AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I originally planned to use a Zalman HD160 case for my HTPC, but after I ordered it, I was told that not only was it backordered, but that the site I ordered it from could no longer supply it period. I've since found other sites to buy it from, but started thinking about whether or not I'd like to go the touchscreen route.

Does MythTV have some sort of touchscreen compatibility? Has anybody gotten a touchscreen case to work in Linux?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don't have a touchscreen case, but I have used a touchscreen in Linux, and it does work well. It basically acts just like a mouse, so it can be used with any application that supports a mouse. The Zalman cases use one of two possible touchscreens: DigiTouch or eGalax. If the model number of the Zalman case is HD160XTS0, HD160XTSA, HD160XTB0, or HD160XTBA, it uses the DigiTouch touchscreen. I can't find much information on it, so it most likely doesn't work in Linux. Zalman cases with model number HD160XTSB or HD160XTBB use the eGalax touchscreen, which does work in Linux.

Info on eGalax in Linux: http://tzilla.is-a-geek.com/articles/egalax/

I don't think there are any plugins for MythTV for a special interface for touchscreens, so at best you will get just a mirror of the main Myth app. I think the best use for a touchscreen is for something like a standalone visualizer, weather app, or audio player.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the info greeniguana!

Yeah, the main reason I'm considering a touchscreen is to play music without having to turn the TV on and then navigate my music collection with a remote control or have to bust out the mouse/kb.

I have a standalone 7" Lilliput touchscreen I had originally intended for a carputer project that never really got off the ground. I may save myself a few hundred $$$ on the case and try to get that working, but wanted to check to see if an in-case screen would be possible as I'd rather go that route (sleeker).

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts