AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am completely new to Flat screen TV's, receivers, surround sounds, Bluray's, 3d etc etc! My wife decided she wanted a gas fireplace installed and that led to a new flat screen SMART 3D HDTV to go over the mantle,....which led to a receiver, 3D Bluray, 5.1 surround and a power protector that I didnt even know could cost over $100!! (not to mention mine will cost $199 and it's on sale!!)

Anyway, I have or will be getting soon --Samsung UN60ES800 3D SMART HDTV,...Denon 1913 Receiver,....Energy RC Micro 5.1 speakers, ....Samsung BD-F5900 3d Blu-ray player,....Panamax M4300-PM power surge protector/line conditioner. And I already have a Comcast cable box (I believe it's HD,.... but obviously will get one if not!) Oh,..and probably a gaming system in the future.

I just want to make sure I have the right cables and have everything hooked-up/installed correctly as I am not overly confident with spending $250+ for some young Geek Squad guy to install and show me all I need to know. No offense to them but I am afraid he will know all the "tech",... but maybe not know my EXACT system and items so I dont want to waste the money if I already have to learn the TV, remote, etc myself!

So my question is about hooking up the wires/cables for now. Please tell me if I am correct with what I plan on doing.

1) Cable from wall to cable box

2) Hi-Speed HDMI from cable box to receiver

3) Hi-Speed HDMI w/Ethernet from receiver to TV

3) Hi-Speed HDMI from 3D Blu-ray to receiver

4) RCA cable with splitter to run from my Receiver to Subwoofer

5) Sub, cable box, receiver, Blu-ray all get plugged to power protector which plugs into wall outlet

6) Center, 2 fronts, and 2 back speakers connected to receiver in their correct posts using 14 gauge CL2 speaker wire (some wire will be "in-wall"

7) Game system connected to receiver via HDMI and plugged into power protector

Does this sound like the correct way to run my wires and cables?!!!!!

I will have a small "access panel" going to the TV (it is a framed out fireplace and will be covered with veneer stone), so I would like to make sure I have all the cables I need ran to the TV so I don't ever have to use it! As of now I only plan on running the Hi-Speed HDMI and speaker wire for the Center speaker that will be connected to the TV mount. I'm using the Sanus XF-228 mount with the Sanus VMA- 202 soundbar/center speaker mount --- for what it is worth!

Sorry,...1 more question: My TV has WIFI so I dont need to "fish" an ethernet cable from my upstairs router,...correct? My laptop works fine downstairs in the TV room so I assume I'm good to go?!!

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a loooong post!,....but as mentioned I am a Complete novice and I'm completely intimidated even after months of research!!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,116 Posts
Welcome, Do you plan on viewing any content on services like Netflix, If yes which device are you using to receive it, will it send the audio to the Receiver. The bandwidth of an Ethernet cable exceeds what you can stream wireless and you would be smart to run network cables to your equipment stack location and perhaps to the TV.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I'll leave the cabling questions to the experts but videogames is my area of expertise so ill say this. If you haven't bought a system or set your heart on one already, then I would wait until after June when E3 happens where all of the next gen systems and their flashy new games will be on display.

There are rumours going about that MS wants to replace your cable box with a gaming- class powered box which would also play all your TV stuff, presumably with a far more attractive interface than you have now. Oh and it will also play nice with all your mobile devices.

It will also cost about $500 this holiday and presumably will be hard to find so just have that information in mind when you decide what to buy for your gaming box.

Also, current generation consoles don't do a great job of running games at 1080p - they just don't have the horsepower. Most modern console games run at 720p or lower.

