AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been reading, re-reading and going back and reading again about subs and build threads, now it's time to start planning mine.

My HT is in my sig, to put it short it's 17x14x7. Right now I've got a Denon AVR 591 as my receiver. I've got two POLK Monitor 50's (the cheapie ones) as my fronts and some cheap left over yamaha's out of a 7.1 system as my center and surrounds. I'm also using the 8 inch powered sub that came with the yamaha as my sub.

It was fine upstairs, it's no longer okay.

So questions:

I'm building a platform for seating in back, can I put sub(s) in there?

I'm on a pretty tight budget (racing is expensive) but I'll wait until i have the money for the components. My plan was two sealed enclosures in the platform with a SA1000 powering two RSS390HF-4 15 inch dayton drivers...

Which way should they fire/be facing?

Any other suggestions? (I'd really like to build a THT but I just don't have access to the equipment)

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador /forum/post/19646706

How big is the platform in cubic feet?

30.24 cu ft

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm taking it purchasing 4 subs is out of the question?

Thats a lot of volume, even for a ported enclosure of two subs that is a lot of volume.

I'd have to do some modelling to see how it would pan out, but i dont have my laptop setup at work yet. I'll check back here in a couple hours when i have some time to model and post some graphs.

Realistically with those 2 subs, you'd be better off building 2 smaller sealed enclosures and putting one sub in the back or front 2 corners of the room, depending on the layout.

Edit: Some of the other members might be able to suggest some drivers, but i know very little about Infinite Baffle. That might be large enough for using 2 drivers as infinite baffle.

2x of these 18's would probably work well in that enclosure.
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/19649084

I'm taking it purchasing 4 subs is out of the question?

Thats a lot of volume, even for a ported enclosure of two subs that is a lot of volume.

I'd have to do some modelling to see how it would pan out, but i dont have my laptop setup at work yet. I'll check back here in a couple hours when i have some time to model and post some graphs.

Realistically with those 2 subs, you'd be better off building 2 smaller sealed enclosures and putting one sub in the back or front 2 corners of the room, depending on the layout.

Edit: Some of the other members might be able to suggest some drivers, but i know very little about Infinite Baffle. That might be large enough for using 2 drivers as infinite baffle.

2x of these 18's would probably work well in that enclosure.
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

4 aren't out of the question... neither is putting them in separate enclosures, or building a 'box within a box'... I'm trying to find the delicate balance between "this is my first home theater it will probably be sold with the house so lets not go overboard" and "I'd like the windows upstairs to fall out and the SQ to be perfect" in the budget column.

wiser to build a box within the platform for 1 of the 15's and put the 2nd (or even 2) up front in sealed enclosures?

speaking of IB- I have a whole room behind the screen that is unfinished storage room... can I use that for IB??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador /forum/post/19649491

You can use an unfinished room as an ib. If that is an option definitely look into that, would be my first choice.

Really... that'd be... cool.

Any good reading on IB setups off hand? I'll obviously be searching now but what kind of size/power requirements am I looking at? (More than traditional sealed/ported?)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also any concerns with mounting to the wall to isolate my screen from the vibrations? or will the sub not physically shake the wall since it has IB and can move the air?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
build an opposed IB manifold and your vibration issue will me much less. I have a quad opposed IB and it barley vibrates the wall or box at all. The room and everything in it are a completely different story though lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So can I build a pair of opposing manifolds with 2 15's in each one hanging off the wall into the unfinished room so that none of the woofers are laying down?

That could work out really nice, two manifolds coming out right under the screen... more reading to see how to size manifolds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts