AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made 2 purchases; an LCD and a Plasma. The Plasma is a 50inch LG 50ps30 for $850 (2009 model, same screen as the ps60 and ps80, with less features). The LCD is a Sony Bravia 46inch KDR 46 EX501 for $799 (2010 model; replacing I believe the 5100 series). I have 2 months to decide, thanks to Costco's generous return policy, and the Sony comes with a 4 year warranty as opposed to LG's 3 year. I have briefly compared the 2 and they both look good. Settings are both set to a basic setting where both look similar. The LCD naturally does not look as good from the side, however, the winner will remain a TV for the bedroom so angle does not matter. Viewing distance is about 11ft. I have had the Plasma for a month, and it replaces a 720p Samsung 4264 (circa 2007) that was excellent. I must say that both are an improvement. The plasma has had some IR problems, however they wash away quickly. Sports veiwing are not a big deal in the bedroom as I do most of that in the Family room. So what do you think????? I will post this on both the LCD and Plasma sites. Thanks for all HELP!!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Since neither one would be used for anything requiring critical viewing, it is simply a matter of which picture quality you prefer, warranties, etc. You know the LCD will not be as good off-axis but that doesn't seem to be an issue. But a good deal of light and reflectivity would likely favor the Sony. Black levels are probably similar. I prefer plasma for most all viewing and especially TV where signal quality isn't always a given. In my experience LCD can show more artifacts with lesser quality signal, but that's my take.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick response. I have always preferred Plasma's, but for this application I am stumped. The room does not usually have that much external light.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You're actually the most qualified person here to tell us which is better because you actually have both sitting in your home and can critically view them. Most people who will reply will tell you what they've heard, or what they've seen in the store. Some might have one TV, but unlikely both to compare directly. I mean, so far which one do you like more and why?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a total toss-up. The LCD has its upside and the Plasma has its upside. You have heard all of the arguments about which format is better, I can tell you that at this screen size, and with these particular 2 models, it has come down to probably settings, size, price and warranty. Settings I have not managed yet. But, as for the different pro's and con's that are usually associated with each format are definately present with these two models, and that's why I am reaching out to you all for help.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Many LG models come with a very good menu system featuring a good many PQ controls. Not sure about the model you have. I use the 26" 5100 series Bravia for my computer monitor since it is one the few small TVs that feature PIP. It has excellent greyscale out of the box but leaves a lot to be desired in other PQ controls. Don't know about the larger screens in the series. If it came down to bigger size and more PQ settings with the LG, that would seal the deal for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts