Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm going to be installing my baseboard and chair-rail next week in my theater. I'm using the 1" furring strips covered with GOM. I've already stained and put 2 coats of poly on the trim. What I've done in the past when trimming out doors or windows is to prefinish the trim as I have and then install it with masking paper behind it. I then fill the nails holes and put on another 2 coats of poly. I then come back with a knife and trim off the masking paper. The question I have is can I use the same technique with the GOM behind the trim and not drywall. I can't see how this would work, because I'm taking a terrible risk of cutting the GOM. Should I just mask off the GOM with masking tape? The poly could seep between the tape and trim and get unto the GOM also. I suppose I could just put some putty in the nail holes, but I'm afraid with out the poly over the top it would eventually fall out. Any thoughts or comments on what you did would be appreciated.

DougK

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,597 Posts
Here are some ideas.

I would seem to me that your method of putting two coats of poly on before installing the trim does a good job of finishing so that when you go back and touch up it may not be necessary to finish all edges. For instance on baseboards there is the flat surface and the curved (or angled) section on top. Just do your nailing on the flat portion and touch up as required. add a coat to just the flat section. It's not necessary to hit all the sections in the case of base molding leave the top edge section alone..

Same thing with chair molding. Just touch up the nail areas and feather the finish touch ups. You don't need to hit the very top or bottom edge. Use a small brush go slow and you could do it without any taping at all if you are reasonable careful. I really like the new minwax wipe on poly. it puts done a really thin coat. Just take a old t-shirt and wrap a piece around a gloved finger. You can touch up spots and when it dries you shouldn't be able to tell.

Practice with a piece of scrap molding and the finishes you like to use or try the wipe on's. See if you can just do touch up with a feather technique and see what happens when it dries.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.