AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to return my HTR-5660 for a more feature rich and more powerful receiver.

I can pretty much get any of the following from an authorized dealer for $999 or less.

The new Yamaha RX-V2400 $999

The new Sony 3000ES $999

The older Denon 3803 $999

The older Sony 4ES $899

The older Yamaha RX-V3300 $999

Basically I want more features and power than what my HTR-5660 delivers...help me make this an easier decision.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It depends somewhat on the speakers you are using as well as the size of the room. I'm not really familiar with the ES models, but out of the other three, I would lean toward the 2400, unless you have a pretty large room, in which case you may want to go to the 3300 for its extra power. The 2400 would give 7 channel instead of 6, plus the room optimizer and video upconversion to component as advantages over the 3300. As far as the 2400 vs the 3803, the 2400 does have the upgrade option via its rs232 port and the YPAO. However, it is important that you go listen each receiver, because the sound is a major feature that you don't want to overlook. ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
It is a tough choice indeed! All those receivers have a lot going for them. If you want to have some fun and test for yourself how the new digital amps in the Sony 3000ES sounds then that would be a way to go. Denon is known for it's warm sound but the new Yamaha receivers are not bright and sound pretty good IMO.

If it is features that you seek then the 2400 has the best feature set of them all and can be had for $899.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The RX-V3300 has front effects channels. These will extend the soundfield all the way up and give you four reference points instead of two for left/right. If you have a big screen the image-sound correlation is so much better. Try it if you never heard it before.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
James,

I'm pretty much in the same/similar boat as you. Thats about where I want to be in price; have decided that separates are not for me (nor my pocketbook). Just invested in my speaker set, not even out of the box yet on those. I went with a B&W CDM NT series speaker, a line that is being discontinued; therefore good pricing :).

I've heard most of the amplifiers on the list with the exception of the 2400. Not many dealers have them out just yet; although I'm heading the hear one this wkend. Of course the bad part is none of them are using the speakers that I have selected and their rooms are....well....their rooms!

Let us know what you decide; my jury is still out a little bit. Not to steal your thread; but I'd like to know if anyone has any comment on pair the B&W's with the Yamaha or Denon.

Lee

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I can eliminate the Sony because my last receiver was

an STR-555ES, it was nice but I just want to get away from them

for awhile , you know sort of play the field some.

Also I can eliminate the Denon because I am not a big fan of their "warm" sound.

This leaves the Yamahas..I had a chance to play around with the new YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) on the 2400 and its pretty neat but I am not 100% sure that its enough to get me to take

the 2400 over the 3300. The 2400 also has 7.1 which is also something

that I am not 100% sold on.

The power ratings are about the same for both units however they are

alot different machines in the amp section, which is not so apparent in the specs.

The 3300 has a 19.6 pound power supply and 22,000uF capacitance this is barely a stone throw to the Z1s amp, furthermore I have seen the guts of the 3300 vs the Z1 and they are very similar.

The 2400 has an 11.9 pound power supply and 15,000uF capacitance and the build is no different then last years HTR-5990 sold at Best Buy for $799.

I think that initially the 2400 would be more exciting to own but in the long haul I think the 3300 really is the better buy...after all it started out at $1500 , and now its $999 on sale.

There is only one other receiver that could be had that might have an equal or better amp section and that is the HK 7200. For Denon you have to spend ~$2k on a 4800 to get this kind of amp section.

Harman Kardon HK7200

Width: 17.3"

Height : 7.6"

Depth : 20.5"

Unit Weight : 59.1 lb

Yamaha RX-V3300

48.8 lbs.

DIMENSIONS (W x H x D) 17 1/8" x 7 1/2" x 17 13/16"

Denon 4800

17.1'' W x 7.1'' H x 19.4'' D

Weight 47.4 lbs.

The Pioneer VSX-45TX is being cleared out as well however

I do not know of an authorized dealer that has one.

Really this is the one I would choose for sure if I could

find one.

I am leaning towards the 3300 at this point.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson

The Pioneer VSX-45TX is being cleared out as well however

I do not know of an authorized dealer that has one.

Really this is the one I would choose for sure if I could

find one.

I am leaning towards the 3300 at this point.
The 3300 looks good, but do we have any tests confirming how it will perform? I'd think it should be pretty good though...

In multichannel, the 45tx has been tested to put up some incredible numbers (140X5) have you looked into the 53tx and 55txi ? I went with the 53tx (calling out my bias...but had NO brand loyalty before, maybe anti-pioneer). The 45/53/55tx should perform about the same on the amp section.

Depending on what you are looking for the Pioneers, yammy 3300 and HK7200 all look extremely good.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ptaaty
The 3300 looks good, but do we have any tests confirming how it will perform? I'd think it should be pretty good though...

In multichannel, the 45tx has been tested to put up some incredible numbers (140X5) have you looked into the 53tx and 55txi ? I went with the 53tx (calling out my bias...but had NO brand loyalty before, maybe anti-pioneer). The 45/53/55tx should perform about the same on the amp section.

Depending on what you are looking for the Pioneers, yammy 3300 and HK7200 all look extremely good.

Me and you are on the same page...I agree. The 45TX would be my first choice and the 7200 looks good as well. However the 3300 is local and I can get it right now, the Good Guys has one brand new one left for $999 + tx . Ill know for sure my warranty is good too. I would have to order a Pioneer or HK online and the 45TX is pretty scarce right now.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson
Me and you are on the same page...I agree. The 45TX would be my first choice and the 7200 looks good as well.I would have to order a Pioneer or HK online and the 45TX is pretty scarce right now.
James,

Check your PMs if your interested in the Elite line! ;)

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yamahaluver
What is getting old exactly? My presence?
I'll tick off both of you with my response to this. ;-)

Yamahaluver, you have never said a negative thing about Yamaha nor a positive thing about any other brand (OK, fine, maybe once or twice). As Yamaha doesn't own the exclusive rights to perfection, your bias is painfully obvious. If you are going to be biased (which you clearly can't help), at least provide some useful information in your posts (which you often do, and it is much appreciated). But saying "Yamaha rocks" or "Yamaha is clearly the best in this lot" is rather silly. Just post a blank message and we'll get the point.

Alexander, at least the guy is forthcoming with his biases by having a name like "Yamahaluver". Full disclosure is something not often given. There are others on this forum who are equally biased, though more subtle, than YammyLuvr.

Peace!

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey James

I am not an audiophile but strongly believe on my ears. I would strongly suggest audition them as every one has different taste. Before buying my Elite 43TX I read thru whole bunch of forums and this is a general Idea I got about these brands:

Yamaha: little on bright side but very detailed

Marantz and H/K : Warm sounding and very good (but some had Q/C

issues specially with H/K

Denon : Generally called as warm and overall very good reviews

Elite : Some said warm , bright and some even said 'tube sound' but overall liked by most.

I also had Yamaha in my mind but it's sound is controversial and so is the QC issues of HK. I even read a thread where a sound engineer have explained the sonic character of Yamaha vs Elite/Marantz, which I am pasting here:

(*********************.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=867)

My recommendation would be Elite/Denon. But do audition them your self.

I wouldn't give priority to features over sound. I'd rather listen to music thru 2 channels which I like rather than listening thru 7 channels which I don't like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like these guys don't let you to paste from other forums so I am pasting that guys ladst comments:

By David Susilo:

anything that's closer too a straight line accross the frequency range is "neutral"

anything that has peaks in the higher frequency is "bright"

anything that has dips in higher frequency if "muffled"

anything that has peaks in the lower frequency is "boomy"

the goal of sound reproduction is to be as natural as possible.

anything that is "bright", "muffled", "boomy" is WRONG.

IF anybody like something that's "bright", "muffled" or "boomy", it's their prerogative. But it's still wrong nevertheless.

Again, bottomline: not natural = not right.

CJ Paul, I'm a music producer whose background is in computer music, sound engineering and musicology. The fact that I've tested the unit is not enough for you? Then go spend yourself $2000 for a professional audio analyzer.

Besides, you don't need to be an expert to playback a sweeptone and look at the graph yourself and see dips and peaks of any amplifier.

Proofing it to you? give me $300 for the dedicated printer for that analyzer and I'll print it for you.

Yamaha have been using the same ToP-ART architecture for the past four years. I know this for a fact. If you like brightness, go ahead, but don't go around and telling people that it's "correct".

Your liking of Yamaha's bright sound is SUBJECTIVE, the fact that Yamaha sound is brighter is OBJECTIVE.

I'm using both Yamaha RX-Z1 and Pioneer Elite 45TX. Using the same pair of speakers, the RX-Z1 is indeed brighter than the Elite 45TX. Which one do I like better? For movies I choose RX-Z1, for music I choose the 45TX. Why? I like my music to be natural and I like my movies to be livelier.

·
6,091 Posts
Guys this will be my FIRST real receiver purchase. I've just started getting interested in audio. This is probably a stupid question but here goes. I like the Yamaha because with my level of knowledge the auto calibration is attractive. I bought the infinity primus 360 main speakers. With those and the other speakers I'll have about 850 total speaker wattage. Will the Yamaha have any trouble powering these? Is it stupid to base my purchase on something like this rather than how it sounds? How long would it take for someone with NO knowledge of audio to master the Denon 3803? My price range is the same as above. I'll be doing 5.1. Will this allow for more power since I won't be using 6.1 or 7.1? thanks guys

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Billped
I'll tick off both of you with my response to this. ;-)

Yamahaluver, you have never said a negative thing about Yamaha nor a positive thing about any other brand (OK, fine, maybe once or twice). As Yamaha doesn't own the exclusive rights to perfection, your bias is painfully obvious. If you are going to be biased (which you clearly can't help), at least provide some useful information in your posts (which you often do, and it is much appreciated). But saying "Yamaha rocks" or "Yamaha is clearly the best in this lot" is rather silly. Just post a blank message and we'll get the point.

Alexander, at least the guy is forthcoming with his biases by having a name like "Yamahaluver". Full disclosure is something not often given. There are others on this forum who are equally biased, though more subtle, than YammyLuvr.

Peace!

Bill
:)

Many thanks for your response, sure appreciate your honesty.

I have never said Yamaha is the best of all, as a matter of fact just check my posts and you will see me cautioning people about the Yamaha sonic signature. Some like myself find that clear and articulate and to others is sounds thin.

My reply to this particular post was short because the person has already checked out all the amps and just wanted an opinion. If he wanted more, I would be glad to back up my choice.

I prefer Yamaha cause I have been through the rest and Yamaha is a unique company which makes musical instruments as well as audio equipment in Pro and consumer section, but that is my taste and opinion which others can try and are certainly not bound to follow.

To call me biased is wrong as I also admire Accuphase, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer Elite, SONY ES gear. I personaly own a Accuphase DP-70 CD player, A SONY TCS-730ES deck, SONY 53" RPTV, Canton Ergo 120 speakers.

I will only chip in where a query about Yamaha is involved in the posts due to my experience with Yamaha gear. I give no opinion on other gear as that is not in my realm. I have kept various audio gear in the past and will chip in with my experience with them compared to Yamaha.

There are people in this forum who have bought Yamaha speakers with my advice and have been happy about their purchase, they all had the opportunity to audition other brands and they did and then bought the Yamaha. Some of these people never knew that Yamaha made real good speakers and if I didnt tell them to check it out, they would have never known.

Dont you see that apart from myself, no one plugs for Yamaha, the reviewers, mags no one in N.America writes about Yamaha unlike Europe where many mags give their speakers CDP and amps top ratings.

I am a loner here for Yamaha and will continue to give advice to people and it is really up to them to take it or leave it.:)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I was just a little peeved at the non-message. I don't care if you're biased or not, heck, I have a 2400 on order, but if you're going to post on every thread, at least give us a bit of new information each on why we, too, should love Yamaha. :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.