Final bit of advice on game consoles is that next gen systems are expected to be completely incompatible with prior generations which means your selection of games will be restricted to only games made specifically for that system. Xbox or Xbox 360 games won't work on the next gen Xbox and ps1 ps2 ps3 games won't work on the ps4. Sony is working on a cloud delivered solution for this but it won't be ready for at least a couple years. Ms had said nothing yet.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Sounds like your research has paid off. I would source your cables from Monoprice as you will save a ton of cash. I would even get your TV mount from Monoprice. You will want to run a network cable for your receiver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys so far! Sounds like I can stream with my wireless connection form upstairs but I still should run a cable from my routher upstairs down to the TV for a bteer quality

But I am still a little confused as Bigmouth says I should run an ETHERNET cable "to my equipment stack and perhaps to the TV". And W00ly basically said the same thing only calling the Ethernet cable a "network cable",...but mentioned just to run it to the receiver. Both my TV and Bluray offer netflix Hulu,etc but I assume Ill use my TV as If i am correct it will give a better/faster loading result. I have never "streamed TV or movies before for what its worth,although I do plan on it. Yes,... when I say nove I mean NOVICE!!!

So my next questions are:

1) Are ethernet cables and network cables the same thing with 2 different ways to describe them?

2) Should I run my ethernet cable attached to upstairs router fished through my walls down to TV room and plug it into my receiver (I assume my receiver has an ethernet port----I am really not sure as I dont have it yet!)

3) If I do this am I good to go or should I run another ethernet cable to my TV also as Bigmouth siggested? (If so,...should I run it from my router as well--fish 2 cables from upstairs--, or just another shorter cable from my receiver)

4) Is there an easier way to do this? Like is there a wireless type of router I can use downstairs that will "pickup" my connection from upstairs and I can plug my ethernet cable into that? I'd be willing to spend a few more bucks to save me from fishing or paying for fishing of this cable.

And thanks for the gaming advice,..I will definitely take that into consideration! And I already did order my cables through MONOPRICE as researching on this forum led in that direction! But now it seems I need to make another order for a loooooong ethernet cable as well!

I liked the Sanus mount with the center speaker attachment I seen from Bestbuy but did not see it on Monoprice,...but I did find it for 1/2 the price on Amazon so BestBuy will not be getting my buisness it seems. Looks like I will be ordering all my equipment from Crutchfield as ther 24/7 helpline looks and sounds good for my skill level, and their prices seem OK from my comparisons with other sites/dealers.

Please help!!!!!

Thanks again guys and I hope you can help with my above questions

·
Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ555  /t/1468050/total-novice-needs-some-help#post_23202735

Thanks for the replys so far! Sounds like I can stream with my wireless connection form upstairs but I still should run a cable from my routher upstairs down to the TV for a bteer quality

But I am still a little confused as Bigmouth says I should run an ETHERNET cable "to my equipment stack and perhaps to the TV". And W00ly basically said the same thing only calling the Ethernet cable a "network cable",...but mentioned just to run it to the receiver. Both my TV and Bluray offer netflix Hulu,etc but I assume Ill use my TV as If i am correct it will give a better/faster loading result. I have never "streamed TV or movies before for what its worth,although I do plan on it. Yes,... when I say nove I mean NOVICE!!!

So my next questions are:

1) Are ethernet cables and network cables the same thing with 2 different ways to describe them?

2) Should I run my ethernet cable attached to upstairs router fished through my walls down to TV room and plug it into my receiver (I assume my receiver has an ethernet port----I am really not sure as I dont have it yet!)

3) If I do this am I good to go or should I run another ethernet cable to my TV also as Bigmouth siggested? (If so,...should I run it from my router as well--fish 2 cables from upstairs--, or just another shorter cable from my receiver)

4) Is there an easier way to do this? Like is there a wireless type of router I can use downstairs that will "pickup" my connection from upstairs and I can plug my ethernet cable into that? I'd be willing to spend a few more bucks to save me from fishing or paying for fishing of this cable.

And thanks for the gaming advice,..I will definitely take that into consideration! And I already did order my cables through MONOPRICE as researching on this forum led in that direction! But now it seems I need to make another order for a loooooong ethernet cable as well!

I liked the Sanus mount with the center speaker attachment I seen from Bestbuy but did not see it on Monoprice,...but I did find it for 1/2 the price on Amazon so BestBuy will not be getting my buisness it seems. Looks like I will be ordering all my equipment from Crutchfield as ther 24/7 helpline looks and sounds good for my skill level, and their prices seem OK from my comparisons with other sites/dealers.

Please help!!!!!

Thanks again guys and I hope you can help with my above questions

1.) Both posters are referring to the same thing. When you buy your ethernet/network cables, get either Cat5e or Cat6 cables. I purchased Cat6 cable when I wired my home.

