·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I'd look to ebay first.

brickie

·
Registered
401 Posts
what type of display....crt monitor, flat panel monitor, tablet pc? Also, 12" might be a stretch if you are looking for a flat panel. Most I've seen are 10.4".

Viewsonic makes some nice flat panels (Airpanel). Some of their older ones are basically wireless touchscreen monitors. Elo is also a common one you'll find used in a lot of retail stores.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I have a Viewsonic 15" V150P with an extra battery, dock and keyboard for sale. I will also include my copy of Cinemar's suite of Mainlobby, DVDLobby, Weatherlobby and Weblobby.

PM or email me emillika at yahoo.com for details.

·
Registered
26 Posts
MaximAvs,

The touchscreens on the magictouch website go for $500-700 for flat panel LCD's. Would these work for home automation use? i.e: with Elan or Crestron systems. Because if they do, it would be consideraly less expensive than buying the Elan or Crestron touchscreens. I am guessing there must be some reason they cant be used, since I have not read any mention of doing so in any threads.

Jay.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Jay...

To bo honest, I'm not sure what they are capable of. I was looking for a touch screen a while back and had bookmarked that site, and then passed it along to you. If you notice, part of their line is an "overlay" for a regular LCD or CRT monitor to turn it into a touch screen! It is much cheaper ($150+/-). I thought that might be solution as well.

I believe the touch screens for sale at MagicTouch, are just that, a touch screen. There is software for running the touch screen, but I don't believe there is any other backend to them. If you want to do a whole house controller, you would have to find software for that, anf that's where Elan or Crestron would come in.

-Sean

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
How would you display the Crestron or Elan system on the LCD? How would you translate the touches into the proper signal?

For Elan, it would be possible to put the Via!PC software on a remote computer and use one of the Viewsonic smart panels to remote desktop into the computer or install a tablet PC with Via!PC on it. However, you would have to figure out how to get power to it, how to install it nicely in a wall (?), you would only have limited control of the system itself and not be able to control your source equipment, etc. It is much easier just to buy the panel you need.

CJ

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I am also looking for a touchscreen LCD monitor, somewhere in the 17" to 19" range for use as a jukebox in my game room. Does anyone know of any good jukebox software that works with a touchscreen?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Keep an eye on the Dell outlet.

Last week they had the 15" E153FPT priced at $248 now $348
http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher...ry=MO&tgtSeg=B

Here are the spec's
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=320-4088

User's guide

Diagonal Size: 15"

Display Type: Flat panel display/TFT active matrix - desktop

Depth: 5.31"

Height: 13.87"

Weight: With Stand: 9 lbs, Without Stand: 6.2 lbs

Width: 13.54"

Image Max H-View Angle: 120°

Image Max V-View Angle: 100°

Analog Video Format: RGB

Compliant Standards: 100 mm VESA®

Connectivity Technology: USB for touch sensor, VGA for analog video

Device Type: Flat Panel Monitor

Dimensions (WxDxH): 13.54" x 5.31" x 13.87"

Dot Pitch: 0.297 mm

Enclosure Color: Midnight Gray

Environmental Parameters: Temperature:- Operating: 41°F to 95°F, Storage: -4°F to 140°F; Humidity:- Operating: 10% to 80% (non-condensing), Storage: 5% to 90% (non-condensing); Altitude:- Operating: Up to 12,000 ft, Non-operating: Up to 40,000 ft

Factory Preset Resolution Modes: 720x400 pixels @ 70.1 Hz, 640x480 pixels @ 59.9 Hz, 640x480 pixels @ 75 Hz, 800x600 pixels @ 60.3 Hz, 800x600 pixels @ 75 Hz, 1024x768 pixels @ 60 Hz, 1024x768 pixels @ 75 Hz

Image Brightness: 208 cd/m2 (typical)

Image Contrast Ratio: 400:1 (typical)

Lamp Type: CCFL (2)

Max Operating Temperature: 95°F

Max Resolution: 1024x768 pixels at 75 Hz

Max Sync Rate (V x H): 76 Hz x 63 kHz

Min Operating Temperature: 41°F

Port(s) Total ( Free ) / Connector Type: 15-pin D-subminiature (blue)

Power: 100 to 240 VAC / 50 to 60 Hz

Technology: 5-wire Analog Resistive Touch Technology

Humidity Range Operating: 10% to 80% (non-condensing)

Diagonal Size / Viewable Size: 15" / 15"

Compatibility: PC

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillika
I have a Viewsonic 15" V150P with an extra battery, dock and keyboard for sale. I will also include my copy of Cinemar's suite of Mainlobby, DVDLobby, Weatherlobby and Weblobby.

PM or email me emillika at yahoo.com for details.

emillika -

Can you use your finger to touch an Airpanel, or does one have to use a stylus?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Finger.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You use your finger for the airpanel.

I have an airpanel, and find it boardline useless.

The wireless chipset is flaky, there's a lot of latency inherent in a three-tier solution (airpanel -> pc -> server), it's very slow, and and it's just too big & bulky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.