AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is really off topic but I am so stoked about it I couldn't help myself. I made a deal with a local Dodge dealership today to have first option on this when it comes out next year. The dealership I am working with is expecting to only be able to order one.

http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/challenger/index.htm

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Yep you couldn't be more off topic could you?

It looks more like a customized real classic show car than a redone new vehicle. Like a Chip Foose design as in the Foose 69 : http://www.chipfoose.com/gallery.aspx?LinkID=tn7

It's cool, don't get me wrong, but it's a Dodge.

When I think of Dodge I think of Al Bundy.

Gas will be $5.00 a gallon or more soon you know.

Go Bundy!

Troy

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Dude, for your sake, I hope they improved it over the original - I had one. Can you say Dodge Dart? Bigger engine, cooler body....uh - that was it.
But it looks cool, if it works for ya..I traded mine for a goat. But I wouldn't want a reissue goat either.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Prometheusbound,

I think that looks absolutely fantastic! Congratulations to you BTW.

I have always thought that the styling of cars peaked in the 60's and early 70's. Back then you could see the difference between a Dodge, Ford or Chevy and the cars actually looked nice.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse /forum/post/0

Prometheusbound,

I think that looks absolutely fantastic! Congratulations to you BTW.

I have always thought that the styling of cars peaked in the 60's and early 70's. Back then you could see the difference between a Dodge, Ford or Chevy and the cars actually looked nice.

Thanks Bob!

From what I understand Chevy is going to have a retro Camaro in 2009.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have seen the new Camaro, it looks like a Dodge front end and the rest Mustang. They are supposed to come out with the retro VW Bus too.

Deron.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Everything works on that car but the rear end. It nees a short wing like the option on the original or a trunk lip spoiler.

Funny how Chrysler did a bit of back peddling after the cold reception people gave the Charger for looking like an intrepid breaded with a Dakota and a crew cab at that. When I saw the four door Charger at the 2005 autoshow all I could say was Man...it has 4 doors. Jeeze.. this has 4 doors. The guy at the show said "It has a HEMI!" I said yeah but it has 4 doors! What's the point?

Then out comes the Challenger and all is right again.

Congratulations on the first buy option. I bet you can't wait.

---------------------------------------------------------

MoPar or no car baby!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
You do know Peak Oil is coming? Sometime between now and 2020ish the S will really HTF.

Every gallon you guzzle now is stolen from your children...when they'll really, really need it.

So, can you get an electric version?

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Hehe,

I used to love old Mopars. Now, it's pj's. But,.. I can still enjoy other peoples neato cars and that does look nice.

Personally,.. It's all Honda for me these days and I'll never buy an american car again if I'm lucky. Japan is taking over my life with the cars and the pj and the ps3 and SACD player and....

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema /forum/post/0

Yep you couldn't be more off topic could you?

Troy

Not true!

It's got projector headlights
Perhaps this thread belongs in the >$20k Digitals forum! (Altho, the inboard headlights DO look like they may be liquid coupled
)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/0

You do know Peak Oil is coming? Sometime between now and 2020ish the S will really HTF.

Every gallon you guzzle now is stolen from your children...when they'll really, really need it.

So, can you get an electric version?

I'm pretty sure the windows are electric.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogRocks /forum/post/0

Everything works on that car but the rear end. It nees a short wing like the option on the original or a trunk lip spoiler.

Funny how Chrysler did a bit of back peddling after the cold reception people gave the Charger for looking like an intrepid breaded with a Dakota and a crew cab at that. When I saw the four door Charger at the 2005 autoshow all I could say was Man...it has 4 doors. Jeeze.. this has 4 doors. The guy at the show said "It has a HEMI!" I said yeah but it has 4 doors! What's the point?

Then out comes the Challenger and all is right again.

Congratulations on the first buy option. I bet you can't wait.

---------------------------------------------------------

MoPar or no car baby!

I totally agree. When I saw the new Charger I thought "You've got to be kidding me. What a joke." The 4 - door only policy really cost them sales, I think. They must have known that most of the Mopar Muscle car fans were going to hate it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton /forum/post/0

Hehe,

I used to love old Mopars. Now, it's pj's. But,.. I can still enjoy other peoples neato cars and that does look nice.

Personally,.. It's all Honda for me these days and I'll never buy an american car again if I'm lucky. Japan is taking over my life with the cars and the pj and the ps3 and SACD player and....

I have always had a thing for musclecar Mopars. I also have always had a thing for technology. These retro cars being built by the big three give guys like me a chance to own something that has the external styling of the 60 era combined with the technology of the 21st century. What I'm talking about mostly concerning technology is saftey. These cars are built better than there predecessors. Airbags, safety belts, crush points, modern vehicles are just better. My 67 dart vert has a lap belt but thats it. No shoulder harness, no crush points, and the seat back does not lock in the up position. On the passenger side the dash is metal. While I love this car it actually scares me to drive it. It's just not safe.

All that being said, my daily driver is a Prius!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton /forum/post/0

Hehe,

for me its Toyota - better hybrids, and local Honda dealer is the worst. (Had 3 Hondas, til management changed.) Won't trade the Miata tho - really don't miss the Challenger, GTO, or Firebird that much - would have to add any two together to get the same mileage numbers, not to mention fun.

I do run American Iron for my preamp and power amp, not to mention speakers.
(Hafler, Maggies, and Mesa)

Prometheus - when you go on a road trip, swing by - wouldn't mind seeing a new muscle car. Really wasn't impressed by either the Charger or the new Holden GTO - would like to see one done right.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I have a nicely restored Lime Green 72 Challenger in the garage, drove it once or twice in 06. I saw the new charger Hemi Daytona at a Costco, thoguht it was a beautiful car, don't know why people are so bothered by that little half-door in the back?

What did bug me me was the build sheet, chassis built in Canada (a good thing quality wise), 5-speed tranny from Germany (ditto), but the Hemi engine was made in MEXICO , WTF?
So much for the classic Amercian Muscle car huh? The new challeneger is beautiful but with 7 Billion people in the world all fighting for what oil is left I just don't see a place for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If ya'll really believe all that politicians gum flapping about oil, then go corn gas or bio diesel. Then the farmers of the Midwest could power the nation. If you don't want to do that then I don't really want to here another word about oil or hybrids. The politicians are full of crap and I'll bet my kids future that there is more than enough oil to power all the billions of people well into the next ice age. I don't understand how 700 pounds of lead acid batteries are environmentally friendly not to mention that manufacturing that goes into that sort of mess.

I have a 1986 Dodge omni that never ever for any reason gets less than 35 mpg. And thanks to its lightly modified 2.5 L engine and turbo will consistently run mid 12's at 110 mph or better. With some calibration work it has got way better than 40 mpg. Oh and don't forget it is all very 80's tech with SOHC engine designed in the late 70's.

Those VW desiels can crank out some pretty impressive MPG and power numbers but the tree huggers always seem to miss these. Those little things have been getting better than 50 mpg on veggie oil since the 80s

Its snowing in California..... and I'll bet if AL Gore would shut his fat mouth and all its hot air this global warming wouldn't be such a problem. Since none of the brilliant (j/k) minds can figure out what caused the last 6 ice ages to freeze and then thaw. Or why the hottest years on current record happened in the 1930's

GET THE CHALLENGER AND I'LL SEE YA AT THE TRACK.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
ronholm,

I still have the tool for changing the hydrolic valve lifters on my old Omni (worked on a few FrontWD chargers and a shadow I had too.) I don't suppose I still need it, then again.. I bet you already have one.

My (84?) Omni was $450 at a surplus sale and lasted quite a long time.

My Duster was a 74' slant six and was $200 and my favorite car of all time and the best car ever but I total-ed head on with a tree on a poorly lit street early one morning and nearly killed myself in the process. What a bummer. (My wife thinks I'll still restore a 74 duster some day when I'm older because it's the car we dated in as teens but then... she hasn't seen the prices lately.
)

I can certainly relate to the love of Mopar but love of VPH suits me much better now.

-Brian

p.s. I still get a little kick out of the fact that my 2 Hondas are HEMI's.

(That is to say, they use hemispherical induction for top performance.)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
One thing the bigger heavy cars had going for them was mass, run into something and it will not come to a dead stop as fast a lighter car. Then of course it's more likely to hold it's shape, not turning into a unrecognizable (after a crash) knees to your chest econmy car.

Just heard that the cost of corn tortilla's has gone through the roof, this has really impacted a large population in the south that relies on corn and beans as a staple for their diet. When you only have $4.00 a day to spend on survival and the greedy ******'s are turning corn into something to burn in their cars, it's just not right! At least when you burn oil you are not taking food out of people's mouths.

Deron.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I can't wait for this car to come out. Not sure if I want Purple Plum or Orange. wow.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.