AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I currently have a dual LND dish right now on my balcony of apt building, both lines going into 2x4 multiswitch. WOrks great

Now I may be moving to an apt building that has Directv satellite in the building already, runs through the cable lines....

99% sure only 1 line comes into the apt......question is...can 1 line be run into multiswitch and then out to 1 UTV with 2 tuners? or will that not work?

I am guessing the cable outlet in the bedroom would work strange somehow also

I was planning on running 1 line to multiswitch and then out to TV in BR and UTV in living room.

Does that sound like it would work?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cygnus3978
99% sure only 1 line comes into the apt......question is...can 1 line be run into multiswitch and then out to 1 UTV with 2 tuners? or will that not work?

I am guessing the cable outlet in the bedroom would work strange somehow also

I was planning on running 1 line to multiswitch and then out to TV in BR and UTV in living room.

Does that sound like it would work?
Sorry, a single line into the multiswitch will not work to give you dual channel utv. You need one line from each converter of a dual lnb sytem in order to view 2 channels simultaneously unless they happen to both be on the same polarity lnb.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...see the thing is you have no way of knowing how they set up the commercial Directv System on the roof, so you don't know what polarity it is....

Oh well

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

If you've only got one line you'll only get 1 tuner to work as already mentioned.

So you'll need to get a second line. Check with the landlord to see if you can get another line run or maybe the apt. is already wired, but not connected.

Depending on how the DTV system is setup at this new apt. you might be lucky enough to get another line...

An alternative is you could install your own dish. Run one or two lines directly off that... :)

The polarity of the DTV lines you have now and at the apt. are "dual" they switch either way... However, with just access to one line, only one tuner can do this... A multi-switch allows a dual lnb (2 tuner line) to serve more units... it does this by locking the polarity of both lnbs and allowing tuners to switch to either lnb polarity as needed.

Later,

·
Registered
248 Posts
There's a good chance the apartment building is using a stacked solution. If this is the case, you can use a splitter and destackers . In fact, if the signal is stacked, you'll need at least one destacker just to get one tuner to work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a UTV in an apartment serviced by SWB and use a splitter, a single destacker and a 2x4 multiswitch. There is extensive information on the TiVo forum www.tivocommunity.com You can link there from the AVS forum. Search for DeStackers and information from Feldon23. I just looked and it appears their site is temporarily down. When it comes back up, do a search for destacker and you will find the threads.

The 9thtee site recommends a traditional method of using dual destackers, but a single detacker and a 2x4 (or larger) will give the same result for less money and more outputs if you want to run more than one receiver in one place.

You take the feed from the wall, run it to a 2MHz splitter. From the splitter, one signal goes to one input on the multiswitch. The other goes to the DeStacker then to the other input on the multiswitch. The outputs from the multiswitch goes to your receivers.

There are some models of receivers (some Sony's and some Hughes) that have the destacker built in and that is all you will get through official channels. UTV's do not have that built in to its receivers. You may also have a hard time getting UTV service without some subterfuge as the service providers are not set up to allow it. UTV is such a life-changing appliance that the subterfuge is worth the trouble.

Another source of information and the equipment is http://www.wiredathome.com/stacksat.htm

·
Registered
21 Posts
The stacked solution is I think a little optimistic. Most landlords will try to get by with the cheapest solution possible I'm sure.

You will most likely need the two lines. Why not try to grab the neighbors feed (with their approval) and give them an output or two back? If you're lucky (wishful thinking), the jacks will be on a shared wall. You can bring both lines into your apartment, into your multiswitch, 2 out to your UTV, 1 or 2 back into the wall and out to your neighbors jack.

Stacker or not, that should work either way right? I'm not familiar with the stacker systems. My 3x8 multiswitch works great, but my house came correctly prewired :)

Good luck!

--Darren

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darrenmadams
The stacked solution is I think a little optimistic. Most landlords will try to get by with the cheapest solution possible I'm sure.
That's exactly why they do use it in large MDU situations.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They won't use a multi-switch solution as it costs too much per port. With the stacked solution they just use the outut from a splitter at a couple of bucks per port to each of the outlets. My apartment has two outlets in the living room and one in each bedroom. No way they will use up 4 ports on a multiswitch.

They will try to supply the DTV receiver which will be one of the models that has the built-in destacker. Any other type of receiver including UTV's will only receive the odd channels. If you buy the slpitter, detacker and multiswitch, you can run a UTV on any or all of the outlets in the apartment.

The hard thing is to get it turned on for service without going through the apartmetn DTV supplier.

Paul

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darrenmadams
You will most likely need the two lines. Why not try to grab the neighbors feed (with their approval) and give them an output or two back? If you're lucky (wishful thinking), the jacks will be on a shared wall. You can bring both lines into your apartment, into your multiswitch, 2 out to your UTV, 1 or 2 back into the wall and out to your neighbors jack.

Stacker or not, that should work either way right? I'm not familiar with the stacker systems.
This will only work if each of the 2 wires comes from the opposite polarity lnb. If you're lucky, that may be the case (50/50 depending on how the building cable was routed).

If they are stacked then you just need the one line & one destacker feeding your multiswitch.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No, if they're not stacked then they're switchable. Putting the two independent feeds (yours and your neighbor's) into a mutiswitch would indeed work if it's a non-stacked hookup (it's basically cascading multiswitches).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.