2.) I would. The AVR-1913 has a network port see picture below.

3.) In my system, I ran a cable for each network device I had. If you have space to hide a switch, you can run one cable from your router to the switch and connect your components to the switch.

4.) There are access points and other wireless devices that can be used but it is hit or miss for streaming video. Some people get them to work, most don't. When I say work I mean maintain adequate throughput for HD video. That is why a wired solution is better.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Before you go through all this (have you already had the fireplace installed?), take a step back and make sure the TV placement is going to work and be comfortable for you to watch. Many, many mantle placements make the TV way too high for normal viewing while seated. Yes, they look nice over the fireplace, but in the majority of cases, you'll end up looking "up" at the TV and it won't be a comfortable experience for your neck...

If you haven't gone that far already, think about moving the fireplace to one side of the wall (instead of the normal center placement I'll assume is the case here, too) so that it's still in view but allows for a TV to be placed on the wall at a better vertical location.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, fellas! Looks like I will doing the fishing the cable through the walls thing!

And yeah Jeff, fireplace is already installed (no veneer yet), and I do understand the concerns with mounting above FP's due to height concerns, (I'm actually reading some posts on that now!),....but unfortunately this is my only option with the way the room is laid out now. But I do have a 15ft+ area between the couch and TV and the bottom "step" that the FP sits on is only 5" above the floor, so I wont be in as bad of shape as some others! My mount extends 28" and tilts as well so all I can do now is hope for the best!

DMARQUESET, could you give me some info/options on what switch to buy as well as where to buy one and what "exactly" they are called (network switch I assume,but....??!!)
. I have never heard of this "switch" before. Seems like every time I think I am done doing research I'm right back to reasearching again!! Amazing how you guys know all this stuff!

And just to be sure,.....do my original cable routing methods sound correct? I havent been told Im wrong with any of it but want to be sure! I feel pretty confident but "think" I may of read a post where someone said attach speaker wires to sub,...not receiver? I may be wrong as I have read ALOT of posts and seem to forget some things as soon as I read them!

And just to verify,.....the ONLY wires going to the TV will be the HDMI, Ethernet/network Cat 6, and one speaker wire going to the Center Speaker since it will be mounted under the TV. Correct?!! I will have an access panel but it will still be a pain to route /fish wires to the TV so Id rather do it once and never "need" the panel.

Thanks so much, again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry,...but just an extra comment to my above post,.....my HiSpeed HDMI cable from receiver to TV is a "HiSpeed w/ETHERNET" cable,....so perhaps just running the network cable from my upstairs router to my receiver will be enough as my HDMI has ethernet in it?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ555  /t/1468050/total-novice-needs-some-help#post_23203327

And yeah Jeff, fireplace is already installed (no veneer yet), and I do understand the concerns with mounting above FP's due to height concerns, (I'm actually reading some posts on that now!),....but unfortunately this is my only option with the way the room is laid out now. But I do have a 15ft+ area between the couch and TV and the bottom "step" that the FP sits on is only 5" above the floor, so I wont be in as bad of shape as some others! My mount extends 28" and tilts as well so all I can do now is hope for the best!

With 15' of distance to your seating location, you're in better shape than most folks with this configuration. Coupled with your tilt mount, you've probably done the best you can.
Quote:
And just to verify,.....the ONLY wires going to the TV will be the HDMI, Ethernet/network Cat 6, and one speaker wire going to the Center Speaker since it will be mounted under the TV. Correct?!! I will have an access panel but it will still be a pain to route /fish wires to the TV so Id rather do it once and never "need" the panel.

I would pull at least 2-3 cat5e cables and an RG6 coax along with the HDMI and speaker wire, so that you hopefully won't have to pull anything later. If the wall is still open or you're cutting holes anyway, run some flex conduit to an accessible location / behind your AV stack, so that you have an easy path in the future.

