AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Recent auditioned (in my house) and really loved some Totem Arro speakers. I am thinking about putting together the following HT system:

Arro (Main L/R)

Dreamcatcher Center

Dreamcatcher (Surround R/L)

Exisiting PSB Sub

Anybody using a system like this in their HT? Any comments on this proposed system?

Thank in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few follow-up questions:

(1) My home theater room (i.e. family room) is 17x17. The TV/Speaker wall is a partial wall (about 102 inch wide), and the family room opens up to the kitchen. My proposed system is often suggested for smaller rooms. I don't tend to listen to music/movies at high volumes, but will this system be up to the task?

(2) Any suggested amplification/connects/speak wire suggestions? I'm interested in all opinions, but I'd be especially interested in folks who either own these speakers- or who work with them.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15544171

Greetings,

Recent auditioned (in my house) and really loved some Totem Arro speakers. I am thinking about putting together the following HT system:

Arro (Main L/R)

Dreamcatcher Center

Dreamcatcher (Surround R/L)

Exisiting PSB Sub

Anybody using a system like this in their HT? Any comments on this proposed system?

Thank in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15546792

I don't tend to listen to music/movies at high volumes, but will this system be up to the task?

If this is the case, you should be fine. I think this is where the Arros shine - listening at low to mid level volumes. If you use the search function there are a few threads already on the Totem Arros.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC /forum/post/15546942

If this is the case, you should be fine. I think this is where the Arros shine - listening at low to mid level volumes. If you use the search function there are a few threads already on the Totem Arros.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Let us know how it works out for you.

I purchased a pair of Arros for my father recently and was very impressed by the sound. However, they did seem a bit lean on the low end, so you definitely would need a good sub for HT use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have that exact Totem set. That is, a pair of Arro speakers and the Dreamcatcher set. I am using an SVS subwoofer and a Denon 5800 AVR.

I really like these speakers. I, however, am considering moving from VA to CO and my theater equipment will convey. Accordingly, I am researching speakers. When I purchased my Dreamcatcher set, I paid about $1900. I got my Arro speakers on ebay for $800. Given that price point, I think the set is excellent. It seems that Totem has raised the prices on their speakers. Because of the new higher prices, I will most likely not repurchase the set for my next home theater. So while I really like the set, I hope (albeit may be unrealistic hope) there is something better for the higher price. I haven't auditioned any speakers and might, in the end, repurchase the Totem set.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. What electronics, cables and speaker wire is he using? Is he happy with his Arro's? Did he help pick them? What kind of music does he listen to? How are they positioned in the room? Is he using them just for stereo listening.. or also HT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear /forum/post/15560029

Let us know how it works out for you.

I purchased a pair of Arros for my father recently and was very impressed by the sound. However, they did seem a bit lean on the low end, so you definitely would need a good sub for HT use.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. Especiall good to hear from somebody who has the same setup.

I was a little confused by your post. Why are you considering replacing your system? Is there something that you are not happy with? Something you are hoping to improve? Did you sell them? Did the system work well for both HT and stereo listening? Mind sharing some details on connectors/speaker wire and setup?

Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM.D /forum/post/15560909

I have that exact Totem set. That is, a pair of Arro speakers and the Dreamcatcher set. I am using an SVS subwoofer and a Denon 5800 AVR.

I really like these speakers. I, however, am considering moving from VA to CO and my theater equipment will convey. Accordingly, I am researching speakers. When I purchased my Dreamcatcher set, I paid about $1900. I got my Arro speakers on ebay for $800. Given that price point, I think the set is excellent. It seems that Totem has raised the prices on their speakers. Because of the new higher prices, I will most likely not repurchase the set for my next home theater. So while I really like the set, I hope (albeit may be unrealistic hope) there is something better for the higher price. I haven't auditioned any speakers and might, in the end, repurchase the Totem set.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have Arros, Dreamcatcher center, in-ceiling Speakercraft rears, and a Rhythmik sub. Could not be happier for music and home theater

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply. How long have you had your system? Buy new or used? How did you choose in ceiling rears vs front firing or dipoles? How large is your room? Any reason you did not go with a Totem sub to match finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof /forum/post/15573609

I have Arros, Dreamcatcher center, in-ceiling Speakercraft rears, and a Rhythmik sub. Could not be happier for music and home theater

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15570642

Thanks for the reply. What electronics, cables and speaker wire is he using? Is he happy with his Arro's? Did he help pick them? What kind of music does he listen to? How are they positioned in the room? Is he using them just for stereo listening.. or also HT?

My father is very happy with the Arros.

He's greatly simplified his system now that he's retired and on a fixed income. So, he just has the Arros, driven by a ML-9 & ML-10A setup (left over from his former system). He's only listening to LPs and CDs (classical and jazz).

The speakers are on either side of the TV, but only hooked up to his 2-channel system. For the short distance, his generic 18 gauge speaker wire seems more than adequate.

Interestingly enough, I bought them for him, even though he had never listened to them. His requirements were "nice sound", "small" floor standers, less than $1K, no electrostatics, and my mother wanted something that looked "nice". The Arros seemed like the perfect fit, and I found a nice set on AG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Headshrinker2

Sorry for any confusion with my previous message.

To clarify, if I sell my house in Virginia, the Totem speaker set and other home theater equipment will convey with the house. Given that I would have to pay about $1000 more to repurchase the exact speaker set, I especially don't want the Totem speakers to convey. Unfortunately for me the Virginia housing market is not well. I've been told conveyance of the equipment would help sell the house.

I think the pair of Arro speakers is excellent for music and the entire Totem set is excellent for movies. Now remember, I paid $800 for my pair of Arro speaker and about $1900 for my Dreamcatcher set. Although, I would like the same Totem speakers in my next home theater, paying $1000 more than I originally paid is just hard to swallow.

If I don't sell my house or I get away with selling without conveying the speakers, I will keep the set, move them to Colorado and be very happy I did. I like these speakers. I never heard a better speaker set for the price.

Regarding improvements, I really can't criticize the Totems. To me they are excellent speakers. Everything I need and more. Besides, it seems like cost always gets in the way and I am not willing to pay more for improvements.

I believe the speaker wire was bought from Monoprice.com and I am not using any connectors. I bought the in-wall speaker wire and ran the wire directly from the AVR to the speakers. No connectors were needed. Again, I am using a Denon 5800 AVR, a Denon DVD player and a SVS subwoofer. My home theater dimensions are 19 ft by 17 ft.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15573737

Thanks for the reply. How long have you had your system? Buy new or used? How did you choose in ceiling rears vs front firing or dipoles? How large is your room? Any reason you did not go with a Totem sub to match finish?

I have had my system for almost 4 years and bought new. My room layout dictated that front firing or dipoles would not work. There is simply no-where to mount them, and I did not want speakers hanging from the ceiling. It is located in a nice great room with modern lines...in-ceilings were really the only option.

I felt that the Totem sub did not offer the value that the Rhythmic did. The Rhythmic was added only recently and it greatly enhanced the sound. It pretty much crushes Totems' sub for the money. It is not very important sound wise to match the speakers and the sub.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everyone,

I am still thinking of Totem speakers for my HT, but I am considering another option and would appreciate your opinion.

(1) Arro Main L/R, DreamCatcher Center, DreamCatcher Surrounds... or

(2) Rainmaker Main L/R, Rainmaker Center, DreamCatcher Surrounds

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15628347

Hi everyone,

I am still thinking of Totem speakers for my HT, but I am considering another option and would appreciate your opinion.

(1) Arro Main L/R, DreamCatcher Center, DreamCatcher Surrounds... or

(2) Rainmaker Main L/R, Rainmaker Center, DreamCatcher Surrounds

Thoughts?

Because I love football - I love match ups.

For example:

Offense - Cardinals Win

Defense - Steelers Win

QB - Cardinals Win

RB - Steelers Win

etc.

So to "football" compare the two systems (1) versus (2), here's how I'd break it down.

L/R - TIE

Center - (2) Wins

Surrounds - TIE

Price - (1) Wins

System 2 might be a better system, but you're going to have to pay extra for it. I'm assuming you're looking for new speakers because I just checked the link I sent you and most of the stuff in your list is sold - unless you bought it?

PS: Not sure how LOUD you like it, but I like my music REALLY LOUD. Your room is about 1,000 cubic ft smaller than mine, so you should be OK. But just so you know, I auditioned the Rainmakers in a room similar in size as mine (~3,500 cu ft), and the rainmaker center started to bottom out during loud passages. I wouldn't even imagine pushing the dreamcatchers that hard. Probably would have blown 'em up.

So if you like your music and movies on the quiet side, save the dough and get the first system.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In theory system 2 would be better for Home Theater as you'd have matching drivers across your front sound stage. Your 2 channel listening could suffer (I use that loosely) if you prefer the Arro's for 2 channel listening though and your now settling for the RainMaker.

- Jon

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You crack me up. Love the football comparisons. Actually, me (and my family) do not tend to be loud listeners for either music or movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater /forum/post/15633003

Because I love football - I love match ups.

For example:

Offense - Cardinals Win

Defense - Steelers Win

QB - Cardinals Win

RB - Steelers Win

etc.

So to "football" compare the two systems (1) versus (2), here's how I'd break it down.

L/R - TIE

Center - (2) Wins

Surrounds - TIE

Price - (1) Wins

System 2 might be a better system, but you're going to have to pay extra for it. I'm assuming you're looking for new speakers because I just checked the link I sent you and most of the stuff in your list is sold - unless you bought it?

PS: Not sure how LOUD you like it, but I like my music REALLY LOUD. Your room is about 1,000 cubic ft smaller than mine, so you should be OK. But just so you know, I auditioned the Rainmakers in a room similar in size as mine (~3,500 cu ft), and the rainmaker center started to bottom out during loud passages. I wouldn't even imagine pushing the dreamcatchers that hard. Probably would have blown 'em up.

So if you like your music and movies on the quiet side, save the dough and get the first system.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I'd say in order of priority for me...

(1) Quality 2-channel listening that faithfully reproduces the music reasonably

(2) An involving and enveloping HT setup that performs well without drawing too much attention to itself.

I'm going to spend some time listening to the Rainmakers. If they are satisfying in 2-channel, then having the matching drivers across the front sound stage will definitely be the next step. I've also learned that the Rainmaker center channel is a superior speaker to the DreamCatcher center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunprophet /forum/post/15633116

In theory system 2 would be better for Home Theater as you'd have matching drivers across your front sound stage. Your 2 channel listening could suffer (I use that loosely) if you prefer the Arro's for 2 channel listening though and your now settling for the RainMaker.

- Jon

1 - 20 of 57 Posts