AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im thinking I want to tackle building a sub or a couple subs for my home system. I currently have klipsch rf-82's out front powered by a yamaha rx-v1800 receiver. My room is 13 1/2' by 21' with a ceiling that tapers from 8 to 10'. I want the sub to be able to keep up with the rf-82's. I listen to mainly music so I was thinking a couple of small sealed enclosures. this would also work good for placement. I have 2 open spots on the floor on each side of my tv stand. This would also be my first build so complexity is an issue also. Money is also an issue, I was thinking i like to keep them under $300 a piece or if just one under $500 or so. Thanks alot for any ideas, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
You can do darn well for the $500 for one if you don't get carried away. Lots of established designs. Yes, sealed is easier but be sure the driver you select is suitable for it. (low EBP) . If this is for HT, you may want to reconsider and go ported. If you build one, you will get hooked and soon be able to justify a second.

On a budget, don't get carried away with fancy boxes. Keep it to well braced painted plywood. Spend your money on the driver. No amount of amp or box can make up for a weak choice.

In the budget end:

I built several 12" Titan III's with e-bay NOS Hafler plate amps for under 300 each. Not earth-shakeing but suitable for their intended use. Ported

Built a pair using the 10 insh RS series Dayton, again with a Hafler plate, sealed with a LT added to the amp.

I use a pair of Peerless '500's driven by a used Hafler DH220 and Behringer crossover. Higher quality but the pair total was closer to $800 complete.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hey Jason, welcome to the forums. the most relevant part of your post is your mains as the sub you buy or build needs to compliment these first and foremsot. First off, your Klipsch's extend to 40hz flat, so your priority in subwoofer output needs to be the lowest octaves. Second, your Klipsch's are very efficient and capable of some serious output. Anything less than equal performance from a sub is going to pale in comparison. While the notion of two small sealed subs might seem interesting at first, given your mains the conflict becomes apparent in that your mains are just about as capable as a pair of small sealed subs so hardly anything gained in that. Now two ported enclosures tuned to the upper teens and crossed low will certainly give you a bang for the buck and really appreciate the effort and investment. They don't have to be too big, but you didn't specify what size footprint you can live with either. Let us know. Budget really isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help and im glad to be here! I know what your sayin about the klipschs. Iv tried a few different subs with them and so far the mains are able to outdo anything iv plugged in, none have been of super high quality, but I thought they might make it sound better. nope.

So as far as size goes, i was thinking 2 subs with a footprint of like 14" x 17" and 14 or 15"high or somewhere in that size. front firing would be cool also, but my biggest concern is sound, I just want something that is going to nicely compliment the 82's. Im open to whatever ideas you guys throw out there. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Well Jason, if you're willing to accomidate a slight increase in size, the Dayton RS315HO 12" subwoofer would work nicely in the pairs and in the budget. We'd need an enclosure of 15" wide, 18" deep and 17" tall fitted with an easily built in slot port for fairly simple construction. A Pair of the Dayton SA240 plate amps will round out the power and budget. I've worked with these drivers before and they are truly small box champs. Pm me if you like the idea and i'll outline an enclosure for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.