AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm sure you get posts like this all the time, but please go easy on me!

Is it possible to find nice receivers these days without all of the extras like airplay, a billion hdmi's, etc? I found a nice Denon, but it's loaded with things I have absolutely no use for. I WOULD like whatever I get to have excellent quality and audyssey & self setup. All I would ever need input wise would be ~4 hdmi and possibly an optical.

Also...not looking to spend $texas!

Sorry for the jumbled and probably idiotic post, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
The $65,000 question is this: what is the most you'd be willing to shell out? It's hard to help when you don't know the price range you're comfortable with.

Though, nowadays, just like with cars, it's all the flashy accessory bells 'n' whistles that manufacturers are pushing, not quality. Because they sell products.

Sometimes you just have to think of them as features you might be able to use later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Dan: Sub $500 would be great...but the lower the better

@jdsmoothie: Thanks! That may be right up my alley

Also, I was gifted a set of Pioneer SP-PK21BS - not sure if this info matters - They will be what the receiver pushes, for the most part.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Try Amazon, they have a decent price on the new Onkyo 609 receiver that's under your $500 limit.

It has 7.1 channel decoding (it also has pre-outs for 2 mono subwoofers) and Audyssey auto calibration, but that's pretty standard nowadays, and 6 HDMI inputs. It's the upper model in Onkyo's budget line. Should be able to power that basic speaker package of yours with no problems.

Like most all budget receivers, it is not a good idea to power lower impedence speakers (say, 4 ohm)... about 8 ohm average speakers are all they can safely handle without tripping the protection circuits. If you ever wanted to do that you must get a better receiver with higher capacity amps.

Also, if you ever want to add on more powerful and robust outboard amplifiers... look at a receiver model that has multi-channel pre-amp outputs... those models start a little bit outside of your stated price range, but not by too, too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.