AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made 2 purchases; an LCD and a Plasma. The Plasma is a 50inch LG 50ps30 for $850 (2009 model, same screen as the ps60 and ps80, with less features). The LCD is a Sony Bravia 46inch KDR 46 EX501 for $799 (2010 model; replacing I believe the 5100 series). I have 2 months to decide, thanks to Costco's generous return policy, and the Sony comes with a 4 year warranty as opposed to LG's 3 year. I have briefly compared the 2 and they both look good. Settings are both set to a basic setting where both look similar. The LCD naturally does not look as good from the side, however, the winner will remain a TV for the bedroom so angle does not matter. Viewing distance is about 11ft. I have had the Plasma for a month, and it replaces a 720p Samsung 4264 (circa 2007) that was excellent. I must say that both are an improvement. The plasma has had some IR problems, however they wash away quickly. Sports veiwing are not a big deal in the bedroom as I do most of that in the Family room. So what do you think????? I will post this on both the LCD and Plasma sites. Thanks for all HELP!!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
which ever one looks the best to you in your viewing environment.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The IR does not really bother me as it goes away pretty quickly, however, my Sammy did not do this.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyda /forum/post/18311196

The IR does not really bother me as it goes away pretty quickly, however, my Sammy did not do this.

IR is less of a problem on Sammy and Panasonic plasmas

LG plasma's are considered the worst because they have light blacks and more IR than both of them

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
way to abuse the system!

its guys like you that forced Costco to change their return policy to 90 days in the first place.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 /forum/post/18318187

way to abuse the system!

its guys like you that forced Costco to change their return policy to 90 days in the first place.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, however, when I originally went to purchase a (Sony 46150) there were none left and the salesman talked me into the LG. Then I happened to be in Costco on the last day of the previous ad just looking to see what they had in stock. A salesman suggested that I get a raincheck on the ad and they would call me when something came in. So Sunday they called. Could not view the unit in the store, so I brought it home. Now I can compare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts