AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me. There is a question here.

I'm in the market for a new speaker system and have been reading/searching the forum for a while. All the information I have found has actually made my decision more difficult... information overload if you will.

I'm trying to stay around (or below) $1000 and still get pretty good sound. The system will be going into my 14' x 21' living room, which has carpet and a coffered ceiling. The room is 2788 cu. ft. if that's helpful. The system will be used primarily for movies, but should also be able to handle music fairly well.

I have a 56" Samsung DLP, DirecTV HD DVR, Sony DVD/SACD Player, and a Sony Receiver. The receiver will probably be replaced this year; it's working just fine at the moment, so it'll stay for now.

I've looked at and listened to a number of speaker systems, including Infinity, Klipsch, Polk, and even a couple of HTIBs from Denon and Onkyo. I'm leaning toward the Polk RM series right now... probably the RM20s for about $700. But that doesn't leave me much money for a sub; that's a discussion for another forum.

So, with all that in mind, are there any speaker systems I may not be aware of that would fit my needs? Any that you'd recommend? Any that I should definately stay away from?

Thanks a bunch!

Paul

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just wanted to add...

I've researched, but haven't listened to the following:

KEF Audio: I either don't care for the styling or they're out of my price range.

HSU Research: Their bookshelf speakers are too big for my needs, and the ventriloquist isn't quite what I'm looking for. And the strange wiring puts me off.

Boston Acoustics: Looks great, but they're out of my price range.

Bose: Um, no.

Mirage: I'd like to hear the Nanosats, and am looking for a place to audition them.

Klipsch: I either don't care for the styling or they're out of my price range.

I'm still leaning towards the Polk RM series and haven't decided on a sub yet.

Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.