AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I hear well to 17.5kHz then after that it needs to be loud, close, or both.

I have four Vifa XT25TG30 1" Ring Radiator tweets off a Kicker SX500.2 with the SX crossover set to 13.7kHz 36dB/oct slope and my Alpine PXA-H701 crossover set to 14kHz at 30dB/oct slope and it seems quiet. It sounds beautiful, lower than 12-14kHz I dont care for very much. But for 4 tweeters that are made to be super loud from 1.5KHz-40kHz and handle 200 watts each, and only being forced to play such a narrow bandwidth, they aren't loud at all and can't keep up with a pair of CSS FR125S 4.5" full rangers covering 710Hz-14kHz off a Kicker KX650.4 bridged and four Adire Audio Extremis 6.4's off a pair of Kicker KX850.4's each bridged on 2 pait covering 71Hz-710Hz.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Impressive. My cousin is an audiologist. She has access to an "almost" anechoic chamber too. I should see if they have the ability to reproduce tones in that area and go see. I have always been interested in my hearing range.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i recently played around with test tones and i can hear to over 20.5khz

im 26 and have taken care of my ears.

Matt

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My hearing goes from 16Hz to tinnitus

I used to be able to hear to 18kHz as a kid. Today at age 37, the upper limit is about 17kHz when the T word isn't messing with me. Then again, the only good tweeters around here are the ribbons in the home theater, which I have yet to test my ears with. I'm probably not even getting 18kHz out of these things.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/19628607

I'm at about 14khz.... I use to be able to hear the whine of a CRT TV when I was 12 years old.....

Those days are over....

Yeah. I've always been sensitive to the CRT screech which is centered between 15-16khz. I can hear it across a whole house when one is on. Don't have that going on anymore now that the last crt tv was replaced with a 42" plasma in my bedroom.
It's awesome.

I'd say I must be able to hear at least that high up still if I can hear that stuff.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa /forum/post/19629038

Studies have concluded that women are able to hear higher frequencies than men. In general.

I hear women do a lotta things we cant. why is that?

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My cheap incandescent bulbs ring when the dimmer is used in my kitchen, like right now !! Drives me nuts. One of the other girls in the break room can't hear above 8khz...eek

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I can hear down to 16Hz but my upper limit is around 16kHz with tinnitus.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/19628821

"My hearing goes from 16Hz to tinnitus"

tinnitus is not a condition of balance. bring your body back into balance and the tinnitus will be minimized or cured.

Unless the tinnitus is caused by getting blowed up, as was my case.
Decent amount of ringing and I have a nice dip from 14-16khz. For a few years afterwards I tried the homeopathic thing and it made no difference. I just live with it now and be thankful I have enough hearing left to enjoy movies and music at all.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My tinnitus was caused by a nurse cleaning my ears out just over a year ago. It's better than it used to be - for a long time I had a loud low frequency rumble in the left ear along with the high pitched squeal. It used to distort any bass I heard, and I had to push the LFE especially hard during movies to overwhelm it.

It's slowly been getting better. Much progress has been made thanks to tinnitus masking software and a good pair of in ear monitors. Also, when I found out that the artificial sweeteners in diet soda were making it worse, I went back to the sugary stuff.

Otherwise, I'm in pretty good health. Used to be 320 pounds of fat, now at 250. For a six and a half footer, that's not a bad number. I eat much better than I used to, and drink mostly water.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertblaster72 /forum/post/19630812

For a few years afterwards I tried the homeopathic thing and it made no difference.

This is an issue of mine, as I have an ongoing argument with several people throughout the years who put faith in the homeo jar.

Homeopathic remedies are quack snake oil products which are nothing more than highly diluted placebos. It's like cooking a large pot of tomato soup containing only one small whole tomato, and a bunch of water. Then scooping the tomato out, and serving just the water in teaspoon servings, while saying it is the same as eating the whole tomato by itself.

Homeopathic is not a catch all term. LTDs missing post would be not be homeopathic, it is more in the holistic treatment vein.

·
Registered
982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho54 /forum/post/19631391

This is an issue of mine, as I have an ongoing argument with several people throughout the years who put faith in the homeo jar.

Homeopathic remedies are quack snake oil products which are nothing more than highly diluted placebos. It's like cooking a large pot of tomato soup containing only one small whole tomato, and a bunch of water. Then scooping the tomato out, and serving just the water in teaspoon servings, while saying it is the same as eating the whole tomato by itself.

Homeopathic is not a catch all term. LTDs missing post would be not be homeopathic, it is more in the holistic treatment vein.

You should hear some of the discussions I have with my fiancee about this stuff.. She is a raw foodist, homeopath loving, fairy believing hippy. I am a scientist and believer in double blind studies.. lol thank god we love each other but man, sometimes some of the stuff she says about health just makes me do a quadruple take (double takes stopped being effective a while ago).

Matt

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"LTDs missing post would be not be homeopathic, it is more in the holistic treatment vein."

soho, on second thought, it seemed too far off topic for avs, so i killed it.

holistic is right on. create a balance in the system and it is amazing how the body can heal itself. the natural state of the human body is healthy and it strives to correct/heal itself incredible ways. in my estimation, all illness is a result of an imbalance.

to tie it back to the op, i don't buy either that age related hearing loss is a fact or that one must live with tinnitus.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was playing around with headphones and very low level tone bursts, I can hear much higher that way.

I think I even heard 17khz...... 18khz is out totally though

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
I actually had my hearing tested at my work about a month ago (have to do it once a year) and I scored 5's and 10's out of 100 in the frequency range that they tested in. Hearing everything at 5 would indicate perfect hearing and very slight hearing loss starts at 25. From all the loud crap I do every day at work, plus shooting, plus HT and audio in general, ?i'm almost dumbfounded by how I'm not half deaf by now lol

Also I can't even be in a room with a CRt tv as the noise will make me insane within minutes lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts