AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi,

So I've had these for a while and have always enjoyed the clarity of these speakers. I use them in my home recording studio, Recently I was recording a vocal with a very sensitive mic and before muting the recording channel I flipped on the speakers to some screaming feedback. After words I realized the tweeters had blown...

I contacted Totem who directed me to a dealer to see about buying some replacement tweeters, turns out the new tweeters will cost about $270 a piece. So over $550 for the parts.

Considering I purchased the speakers lightly used for around $800, I'm not loving the idea of sinking another $500 into them, In fact I was considering selling the speakers, don't get me wrong they are lovely sounding and looking but I have other monitors that I use as well.

My options seem to be:

1. invest the $500..then turn around and sell them for $700-$800.

2.Find a third party tweeter that costs less and either keep them or sell them..although with a different tweeter I'm not sure what the resale value would be. (any suggestions on a possible replacement? 

3.Sell the speakers as is and try and get $300-$500 for the pair.

I would love some thoughts and suggestions from you guys. 

Thanks,

Jacob

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I can't imagine getting the prices you seek so I would recommend replacing the tweeters and moving on or selling them as they are for whatever you can get (not much in my view.) Using another model of tweeter is not an option. The crossover network was designed to work with the original tweeter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, Kind of a bummer. I just don't want to invest a lot more money in these, feel like I have to cut my loses.

What do you reckon they'd sell for as is? 

They are in great shape otherwise with a beautiful natural wood finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts