trying to tie it all in. The cable guy left with just box, remote and a pamphlet on its use (typical). My surround amp has only 1 digital coax, 1 video and 1 optical input. I just ordered an optical cable but it will be a week or so till it gets here.

Does optical surround need the video input the way Coax digital does? The SA-8000's surround and dual tuners is really the only reason I am disturbing the system I have been content with.

The DVD is currently on the coax but it will do either and if I can tie it all in I may be happy with it.

Thx

Greb

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I'm really confused as to what your question is and why it's here. =)

what's the part about digital coax needing video? Is that your reciever that has that restriction? I've never heard of a reciever requiring any specific source to handle another type of signal. If you are talking replayTV, you need to provide more info.

But... if you want to get DD and any other multichannel format to your receiver you must use a digital transport, coax or toslink. If you only have one choice of output on a specific piece of hardware you options are limited.

I honestly am stumpped as to what a SA 8000 is, but I'm just guessing it's a cable box with optical out and the ability to handle digital audio streams, maybe HDTV box or directv box.

If you only have the ability to get or decode Dolby pro logic you can use the standard analog cables (red an white cables) prologic is an analog format, where as dobly digital is gues what.... digital.

I'd say if you are talking cable box -> replayTV then you'll use analog (Red and white) cables for the audio and s-video or composite for video. If you want to use rf signal (coax) I'd really suggest against it. I'd then run the optical out from the cable box (if it really has that) to the reciever on an input that bypasses the replay, if the receiver has enough inputs). Man there are really too many unknowns for me to even try to describe the setups possible.

So... what exactly are you asking?

How about providing manufacture and model numbers of all pieces involved in your setup and maybe a basic, yet detailed, description of how you have it all wired together.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.