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am not that up on all the ins and outs of HDMI but I believe each device, TV and receiver, has to support that version of HDMI for it to work. Some of the other guys may be able to give more input regarding that. As for the switch recommendations, I am partial to Netgear products however D-Link and Trendnet make good switches as well. If you shop online, you can get them at Newegg.com or Amazon.com. If you like brick and mortar stores then you can get them at Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, etc. Whatever brand you choose it needs to be an unmanaged gigabit switch. It'll usually have 10/100/1000 Mbps on it. I am currently using a Netgear GS608 version 3 and GS605 version 3. You should be able to find something to fit your needs for $50 or less. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK,.... mentioned to the wife about fishing the ethernet cable from the router upstairs to the Tv/receiver downstairs. She is not totally against it but would rather not! She says her parents dont have any cables from their router to their TV which are in different rooms and they use their Bluray and/or Wii (xbox?!!) to stream Netflix and Hulu. Granted both their TV and router ARE in different rooms but on the same floor only 1 room away. I beleieve they said they connect their wireless laptop to their TV to stream,...so not sure if they meant they dont use their Bluray for streming "any longer",..or,....??? Im American and when people start explaing things to me I swear it sounds Chinese!! I am getiing there though!

Could somebody please explain to me (and her) why we "need" the ethernet cable ran to the TV from the router? I understand it gives a "faster" connection than wireless,...but if her parents are doing it and not having any problems or "pauses" for laoding etc,....what is the acual reason it is recomennded?

I am definitely NOT doubting anybody,...I/we would just like to understand the reason for it as I thought the whole point of having a "wireless/wifi included/SMART TV" was to plug it in and have internet access

·
Registered
871 Posts
Don't beat up on us GS Guys, there are people like myself that take pride in what we do and spend half the day dealing with people who didn't take our advice in the first place and are fixing their problems.

#1 Just because the HDMI cable supports ethernet it doesn't mean your TV or Receiver will support sending that ethernet signal over the HDMI Cable.

# 2 Hardwire everything, especially your network connections unless you want you video to be choppy. Your Blu-ray does have wifi but with all things wireless it may work it may not your mileage may vary, the best time to run an ethernet cable is now before the construction is 100% complete.

#3 Plan on running an optical cable from the TV back to the receiver if you plan to use any of the streaming features on the TV, HDMI audio return sometimes work well and sometimes doesn't again you mileage may vary and the time to find out isn't after you just patched up any holes that you cut after fishing wires.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ555  /t/1468050/total-novice-needs-some-help#post_23203656

OK,.... mentioned to the wife about fishing the ethernet cable from the router upstairs to the Tv/receiver downstairs. She is not totally against it but would rather not! She says her parents dont have any cables from their router to their TV which are in different rooms and they use their Bluray and/or Wii (xbox?!!) to stream Netflix and Hulu. Granted both their TV and router ARE in different rooms but on the same floor only 1 room away. I beleieve they said they connect their wireless laptop to their TV to stream,...so not sure if they meant they dont use their Bluray for streming "any longer",..or,....??? Im American and when people start explaing things to me I swear it sounds Chinese!! I am getiing there though!

Could somebody please explain to me (and her) why we "need" the ethernet cable ran to the TV from the router? I understand it gives a "faster" connection than wireless,...but if her parents are doing it and not having any problems or "pauses" for laoding etc,....what is the acual reason it is recomennded?

I am definitely NOT doubting anybody,...I/we would just like to understand the reason for it as I thought the whole point of having a "wireless/wifi included/SMART TV" was to plug it in and have internet access

Wireless is hit or miss. A wireless connection may be good enough for general web surfing but a lot of times it isn't good for video. HD Video requires a steady throughput. Wireless often times have dips in throughput. These dips can be caused by a lot of things from router performance to outside interference. If the dip in throughput is big enough then you could see buffering, artifacts, and distortions in your picture. With a hardwired connection, the throughput is very steady and you don't have to worry about outside interference.

The only definitive way to really know if the wireless solution will work for you is to try it. That is the bad part about wireless. If it works great, if not then you are out of the money spent for trying to make it work. With my current router, I can stream 1080p content wirelessly throughout my home as long as no one else is doing anything wirelessly or no other device is connected. I could not stream reliably with my other router no matter what. I am currently using an all wired solution so that I have a solid connection and don't have to worry about my router any more.

