Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I've decided on a Plasma Screen over a DLP (for many reasons) Reading this forum has me a bit confused... Maybe someone can help?

I'm trying to decide on screen size, I was initially thinking 42, but will most likely opt for a 50. My questions are:

My setup will be above a fireplace (won't get warm) with the speakers and center channel built into the sides of mantle. (as seen in AV interiors mag)

It's going to be a bit of work getting Cable and ethernet over to this location, but I think we have that figured out. I currently use a standard Cable box with a Replay 4160 (I'm very happy with it BTW). I will most likely switch to DirecTv and am planning my wiring accordingly.

What else do I need?

Plasma Screen (need to chose brand)

Line Doubler? (do I need one?)

Run it though an AV amp? (I'll buy a new one.. suggestions?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you're gonna watch DirecTV on your plasma, you'll need to do a lot of work to get a satisfactory picture.

I've had my plasma for 4 months or so and am still looking at ways to improve the Sat feed.

If you can afford it, external scalers would certainly help some.. but are quite expensive.

Lots of people have reported improved results using a video capture card and DScaler - which is what I'm currently using. Certainly cleans up the picture a lot, but the digital compression artifacts remain problematic..

If you look in the HTPC forum the MyHD tuner card can supposedly upconvert the DirecTV signal to 720p or 1080i.. I'll probably be trying that next month.

Best of luck.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It depends on your cable company and the particular plasma. Some plasmas handle SD much better than others due to a better internal scaler, and the PQ on DirecTv varies enormously from channel to channel, depending on how much compression they apply. Their local channel service is the worst - - nearly unwatchable. My analog cable looks significantly better, but luckily, I am able to get all my locals via OTA digital, which is the gold standard.

The mid-range "free" channels like ESPN, Discovery, etc. have sorta OK PQ. Some compression artifacts visible, but generally better than my analog cable and usually quite watchable, albeit not exactly theater quality. I've seen other cable systems that do have better PQ than DTV on these channels.

The premium satellite channels - PPV flicks and HBO, Showtime, etc - usually have PQ that's about as good SD NTSC gets. I've seen many flicks on these channels that were very close to DVD quality on my 42" Panny.

There's no simple answer. That's why I have them all - DTV, analog cable and Digital OTA - all running into my rig.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Autom8ed

If you're gonna watch DirecTV on your plasma, you'll need to do a lot of work to get a satisfactory picture.
Another newbie question: Does the same apply if you're using the HDTV version of DirecTV? I'm assuming not, but I'm also getting ready to drop several thousand $$ on a new system, so I'd rather not "assume" anything. :)

--kurt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klieber
Another newbie question: Does the same apply if you're using the HDTV version of DirecTV? I'm assuming not, but I'm also getting ready to drop several thousand $$ on a new system, so I'd rather not "assume" anything. :)

--kurt
If you have the HD Directv box, the HD channels that the plasma will pickup through component input will look great. As for the regular band coming through s-video, it "depends". Your best bet is to test it out with no help and see how you like it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
genearch,

It's nice to see another sc430 owner interested in a plasma screen. Thanks for all your posts on the clublexus forum.

If you can swing it, the 50" is the way to go. I'm on my second plasma (initially the Pio 505HD and now the Pio 503CMX). The Pio's are great sets and you won't be disappointed. My recommendation would be the Fuji 5001/5002 or the Pio Pro1000/503CMX (differences in models numbers refer to commercial vs industrial). You can do a search and find enough material to last you til the next millennium.

STB: Zenith DTV1080.

I have used the DTC100, Sony HD100 and Panny. The Zenith works the best for me. There is a south Fla guy (maybe its all the heat) that swears that the Zenith and Fuji is the best combo since Spurrier and Wuerffel (all Gator fans will get this)

Scaler: Leeza

Buy far one of the best companies to work with from a customer service perspective. Potentially able to get a true digital path from a DVD to the plasma. Remember, no matter what you read garbage in = garbage out. I have not seen a scaler do a good job with a ****** DTV signal to date.

A/V Proc: Lexicon, Proceed, Anthem

Do some lurking on this forum, you'll find a wealth of info.

PM me if you have specific questions,

mfb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.