Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Let me introduce myself. I am a poor college student who loves games and likes movies (not big on the movies, unless they involve the military :p.) So with the 'poor' in mind, I have created a DIY projector *please refrain from insults/critizism* as I know it isn't a great projector and normal tv's aren't supposed to be used as projectors, as they don't really throw light out that like a normal projector. It's just really better than nothing. So here are my questions.

What is really super reflective. I read on the forum - 'rustoleum aluminum'.. would I paint (heavy coats) that on normal wood or...?

Blackout Cloth... Would (apparently, i cant post links)
joann.com/shop/shop_zoom.jhtml;$sessionid$XPFHIXQAAA3LMP4SY5FRIHR50LD2UEPO ? CATID=24842&PRODID=34538&SKUID=51393&_requestid=114416

Im sorry for not being really knowledgable. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty L
I'd recommend a Stewart Firehawk.
He's using a DIY projector with one of the fresnel lenses attached to a CRT TV, a firehawk would absolutely do no favours to this kind of low output projector, then there's the fact that he stipulated he wanted a low cost solution - the firehawk is infact expensive as I'm sure you already know.

Which brings me to the question: Did you even bother to read his post?

Anyway...

For a lowcost solution you could just use blackout material which is a straight 1:1 gain (or thereabouts) material. If your wanting more brightness then you'll have to start looking at materials with gain, unfortunately this also means that the price goes up as well.

Its difficult for me to give you examples as I'm in the UK and we don't have the likes of Carada, DaLite etc over here.

But I'd suggests looking at 2+ gain screens since you have very little light output from you projector.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't feel too bad XRocker. I have a DIY projector as well. It consists of a 14" tv which has been modified in the service mode for higher drive and a professional 3 element 8" dia. lens assembly. I only need a wall painted with Mississippi Mud since my setup is fairly bright.

If you're using a fresnel lens, I wouldn't waste money on anything beyond blackout cloth. Fresnels are so inferior that they produce color and spherical abberations that distort the image. Any screen with gain will just make those ugly effects more visible. Seriously look into finding a pcx or PMN lens with atleast a 100mm diameter and FL above 250mm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
While the above suggestions are great! Might I also suggest a trip over to the DIY Audio/Visual Fourums !?!

The " The Moving Image " Forum section(s) have Many, Much better ideas for DIY Projectors. There are many of them that will improve your viewing Pleasure, while taking it easy on your pocket $$$! There is a large bunch of very helpful people there from all over the world willing to help anyone who needs it. Stop by, read a bunch and see what interests you.

Good Luck & Welcome to the Group!!

Tall Shadow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.