Something you can try

If your laptop and router are wireless n devices and you subscribe to a streaming service such as Netflix or Amazon try the following:

1. Take the laptop into the room where the TV will be and watch a movie on Netflix or Amazon.

2. Look for artifacts in the movie, changes in picture quality, and/or buffering. (I am assuming your internet connection is fast enough to stream.)

3. If you don't have any of the issues in item 2 then try item 1 again with some other wireless device being used as well.

If you don't see any issues then that means wireless solution might work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot BLUEWAVES, and as mentioned "no offense" was meant towards GS guys!! I am still considering hiring GS for what it is worth! I was just worrying my particular GS guy might not be familiar with my "exact components", and 1/2 the reason I would be willing to pay for an install would be to be shown how to operate the TV, remote, Bluray, etc etc. I know they are all possibly the same but ,....well I hope you understand what I mean?!!!

Does Geek Squad "fish" cables also? I was told for the premium price they will cut sheetrock and drill holes in studs for wires,...but I am not sure about "fishing" cable from upstairs to downstairs. My local Comcast guy came to re-route my cable line but then informed me "I am on my own" because the new location was an "outside wall"?!! (Guess the insulation is too much of an issue for them?
)

Let me know if you have that info about GS and fishing cables!

Also,....dmarqueset mentioned running 2-3 cat5 ethernet cables to my TV,--- one goes to receiver...what would the other ones be for?

And he also mentioned running a RG6 coax as well,.....is this the "optical cable" you are referring to? If not what would the RG6 be for?

I plan on using my TV as oppsed to Bluray for streaming,...but if I decided to use the Bluray, would I need and optical from that to the receiver as well?

I understand I may be asking stupid, basic, questions that may eventually answer themselves; but I'm trying to understand all this info before I actually start installing anything as I'm (possibly!) days away from the process!! And I am very sorry to all those who I may be pestering!!! But any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thanks a lot BLUEWAVES, and as mentioned "no offense" was meant towards GS guys!! I am still considering hiring GS for what it is worth! I was just worrying my particular GS guy might not be familiar with my "exact components", and 1/2 the reason I would be willing to pay for an install would be to be shown how to operate the TV, remote, Bluray, etc etc. I know they are all possibly the same but ,....well I hope you understand what I mean?!!!

Does Geek Squad "fish" cables also? I was told for the premium price they will cut sheetrock and drill holes in studs for wires,...but I am not sure about "fishing" cable from upstairs to downstairs. My local Comcast guy came to re-route my cable line but then informed me "I am on my own" because the new location was an "outside wall"?!! (Guess the insulation is too much of an issue for them?
)

Let me know if you have that info about GS and fishing cables!

GS can and does fish cables, just be advised that most of those services are sold on an hourly basis unlike the basic flat panel mountings etc.. under no circumstances let the store sell you that labor make it clear that you want something custom done and have them set you up with a site survey or a consultation to get an accurate quote on the labor

Also,....dmarqueset mentioned running 2-3 cat5 ethernet cables to my TV,--- one goes to receiver...what would the other ones be for?

1 ethernet cable per device, or 1 to your equipment rack and then a switch with then 1 cable from the switch to each device, your receiver, blu-ray and TV all want to be on the network for updates, streaming, etc...

And he also mentioned running a RG6 coax as well,.....is this the "optical cable" you are referring to? If not what would the RG6 be for?

RG6 would be if you ever just plan on using just basic cable to the TV. An optical cable is just that an optical cable, its for an audio out of the TV to your receiver.

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

I plan on using my TV as oppsed to Bluray for streaming,...but if I decided to use the Bluray, would I need and optical from that to the receiver as well?

Your Blu-ray will send sound to your receiver via HDMI as that is the flow of the cable already source--> receiver ---> TV, the issue you end up with the TV sending audio back to the receiver is that you are asking the HDMI cable to work both ways and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I understand I may be asking stupid, basic, questions that may eventually answer themselves; but I'm trying to understand all this info before I actually start installing anything as I'm (possibly!) days away from the process!! And I am very sorry to all those who I may be pestering!!! But any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Bluewaves, now its starting to make some sense,....finally! Just to be sure, about the ethernet cable and switch,when you mentioned "1 ethernet cable per device, or 1 to your equipment rack and then a switch with then 1 cable from the switch to each device",....you meant the ONE main cable goes directly to the switch, then to each device correct? I'm a little lost with the "1 to your rack THEN a switch. But I'm hoping my common sense is correct that you mean from router to switch (which will be near my equip. rack) Then from switch to all other devices. Right?!!!

Macungie is right where Blue Mountain Ski area is, isn't it? I'm about 1 1/2 hours from you! (Fallsington, PA Lower Bucks County) I wish you were a tad bit closer as I'd just have you come over and pay you cash to do my fishing/installing/tutoring!! And I am still willing to for what it's worth!

But either way thanks for your help and please let me know about that "switch" question,......as well as the routing questions in my original 1st post. (I think I asked too many questions all at one that I never was told if I am doing the routing correctly)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've attached two pictures in hopes that it can make things a little more clear. The red lines represent network cables. The first one shows a single cable going from your router to a switch with 8 ports and then your devices plugging into one of the switch ports. The second shows multiple cables being pull directly from your router to your devices. As for the 2-3 cables jautor mentioned it is just for extra just in case you want to connect something else in the future. You only need one cable to go to the switch in your rack as bluewaves stated. I will defer to bluewaves for the wire routing question.

Switch Option

Direct from Router

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks d,.....Here is ONE of my 87987087987 thoughts! ..............

Could I just put the wireless router downstairs? I dont know anything about routers (go figure:rolleyes:),...but I do know that it gives my laptops "wireless connections" throughout the house. As of now my router is upstairs connected with a blue ethernet cable to my desktop computer which I only use for buisness (QUICKBOOKS), and my All-In-One printer/fax. Porbably a stupid question but if a router is for "wireless connections" why is it wired to my comp. and printer? I assume because my computer/printer is old and does not have wifi? And if so I guess putting the router downstairs would mean I STILL need to run cables upstairs now because my comp/printer still need to be connected?!!

I guess what I am really asking is: IF I didnt have my desktop anymore AND I buy a "wirelless" printer, THEN would I be able to have my router downstairs with no ethernet cables running through walls and between 1st and 2nd floors,......AND still keep/use my printer upstairs in my office?? Of course I am assuming they make wireless printers but if not than please excuse my ignorance!

When I switched to Comcast XFINITY" Triple Play" (phone.cable,internet), they disconnected my "cheap" Cysco N router and installed thier own Comcast Xfinity router,...for what it's worth.

Thanks again and sorry to all for dragging this on for so long but I swear things are starting to click!

·
Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ555  /t/1468050/total-novice-needs-some-help#post_23204372

Thanks d,.....Here is ONE of my 87987087987 thoughts! ..............

Could I just put the wireless router downstairs? I dont know anything about routers (go figure:rolleyes:),...but I do know that it gives my laptops "wireless connections" throughout the house. As of now my router is upstairs connected with a blue ethernet cable to my desktop computer which I only use for buisness (QUICKBOOKS), and my All-In-One printer/fax. Porbably a stupid question but if a router is for "wireless connections" why is it wired to my comp. and printer? I assume because my computer/printer is old and does not have wifi? And if so I guess putting the router downstairs would mean I STILL need to run cables upstairs now because my comp/printer still need to be connected?!!

I guess what I am really asking is: IF I didnt have my desktop anymore AND I buy a "wirelless" printer, THEN would I be able to have my router downstairs with no ethernet cables running through walls and between 1st and 2nd floors,......AND still keep/use my printer upstairs in my office?? Of course I am assuming they make wireless printers but if not than please excuse my ignorance!

When I switched to Comcast XFINITY" Triple Play" (phone.cable,internet), they disconnected my "cheap" Cysco N router and installed thier own Comcast Xfinity router,...for what it's worth.

Thanks again and sorry to all for dragging this on for so long but I swear things are starting to click!

Yes putting the router downstairs is an option. They do make wireless printers. If Quickbooks is the only thing you use your desktop for you may be able to plug in a usb stick that will allow it to connect via wifi or use powerline adapters to connect it to the network. Or like you said not use the desktop anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.