AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the 720p/1080p thread posted here I ended up getting a 720p, 50 " plasma. After watching it for only 30-40 minutes at 11' I started to feel an eye strain type of headache/motion sickness coming on. I get this same thing after playing CoD4 for long periods on my 16" pc CRT. So I hit the web to find anything on eye strain/large TV's. Found this about distance from the Canadian Association of Optometrists. They recommend a seating distance of 5x screen width, WOW! That's almost 18' for a 50" screen(screen width of 43+"). I'd have to sit outside, look in through the window and it's way too cold.

http://tv.about.com/od/frequentlyask...ngdistance.htm

The 720p/1080p thread says 117" which is 9'-3/4", approx. I think for those that may be prone to eye strain/motion sickness, due to your eyes having to dart around the screen to follow action, a further distance may be required.

Set is much bigger home then in store. Bummer...

·
Registered
426 Posts
There is hope.... I felt that way at first and about 2 weeks later it went away. Now I have done a 180 and I would say I could even go bigger. Hope that happens to you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, gunna give it some time. Have 30 days to exchange. Just thought I post what i found to maybe help others.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
They do in fact shrink. Over the years, my displays sizes have been 19, 27, 32, 42, 50, 52, 60, and every single one seemed huge at first. There is both good and bad to this. At first, your initial response is "Holy S%^*, this thing is huge". 2-3 weeks later..."I need a front projector".

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/15556910

They do in fact shrink. Over the years, my displays sizes have been 19, 27, 32, 42, 50, 52, 60, and every single one seemed huge at first. There is both good and bad to this. At first, your initial response is "Holy S%^*, this thing is huge". 2-3 weeks later..."I need a front projector".

So true, these things do shrink, I'm currently considering a 50inch Panasonic Neo PDP coming soon, but I have to wonder if it will be too small after a while and require yet another upgrade down the road. (currently have a 42inch 720p set.) If only Panasonic released their 58 inch sets at the same time as their 50inch and under sets....

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
When I was building an entertainment center for my first HDTV (a Samsung 61 inch DLP years ago), I put my 35" Sony trinitron in the living room which had me about 6-7 feet from the screen. At first it gave me headaches and almost dizzy. I was so close I had a hard time focusing. Like the other posters stated I got used to it after a few weeks.

I'm not sure I'm 11' from my 60" screen and it's not near big enough for me. I could easily go 80". There is hope for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I personaly found that if the brightness/contrast is set to high it gives me a headache. maybe try droping these settings a bit and see how you feel after.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think it's the combination of motion - the faster and jerkier the worse - and the area of your eyes that is exposed to it. In real life, the image of a passing car occupies only a small percentage of the eye sense area plus the motion is smooth and predictible as far as the trajectory goes. Change that scene to that idiotic "shaky hand camera", sit really close to the screen for the immersion efect and you are going to get dizzy. That's how mother nature is telling you you are doing something she doesn't like or approve. As far as I know, the THX standards do not deal with the exposure time, only screen size and distance. This may be a bad analogy, but that fun ride on a roller coaster humans were never meant to take should be done for a short time once per very long time, not 4 to 6 hours a day, every day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ramazur---I agree with lots your saying. It's a combination of things. The picture is fuzzy. Not sure if that's how SD channels are in general. Some are a bit clearer but most are fuzzy causing eye strain. The fast motion pans of the camera is another thing. Even a simple change in focus from one object to another on this bigger set is amplified. I have brightness and contrast settings down to about 50% for break-in so I don't think that's it. Second day with it and it's not as bad but still there. The fuzzy-ness of the picture is bothering me though. Perhaps that what CNET refers to when they say certain sets do SD better then others and some don't do it well at all. It may not be bad for an HDTV but it's new to me and maybe something I need to get used to. I have upconverting dvd player and movies don't really blow me away with their clarity even adjusting settings to try and make it better. I don' know...keep playing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am getting headaches watching my ln52a630

I was in CC the other day looking at the samsung plasma for awhile and dont think I had the same reaction but now that I read your post it might happen with a plasma as well if I brought one home.

I turned the amp off or low which helped but still find my eyes refocusing all the time during motion. I came from a similar sized dlp that was in the same spot so I dont get it.

Has anyone found a solution?

would a professional Calibration alleviate the situation?

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwatts /forum/post/15569237

I am getting headaches watching my ln52a630

I was in CC the other day looking at the samsung plasma for awhile and dont think I had the same reaction but now that I read your post it might happen with a plasma as well if I brought one home.

I turned the amp off or low which helped but still find my eyes refocusing all the time during motion. I came from a similar sized dlp that was in the same spot so I dont get it.

Has anyone found a solution?

would a professional Calibration alleviate the situation?

Interesting. I actually convinced myself that Plasma's gave me headaches while watching them in a store. Well, I bought one anyway and I never once have gotten one. Go figure

·
Registered
461 Posts
For some reason this always seems Counter-intuitive to me.

You buy a big screen tv but have to sit further away from it, which makes the size of the tv in your viewing range smaller.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita /forum/post/15572709

You buy a big screen tv but have to sit further away from it, which makes the size of the tv in your viewing range smaller.

