AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello users! I am in the market for a TV that I am going to use in my basement/family room. The TV will mostly be used for gaming with the PS3 but also intend to watch TV when running on the tread mill. I came across two televisions that are in my price range. I really do not want to spend over $400. Here are the two televisions that I saw: 32LD400 and the LN32C350. One is from Samsung and the other is an LG.

I am so lost right now as I do not even know if I should be considering plasma, LCD or LED. Also, are the brands from Walmart and Kmart good? Such as Dynex (Best Buy), Visio or Emerson? Also, does it matter if it is a 1080 or 720? I wanted a 32" TV that fits my budget and that displays games without the lag. Also, I noticed the LG has a contrast ratio of 100,000:1 and a response time of 6ms whereas the Samsung has a ratio of 35,000:1 and a response time of 8ms. Also, the LG is 1080 at 60Hz and the Samsung is 720 at 60Hz...This is confusing! Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamster001 /forum/post/19510472

Hello users! I am in the market for a TV that I am going to use in my basement/family room. The TV will mostly be used for gaming with the PS3 but also intend to watch TV when running on the tread mill. I came across two televisions that are in my price range. I really do not want to spend over $400. Here are the two televisions that I saw: 32LD400 and the LN32C350. One is from Samsung and the other is an LG.

I am so lost right now as I do not even know if I should be considering plasma, LCD or LED. Also, are the brands from Walmart and Kmart good? Such as Dynex (Best Buy), Visio or Emerson? Also, does it matter if it is a 1080 or 720? I wanted a 32" TV that fits my budget and that displays games without the lag. Also, I noticed the LG has a contrast ratio of 100,000:1 and a response time of 6ms whereas the Samsung has a ratio of 35,000:1 and a response time of 8ms. Also, the LG is 1080 at 60Hz and the Samsung is 720 at 60Hz...This is confusing! Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at similar sized sets and one of the best that I have found is the Panasonics. The 32c22 and the 32x2 are both very good sets with exceptional off angle viewing and good black levels. Amazon has them for some good pricing and I have found the C22 here locally for a little over $300.00. I wouldn't be to worried about 1080p for that size as you'll likely be far enough away not to notice the difference. Also don't get hung up on specs as each manufacturer uses their own methods. Go look for yourself and see what looks best to your eyes and view them from your normal distance.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamster001 /forum/post/19510472

1. LED tvs are LCDs, they just use a different type of backlighting. Plasma tvs are not made in sizes under 42" so if you want a 32" flatscreen tv, LCD/LED is your only choice.

2. Obviously, tvs from Dynex, etc aren't going to give you the absolute best image quality possible but if you are satisfied with the image it does produce (and many people are), then no point in spending more on a mainstream brand for a difference you may never notice or be able to take advantage of. My guess is perfect image quality isn't going to matter that much while you are running on the tread mill.

3. It is pointless to compare response times and contrast ratios between brands. Each company has its own way of measuring (distorting) these values making comparison between competing models basically impossible based on the numbers provided by the manufacturer.

4. 1080p on a 32" tv is basically pointless. In order for the human eye to notice the increase in resolution 1080p provides over 720p, you would have to sit no further than 3 or 4 ft from the tv. Otherwise, the further away you sit, the difference between 1080 and 720 becomes impossible for the human eye to detect. On larger tvs, the difference in resolution becomes magnified so you can sit further away and still see the difference. However, on a 32" set, I feel you are basically throwing your money away if you spend extra for the 1080p resolution because you simply will not be able to notice the minor improvement in picture quality unless you sit very close to the tv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts