AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally confused with how best to set up my system, I currently have a Barco 800 onto 4:3 screen 6FT wide. I have two settings for my HTPC which are 720x480 for NTSC & 720x560 for PAL and I leave Zoom Player to select the aspect ratio from source. Is the correct way to setup my system at the moment ?

Also Blight has now added auto AR to Zoom Player do I need to use this feature and if so how or should I just leave my setting as they are.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
720x480 as you know is the native resolution of dvd's. So, a properly authored dvd in 16:9 or 1.78 aspect ratio fits this exactly. No lines are used for black bars. On a standard 4:3 tv they are added by the DVD player. Anyway, this tells you that the pixels on a dvd arent square like in windows (720/480 = 1.5, not 1.78). So, you have to squish the output from you're PJ so that it's 16:9 projected to the screen. Your windows desktop will be slightly distorted because it has square pixels. You have to tell your player not to maintain aspect ratio and everything will look great.

Does this help?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.