A lot of us don't sit farther back when we upgrade. I sit 6-8 feet from a 42 inch right now, and I am looking at 58inch sets right now. (I decided that a 50inch set was too small of an upgrade in size) I won't be sitting any farther back either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am in a similar situation in that I got a 43 inch Pio elite in 2004 and thought it was the perfect size. For the last year I have been looking at a 60 inch, but everytime I see one in the store with fast motion it is unsettling. I am at 10.5 feet max . I am probably going with a 50.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita /forum/post/15572709

You're right. There are THX & SMPTE standards for proper home theater viewing distances, and recommendations of just how far you can sit from a particular 1080p display and still be able to resolve the detail of the pic. Otherwise, why bother w/HD at all? I guess that "postage stamp" viewing might be adequate for the evening news, but for movies and HD content shows I'd much prefer the SMPTE standards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I first got my th-42px80u a few weeks back I was getting a headache. I then turned down the pixel orbiter from automatic to force 1. From what I read the automatic constantly shifts the image slightly. With it on force 1 it shifts the image every 1 minute. This may help or not. Or maybe I just got use to the picture.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Our friends have a 58" Panasonic rear projection with the couch like 8 feet from the set. It's great, but the first time I saw it they were playing Cars for the kids and it had just started. I was feeling a bit of motion sickness/eye strain during the race at the beginning too.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavsf /forum/post/15569038

ramazur---I agree with lots your saying. It's a combination of things. The picture is fuzzy. Not sure if that's how SD channels are in general. Some are a bit clearer but most are fuzzy causing eye strain. The fast motion pans of the camera is another thing. Even a simple change in focus from one object to another on this bigger set is amplified. I have brightness and contrast settings down to about 50% for break-in so I don't think that's it. Second day with it and it's not as bad but still there. The fuzzy-ness of the picture is bothering me though. Perhaps that what CNET refers to when they say certain sets do SD better then others and some don't do it well at all. It may not be bad for an HDTV but it's new to me and maybe something I need to get used to. I have upconverting dvd player and movies don't really blow me away with their clarity even adjusting settings to try and make it better. I don' know...keep playing.

In my opinion I don't think any HD sets really do SD well. Now older RPCRT sets that could natively scan 480p were great for that.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The perfect set-up will never be attained but we can get reasonably close to it. Here is mine:

1. The source is an all-digital Comcast box. This eliminates all the crappy analog channels and the fuzziness that comes with it. The SD channels, as long as they are digital, look anywhere from just fine to actually very good.

2. The set is LN46A630. No glare, high contrast, deep blacks day and night and low judder thanks to AMP. Those still shopping should ignore the comments like "AMP makes me sick", "soap opera effect", etc until you try it. The complainers probably get sick of many other things normal people don't like elevator and plane rides. I set it to medium and it works without any artifacts. If there are any I don't see them.

3. The distance is 8 feet or 2 times the diagonal. It is on the short end of the recommended distance but thanks to the very effective frame interpolation (thanks, Samsung) the judder, the single most annoying aspect of TV watching, is reduced to a neglegible level.

4. Up-down set elevation is at the eye level. Hanging a set over a fireplace is asking for trouble as in most real-life situations we tend to look straight ahead or down. Looking up is a pain in the neck, literally and figuratively.

5. I never watch in a dark room.

6. I avoid watching laying down.

7. I refuse to watch soft-lens programs like those they used to do with B. Walters. With the HD network programming, the public would be too outraged so these abominations are seen less often.

8. I never ever watch "shaky hand camera" and other forms of assault on my nervous system. Don't buy into the notion that you are obligated to suffer a headache because it was a "director's intent". The program or a film will be shown on my TV set according to the person in charge and that is me.

9. I try to avoid SD channels and the HD channels that show a lot of 4:3 material. I realize that my individual action is not known to anyone but together we can make a difference. You can bet that the network fat cats do read the Nielsen reports.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavsf /forum/post/15556499

After reading the 720p/1080p thread posted here I ended up getting a 720p, 50 " plasma. After watching it for only 30-40 minutes at 11' I started to feel an eye strain type of headache/motion sickness coming on. I get this same thing after playing CoD4 for long periods on my 16" pc CRT. So I hit the web to find anything on eye strain/large TV's. Found this about distance from the Canadian Association of Optometrists. They recommend a seating distance of 5x screen width, WOW! That's almost 18' for a 50" screen(screen width of 43+"). I'd have to sit outside, look in through the window and it's way too cold.

http://tv.about.com/od/frequentlyask...ngdistance.htm

The 720p/1080p thread says 117" which is 9'-3/4", approx. I think for those that may be prone to eye strain/motion sickness, due to your eyes having to dart around the screen to follow action, a further distance may be required.

Set is much bigger home then in store. Bummer...

Have you done any calibration to the set to help optimize the picture? In the plasma section look in the owners threads for some recommended settings. If you're using the settings out of the box that could be your biggest problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts