AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting up a rig like the one described in this thread , a combined Wade VIP 306 and an AntennasDirect 91XG with rotor.

Would a tower like this be adequate for such a load? I like the fact that she'll come down easily for maintenance and in advance of harsh weather, but I don't want to awake to find it in a heap one morning.

If this is a no-go, what direction should I take this in next?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycubsfan /forum/post/0

I'm thinking about putting up a rig like the one described in this thread , a combined Wade VIP 306 and an AntennasDirect 91XG with rotor.

Would a tower like this be adequate for such a load? I like the fact that she'll come down easily for maintenance and in advance of harsh weather, but I don't want to awake to find it in a heap one morning.

If this is a no-go, what direction should I take this in next?

Thanks in advance.

I looked at this tower. A few things bother me about it. First I should say I have two amateur radio towers, a 50 guyed Rohn 25 tower and a 72' crank-up tower. The 40' tower gives no information on what wind load it can handle. This is very important. Secondly, I don't see any raising fixture for it. There's no way you'll be able to tilt up a 40 ' tower by yourself without a raising a fixture. Maybe if you have a bunch of guys and couple guys on the roof with a rope tied near the top you might be able to do it. I wouldn't want to try it though. Also this appears to be a non-guyed tower and no concrete base. It doesn't sound very permanent to me.

If you really want to put up a tower that you can raise and lower by yourself easily, I'd look at the US Tower tubular towers. They cost a lot more but IMO the cost is justified by the ease of working on it and the fact it'll never come down no matter what combo of TV antennas you put on it.

http://www.ustower.com/

Order from Ham Radio Outlet (cheaper)

http://www.hamradio.com/

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The $1,2XX US Tower 40' model isn't all that much more expensive than the one I posted, and looks to be a great deal more substantial. Thanks for the tip.

Is your '72 from US Tower? Are you satisfied?

·
Registered
6,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycubsfan /forum/post/0

The $1,2XX US Tower 40' model isn't all that much more expensive than the one I posted, and looks to be a great deal more substantial. Thanks for the tip.

Is your '72 from US Tower? Are you satisfied?

Yes, it is and I'm satisfied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.